shape
carat
color
clarity

Funny old M/N stone, new WF setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Alleyoop

Rough_Rock

Newbie here.I just finished resetting my e-ring stone from an 1910 era estate style setting into a beautiful new WF Legato Sleek Line and thought I would write up my little journey as it might be helpful to others.The reason I had the stone reset is because the setting is just too frail to wear and I wanted to both save the stone and the setting to be restored in the future.I have had the prongs replaced 3 times (two times after having the stone pop off in my hand!) and now the shank, which was worn down to a tiny 1.1mm finally broke.

The original e-ring my husband gave to me 7 years ago had been in his family for a long time and of course had no papers or certificates.The first thing he did was propose, and as soon as I said yes, we took it in to be checked out (the stone was loose in the setting) and appraised so that it could be insured.The jeweler told us that the setting was pre-1910 platinum and the stone was a 2.10 ct OEC.The reason it was so loose is that it had a HUGE chip on the girdle which was dangerously close to cleaving the stone in two.She said that the stone had to be recut, without question.Of course, we let her send the stone in for cutting.I was told that they only cut from the girdle-down and so we lost only the tiniest amount of width, mostly loosing the ct weight off of the depth.The stone is now 2.04ct.Had I known then what I know now (after reading PS obsessively) I might have made a different decision about cutting the stone… but what is done is done.Technically, the stone then appraised as a RB, (wouldn''t it be Transistional??) here are the stats:

Shape- RB

Measurements- 8.15x8.13x5.25mm

Weight- 2.04

Clarity- VS2

Color- M/N

Girdle- Medium

Depth- 64.5%

Table- 51.6%

Sym, Polish- excellent

Flor- none

Cutlet- none (it had a big one prior to cutting)

Part of the reason of writing all this is to show how pretty/different a M/N stone can be.I have read so much on PS about “facing up” white, and if I didn’t see pics of my stone, then I might not be able to really know what that means.I wanted to show you some pictures from WF and some I have taken that I think really illustrate how different a colored stone can look in different lights, from different angels.I LOVE my diamond.I love its warmth, history, size, sparkle, everything about it.I love that I can pick it out of a line-up in a minute, which is unique and different.

WF did my stone proud and I am blown away by the new setting.I plan on someday putting a colored stone in the old setting and have it completely restored. Keep it alive, as it may be.Thanks for letting me share and here come a whole load of pics!

HeatherLawrence_0815a.jpg

Alleyoop

Rough_Rock
This is a pic of a band they are showing me. You can see the color of the stone in this one.

HeatherLawrence_0815b.jpg

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh Good GOD that is STUNNING! I have a 2.09 carat K/L colored OMC that is being re-polished (2 chips in the girdle, but no re-cutting, just a spiff up) and set as we speak and your pics just get my heart racing in anticipation! BEAUTIFUL!!!

Alleyoop

Rough_Rock
This is the estate setting, as yellow as the stone will be... I took the pic inside, on a cloudy day in a RED room, over a wood table.

old_ringtop1.jpg

Alleyoop

Rough_Rock
The setting has 3 OEC beadset stones on each side. One is either very dirty or one jewler told me it was "blown out" or darkened from the high heat of all the work done on the setting. Is that true? Either way, hope this helps someone!

old_ringside2.jpg

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
Helloooooooo Beautiful!

30.gif
That''s some diamond!!
30.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I absolutely adore that Legato setting, and your diamond is gorgeous! It''s too bad the original setting was worn out. What is interesting to me is that people on here often say they chose platinum because it never gets thin or brittle yet it sounds like your thin shank and broken prongs prove that theory wrong. But I am getting very interested in these beautiful old stones in lower colors! They really are lovely!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh how stunning! Your stone is gorgeous and the new setting compliments it beautifully!

snlee

Ideal_Rock
I love the new setting! In a lot of your pictures the diamond faces up very white! I would have never guessed it was a M/N! I think your ering looks perfect next to the WF eternity band!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, your stone is just gorgeous!!

Jenn5504

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, that stone is a beauty! Faces up unbelieveably white in many of those pics! Love the gorgeous new setting, very classic yet a tad unique! What an incredible story of that stone. You''re a lucky lady!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
I love how your old stone looks in that new setting! I have one of similar era...Love that Legato setting. Enjoy it
9.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Wow! It''s gorgeous!

BTW, I had a local jeweller replace a head on a diamond pendant of mine (to accomodate a larger stone), and the heat requried to solder the head, turned the melee in the pendant rather "white(ish)". Sparkle lost.

cheers--Sharon

BigDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
What a GORGEOUS
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
stone! It looks great in its new setting. Congrats on a knockout ring!

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
Wow, how did I miss this? I just wanted to say that is a beautiful stone, I love the warmth and the new setting is just perfect!!!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
YUM YUM YUM- just beautiful!!
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results