shape
carat
color
clarity

Full cuts or single cuts for a VC Emilya w/ 2.7 RB center?

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
Hello lovely Pricescopers -

I am in the final stages of determining the specs for my Emilya halo with Victor Canera (and matching band). He and I spent an hour on the phone yesterday - he is so wonderful to work with!

I am debating on single cuts vs. full cuts to complement my 2.68 F VS2 RB center stone. I have searched and read about everything that I've been able to find on the full cut vs. single cut debate here on Pricescope. My understanding of the basics is that:

- in melee stones single cuts offer larger flashes than full cuts, resulting in more sparkle and what some perceive as a brighter, whiter effect
- generally speaking, single cuts are suggested to enhance chunkier faceted stones and 'antique' type settings, whereas full cuts are suggested to enhance more splintery-faceted stones and more 'modern' settings; with RB's the consensus seems to be that you could go either way as it depends on a matter of taste / preference
- as is the case for larger stones, cut is still king. Victor, of course, uses only the finest cut melee stones so I have no concern about cut discrepancy
- if I went with single cut melee I would ask to purchase some extra stones from the same lot in order to facilitate matching stones should I ever lose any.

I have never seen single cut melee in real life, and so have been looking at countless youtube videos in high definition to try and ascertain the difference. It's a difficult subtlety to pick up on in photos / video.

I have read some opinions that for larger RB centers, single cuts do a better job of complementing the flashes from the larger facets, while others are of the opinion that full cut melee offers a nice contrast for a larger RB center. My 'inspiration ring' is frankie's wonderful Victor Canera Emilya with a 2.3 ct center stone. Her ring features full cut melee:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/victor-canera-rb-halo-ring-my-forever-setting-finally.164262/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/victor-canera-rb-halo-ring-my-forever-setting-finally.164262/[/URL]

Victor seems to be leaning towards single cut melee, and my instinct is to follow his suggestion and go with the single cuts. That said, it's difficult to make a decision that relies heavily on personal preference when I have never had the benefit of comparing excellent quality single vs. full cut melee in person.

So, I am asking those of you who have much more experience than me - what would you choose in this instance, and why?

As a final aside, my goal with this setting is to showcase my center stone to maximum effect. I am choosing the Emilya halo and Victor to execute it as I think that he does a wonderful job of creating an enhancing halo which is not so busy as to detract from the center stone.

Thank you very much for any and all feedback! Have a wonderful weekend, everyone! :wavey:

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Full cuts or single cuts for a VC Emilya w/ 2.7 RB cente

I have his Emilya halo with my mahenge spinel with single cuts and love them.

LuvStr8Tth

Rough_Rock

My vote is for single cuts. I was in the same boat as you until Victor pulled out a sample of both loose single and full cut melee diamonds to evaluate. When I compared the two side by side, I loved how the single cuts had the bigger and broader flashes. That convinced me that single cuts were the way to go and I've been pleased with my decision every time I see the ring on my wife's finger. I took some macro shots in my original post here: https://www.pricescope.com/forum/sh...setting-with-single-cut-melee-t165065-30.html

Good luck

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I vote single cuts!

Bigger flashes, what could be better? :naughty:

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock

bright ice|1337445413|3199176 said:
I have his Emilya halo with my mahenge spinel with single cuts and love them.

Thanks for your feedback, brightice - that Spinel is absolutely gorgeous, and I've never seen an 'Emilya' done in a halo shape before - it's extraordinary!

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock

LuvStr8Tth|1337489996|3199543 said:
My vote is for single cuts. I was in the same boat as you until Victor pulled out a sample of both loose single and full cut melee diamonds to evaluate. When I compared the two side by side, I loved how the single cuts had the bigger and broader flashes. That convinced me that single cuts were the way to go and I've been pleased with my decision every time I see the ring on my wife's finger. I took some macro shots in my original post here: https://www.pricescope.com/forum/sh...setting-with-single-cut-melee-t165065-30.html

Good luck

Thanks for weighing in - much appreciated! I actually found your thread when I was doing my research on single vs. full cuts, and it was one of the factors that got me seriously thinking that I was leaning towards single cuts. The fact that you had the benefit of seeing both side to side in Victor's studio is huge - thanks for sharing your experience and feedback. That ring is absolutely gorgeous!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am not sure it would really matter as both would be gorgeous, but I DO strongly favor single cuts with antique style cut center stones such as AVC's or OEC's, etc. With modern rb's, I don't feel strongly either way.

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1337531961|3199728 said:
I am not sure it would really matter as both would be gorgeous, but I DO strongly favor single cuts with antique style cut center stones such as AVC's or OEC's, etc. With modern rb's, I don't feel strongly either way.

Thanks for weighing in, DS - I value your opinion. I am inclined to go with the single cuts due to 1) Victor's preference in this case, 2) the opinions of PSers thusfar, and 3) to have something a little 'different'. I just want to make sure that I get this setting right!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results