shape
carat
color
clarity

G, H, I color sensitivity ...

wishingstar

Shiny_Rock
PSers have suggested that I-J BGD, ACA, Infinity would face up quite white, and I would love to enjoy one of those as I can get a much larger stone, so I took everyone''s advice and went to compare some sizes and colors again yesterday. Not too much to compare in the 2ct range.

At one retailer I was able to compare Ideals F-J in 1-1.5ct stones on white paper and I could see the difference below H. At the second retailer I compared a G and H in tweezers without knowing which was which, and easily picked out the H. The only mounted was a 2ct F and that was picking up yellow from the displays and walls, so it sparkled but looked a little yellow to me even, so I''m assuming it would look yellower even if it was an I-J

So, does this mean that I''m very color sensitive and that I shouldnt go lower than an G/H. or does this mean nothing since they were not super ideals. I am trying to maximize the size of my upgrade, but I want to enjoy the stone everytime I look at it, and I''m used to colorless. Is the only thing left to do, is order a stone from BGD or WF, HP? Which color should I try first? and there is no way to compare, unless I wire $$$ for a few stones at the same time, and I dont think I want to do that. Is there any way to have the stones sent to an independant appraiser for a deposit or some sort, so I can compare the stones?

SpartanRed

Rough_Rock
Trade
So I was in the same boat as you when it came to my recent ring purchase. I wanted to maximize size but did not want to sacrifice oh cut quality. I ended up getting a J 1.41 AGS000 from BGD and it is absolutely white face up. I put it into a bead set cathedral also from BGD so the sides are semi hidden (where you would see color the most). There is no way to tell color from pictures and the best advice would come from the people at BGD. They didn''t lie to me and assured me that my J would be very white face up and it is indeed so.

If you are concerned about your color sensitivity then you should continue to do what you are doing and look at stones at jewelry stores. You also have to remember that how often is your ring going to be side by side to another diamond of higher or lower color? It''s not like you will be walking around with a master set of stones. So maybe you can look at stones separately and see if you are comfortable with the warmer I-J or need something that might be whiter.

I will have pictures of the ring I got my fiance up tonight. It may look a little yellow in the pictures but that can be all lighting because "in the wild" it is totally white, which may be due to it''s ideal cut.

urseberry

Brilliant_Rock
Check out Good Old Gold''s Vimeo channel Diamond Videos. They have lots of comparisons posted, including differently colored large diamonds. I think this is the closest to a real life view you can get without having the diamonds in front of you. They even move the stones around into different lighting.

wishingstar

Shiny_Rock
Spartan, thanks for that confidence builder on the J BGD, as I mentioned, then I might be able to get into the 2ct range.
urseberry, great video info... thanks!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
the GOG videos are really helpful.

At maul stores and brick and mortar jewelers I am pretty color sensative and can easily distinguish between colors.

I can see the tint in my BGD H&A K if I tilt it, but since it is in a necklace it just looks white and sparkly looking head on. I will say that because it is a softer white, I think that the K doesn''t have quite as much presence/"pop" as much as my F earrings. I am pretty sure if you don''t go below J you''ll be happy visually, mentally is another story:)

In a ring, if I were concerned about color, I would probably go to Jareds and compare the peerless diamonds I think that''s the best comparision according to PSers for ideal cut color comparisions, and see what I thought.

Side by side you will probably always be able to tell the difference between and F and a J, the question is will it bother you face up in a ring and does the larger size make it worth it
2.gif

Only you can answer that for yourself....

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/10/2010 2:25:19 PM
Author:wishingstar
PSers have suggested that I-J BGD, ACA, Infinity would face up quite white, and I would love to enjoy one of those as I can get a much larger stone, so I took everyone's advice and went to compare some sizes and colors again yesterday. Not too much to compare in the 2ct range.

At one retailer I was able to compare Ideals F-J in 1-1.5ct stones on white paper and I could see the difference below H. At the second retailer I compared a G and H in tweezers without knowing which was which, and easily picked out the H. The only mounted was a 2ct F and that was picking up yellow from the displays and walls, so it sparkled but looked a little yellow to me even, so I'm assuming it would look yellower even if it was an I-J

So, does this mean that I'm very color sensitive and that I shouldnt go lower than an G/H. or does this mean nothing since they were not super ideals. I am trying to maximize the size of my upgrade, but I want to enjoy the stone everytime I look at it, and I'm used to colorless. Is the only thing left to do, is order a stone from BGD or WF, HP? Which color should I try first? and there is no way to compare, unless I wire $$$ for a few stones at the same time, and I dont think I want to do that. Is there any way to have the stones sent to an independant appraiser for a deposit or some sort, so I can compare the stones?
If the stones you were looking at were GIA Exs or AGS0/1/2s then superideals really wouldn't hide tint better. When we say "ideals hide colour better face up" we mean compared to poorly cut stones, as opposed to the top 5% compared to the top 20%, if that makes sense?

The reality is that no cut in the world is going to make a J face up like a G above say 0.5ct, and probably not even then. So if you're finding that you're colour sensitive, it's definitely something you'll need to consider when it comes time to make your purchase.

I will say that when you purchase your diamond and have it set it will never be as naked as lying face-down on a white piece of paper, so you'll never see the tint that strongly. If you choose a setting that hides a significant portion of the pavilion you could easily go one grade below your "naked comfort-point" and not see the difference IRL..

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
I personally like the G-H range because many other rings/pave work items come in that range so if you want a sparkley band it will match up with your diamond. Personally, I''m also color sensitive and would only go lower in lower for a larger stone if I wore it without a diamond band, since I''d be concered the diamond band would show off the color difference.

wishingstar

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/10/2010 4:21:43 PM
Author: Bella_mezzo
the GOG videos are really helpful.

At maul stores and brick and mortar jewelers I am pretty color sensative and can easily distinguish between colors.

I can see the tint in my BGD H&A K if I tilt it, but since it is in a necklace it just looks white and sparkly looking head on. I will say that because it is a softer white, I think that the K doesn''t have quite as much presence/''pop'' as much as my F earrings. I am pretty sure if you don''t go below J you''ll be happy visually, mentally is another story:)

In a ring, if I were concerned about color, I would probably go to Jareds and compare the peerless diamonds I think that''s the best comparision according to PSers for ideal cut color comparisions, and see what I thought.

Side by side you will probably always be able to tell the difference between and F and a J, the question is will it bother you face up in a ring and does the larger size make it worth it
2.gif

Only you can answer that for yourself....
Thanks Bella, I''ll have to go to Jareds again, but as I recall, they really didnt have too many to compare above 1ct. The H & J stones you posted in my other topic look like contenders, but then there''s the question of how much can I tell the diff btwn 1.8 and 2ct,
3.gif
arrghhh

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/10/2010 5:15:14 PM
Author: winternight
I personally like the G-H range because many other rings/pave work items come in that range so if you want a sparkley band it will match up with your diamond. Personally, I''m also color sensitive and would only go lower in lower for a larger stone if I wore it without a diamond band, since I''d be concered the diamond band would show off the color difference.
That is exactly my dilemma, all my other bands have F,G stones, that is why I don''t even think I can get an H for my 2ct upgrade because I would be able to see the color difference if I wear my rings together, and it would bother me to no end.

wishingstar

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/10/2010 4:45:04 PM
Author: yssie

I will say that when you purchase your diamond and have it set it will never be as naked as lying face-down on a white piece of paper, so you''ll never see the tint that strongly. If you choose a setting that hides a significant portion of the pavilion you could easily go one grade below your ''naked comfort-point'' and not see the difference IRL..
Yssie, so looks like 6prong it is
36.gif
but will thin thin prongs suffice for this illusion? because I dont like really intricate thicker prongs, or ie Leon''s Tulip prong. tried to upload the file, but it wont...sorry. I also called Leon to ask if he could make another head and he just said, "then get the 4prong" oh well, from what I read, thats Leon, I''ll have to work on him, since I seem to really like his work and his eccentric personality.
11.gif

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would definitely think six thin prongs better for hiding the pavilion than four thicker ones - anything that chops up the pavilion view is a good thing for this purpose, I''d say.

I''ve never worked with Leon but his creations are truly spectacular, even when they''re not to my tastes
1.gif

wishingstar

Shiny_Rock
that''s a good point that I''ve thought of as well, but then another PSers here put a 1.7 I color BGD H&A in a center 3stone ring with G .85ct sidestones and they say it still faces up white together. interesting huh
33.gif

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
What do you already have?
I think what you''re used to can have a lot to do with how color sensitive you are. Or become. I had a H color ring for years, not AGS or GIA graded that looked completely white to me. Then I got an F color ring for a significant anniversary. I didn''t think I cared about color but now I find that I''m not annoyed, exactly, but don''t like looking at my H color from the side. I wear the AGS F on the other hand and when the rings are close together, the contrast bothers me nowadays.
Of course the "H" color is probably more like an I or even a J in AGS, or GIA terms. But I have H color earrings, extremely well cut (they are ACA''s) and extremely beautiful (also, significantly larger than my ring) and yes, I can tell that there is a color difference between the F and the AGS H, too. I also don''t find that the wonderful cut actually hides any color, as I keep seeing written on this board. The wonderful cut makes the earrings look great, and they sparkle like mad and I love them, but it doesn''t make them look like F''s. Face up the difference is not extreme (though it''s there) but when you look into the diamonds from the side, there''s a huge difference. But I think , had I gotten an AGS H ring and never seen the AGS F ring, I still wouldn''t be color-sensitive (as I didn''t used to be). And I repeat, the AGS H is not ugly, or dingy or anything of the kind.
This is a long reply to say, there is a difference and as your eye gets more educated you are likely to notice it more, but it may or may not bother you, and a lot depends on what you are used to and what you like. There are plenty of people on Pricescope who have gone down from very high colors because small sizes bother them more than some color does.I think you have to figure what would annoy you more.
Maybe get a style of ring where you can''t see into the side?

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like colorless diamonds but I like big diamonds more
2.gif
If you are like me, then I would recommend ordering a J color from one of those vendors in a simple inexpensive 6 prong setting and seeing if you like it. If it is too tinted, then return it and start over!

The only way you will know *for sure* is if you see the diamond in person. If you decide to get a smaller H color, for example, you will always wonder "What if?" about the bigger J you would have had.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/10/2010 5:36:57 PM
Author: wishingstar

that''s a good point that I''ve thought of as well, but then another PSers here put a 1.7 I color BGD H&A in a center 3stone ring with G .85ct sidestones and they say it still faces up white together. interesting huh
33.gif
As a note, small diamonds like those used for pave or in thin ewternity bands will *always* look whiter than a larger diamond. It is the nature of light return. You actually see little or no body color in a well cut melee size diamond, and with little contast as well they just look like little white circles.

Case and point: I am color sensitive and I own a half eternity with H/! melee. It looked the same relative to my G color 1.2ct and my K color 1.2ct.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I've had diamonds ranging from D -E- F to G-H-I to J-K!! And I can tell you:

1) to my untrained/ novice but very colour-sensitive eyes, I can see the colour difference between D and F stones, certainly sideways next to each other and even face-up if I look hard. I can definitely - with no difficulty - spot an F colour diamond apart from a J, even face-up, when presented together. I've had people tell me that I shouldn't see the colour diference between a G and an H, say, but I do even when they are NOT placed next to each other. The differences within one range (say D, E, F) are certainly very minimal but I do see them (however, going from J to K is a huge colour jump btw). So, I would think that going from G to I, you'd almost certainly see the difference, unless you are very colour IN-sensitive.

2) The cut does make a BIG difference to a diamond's apperance/ sparkliness/ fireyness (sp?), but IMHO, I don't think that even a superb cut would make an I coloured diamond look like a G - certainly not from the side.

3) I'd be prepared to sacrifice colour for size, over and above a certain size difference (and I have). But that size difference (ie. the colour/ size trade-off) is very much a personal decision (ie. how "mind-clean" do you want your diamond to be?).

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
wishingstar...these are my wife's rings. pretty hard to see the difference if viewed from top.

the 4 prong... GIA H (high H,closer to a G)
the 6 prong....AGS I (low I,closer to a J)
the 5 stone.....WF F/G

DSCN1949bvj.JPG

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/11/2010 3:40:46 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
wishingstar...these are my wife''s rings. pretty hard to see the difference if viewed from top.

the 4 prong... GIA H (high H,closer to a G)
the 6 prong....AGS I (low I,closer to a J)
the 5 stone.....WF F/G

DSCN1949bvj.JPG
DF, can you please post more pictures of her "G/H" solitaire next to the F/G band? That is probably the route I''ll be going. Her rings are GORGEUOS by the way. How many carats is that G/H Honker?

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
Dancing fire, your wife''s rings are lovely!

The OP needs to keep in mind though that you can''t tell about diamond color or compare diamond colors via computer monitor, or by video, but only in person.

I think the most useful thing pointed out on here has been that nothing is going to make a J look like an F (not even the most superb cut). Nor an I, either (and dare I add, an H--at least from the side, which most settings do expose). But you may not care. Many will sacrifice color for size and there are others for whom it is not a sacrifice since they actually like the lower color.

But there are also those who look at the wonderful photos of lower colored diamonds on P''scope and think that there is either no difference, or that they will be fine, and then in person find that there IS a difference and that they do not like it.

Just don''t get stuck.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
J''s mom...i''ll see if i can find some other pics when i come back from lunch.

the H is a H&A 3.34ct from GOG.
the I is a recut H&A 1.15ct from Infinity.

wishingstar

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/11/2010 4:04:15 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
J''s mom...i''ll see if i can find some other pics when i come back from lunch.

the H is a H&A 3.34ct from GOG.
the I is a recut H&A 1.15ct from Infinity.
Dancing Fire, that''s a huge rock!
30.gif

Spartan, beautiful ring, she''s a lucky girl

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/11/2010 1:19:19 PM
Author: SpartanRed
Here are some pics of my fiance''s J

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/bgd-e-ring-newly-engaged.142755/

Hi Spartan, your fiancee''s ring is beautiful, and while the centerstone is very white face up, it may not be white enough when worn next to a band that has colorless ("F") stones. I do''t mind the warmer colors as long as they are worn alone, in a stand-alone piece.

I think that is the issue that wishingstar and I have. As color-sensitive gals, we probably have several pieces of jewelry in the D-E-F , and despite some people''s inability to distinguish the difference between a J and G stone next to each other...to us it is glaringly obvious.

I can even tell when they are one color grade apart....I''m really hesitating to go below a "G" for my 2 ct upgrade because my wedding band has F/G stones, and larger stones show more color!

wishingstar

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/10/2010 7:52:06 PM
Author: dreamer_d
I like colorless diamonds but I like big diamonds more
2.gif
If you are like me, then I would recommend ordering a J color from one of those vendors in a simple inexpensive 6 prong setting and seeing if you like it. If it is too tinted, then return it and start over!

The only way you will know *for sure* is if you see the diamond in person. If you decide to get a smaller H color, for example, you will always wonder ''What if?'' about the bigger J you would have had.
Dreamer and Pheonix, great points. Cant wait to see your new rock Dreamer.
36.gif

I think that will be my route as size seems to be the drive for this project. and upping from a 1.35 to a 1.7 doesnt seem enough for me. It needs to be in the 2ct range, so my ''mind'' tells me.
9.gif

Thanks to everyone for your great input on color expectations!

wishingstar

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/10/2010 7:36:53 PM
Author: Black Jade
What do you already have?
I think what you''re used to can have a lot to do with how color sensitive you are. Or become. I had a H color ring for years, not AGS or GIA graded that looked completely white to me. Then I got an F color ring for a significant anniversary. I didn''t think I cared about color but now I find that I''m not annoyed, exactly, but don''t like looking at my H color from the side. I wear the AGS F on the other hand and when the rings are close together, the contrast bothers me nowadays.
Of course the ''H'' color is probably more like an I or even a J in AGS, or GIA terms. But I have H color earrings, extremely well cut (they are ACA''s) and extremely beautiful (also, significantly larger than my ring) and yes, I can tell that there is a color difference between the F and the AGS H, too. I also don''t find that the wonderful cut actually hides any color, as I keep seeing written on this board. The wonderful cut makes the earrings look great, and they sparkle like mad and I love them, but it doesn''t make them look like F''s. Face up the difference is not extreme (though it''s there) but when you look into the diamonds from the side, there''s a huge difference. But I think , had I gotten an AGS H ring and never seen the AGS F ring, I still wouldn''t be color-sensitive (as I didn''t used to be). And I repeat, the AGS H is not ugly, or dingy or anything of the kind.
This is a long reply to say, there is a difference and as your eye gets more educated you are likely to notice it more, but it may or may not bother you, and a lot depends on what you are used to and what you like. There are plenty of people on Pricescope who have gone down from very high colors because small sizes bother them more than some color does.I think you have to figure what would annoy you more.
Maybe get a style of ring where you can''t see into the side?
I''ve lived with my rings D 1.1, F 1.3, 1.5 tcw G/H 5stone, H .74ct pendant, F .90ctw earings, for over 12yrs now, and I dont wear the rings together or have them side by side to compare them to each other, but everytime I wear the G/H 5stone, ithe tint slightly bothers me even tho they''re not huge stones and you cant see the sides of the stone. The H pendant doesnt so much because it''s on my neck and I dont look at it while i''m wearing it. So whether I''m color sensitive or not, I know I love that pop of that icy white or D-F.

But like Dreamer mentioned, I''ll never know, so I think I''ll just have to try the H-J colors and hope that my eyes will allow me to sacrifice some icyness for a significant size increase
27.gif

will keep everyone posted once I get a stone in my hands. thnx for all the input!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/11/2010 3:55:17 PM
Author: Black Jade
Dancing fire, your wife''s rings are lovely!

The OP needs to keep in mind though that you can''t tell about diamond color or compare diamond colors via computer monitor, or by video, but only in person.

I think the most useful thing pointed out on here has been that nothing is going to make a J look like an F (not even the most superb cut). Nor an I, either (and dare I add, an H--at least from the side, which most settings do expose). But you may not care. Many will sacrifice color for size and there are others for whom it is not a sacrifice since they actually like the lower color.

But there are also those who look at the wonderful photos of lower colored diamonds on P''scope and think that there is either no difference, or that they will be fine, and then in person find that there IS a difference and that they do not like it.

Just don''t get stuck.
true ! guess what i try to say if you were just to glance at the rings then it is pretty hard to see difference,but from its side i can definitely see the difference in color.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/11/2010 3:48:13 PM
Author: jaysonsmom

DF, can you please post more pictures of her ''G/H'' solitaire next to the F/G band? That is probably the route I''ll be going. Her rings are GORGEUOS by the way. How many carats is that G/H Honker?
Jsmom...sorry,don''t have a pic of her H color ring with the 5 stone. this is the I color 1.15ct ring with the F/G 5 stone ring.

I 1.15ct.JPG

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the picture DF!
As I said time and time again, I can see the difference in color...even in pictures
5.gif

I may have to wait a couple more years to get the size and color I want.
39.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/11/2010 11:15:34 PM
Author: jaysonsmom
Thanks for the picture DF!
As I said time and time again, I can see the difference in color...even in pictures
5.gif

I may have to wait a couple more years to get the size and color I want.
39.gif
or you can do another upgrade in couple of yrs.
2.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
SEEING the difference and CARING about the difference are not the same thing.

Most people who own lowered colored stones can see the difference - they just don''t care :)

I don''t think you have a special ability to see color at that range... now you just have to decide whether you hate it, tolerate it, or even like it. Some people prefer the diamonds with the tiniest hint of color because they appear more substantial, they have a little visual weight. Or because they look warm.

I love the warmer colors and my stone in my avatar is a very low J - but I discourage people from getting a J if they still think color = bad.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results