shape
carat
color
clarity

French cut eternity - vendor, bang for buck?

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all,

This is about my 5th thread in the last 5 years about French cuts - it's been a flickering flame since about 2009, haha.

It's our 5th anniversary next year and I am considering finally actually having the eternity band made. I had always wanted a FC eternity (I wear two Leon Mege antique calibre bands as split wedding rings flanking my EC solitaire) and almost pulled the trigger a couple of times.

I know that FCs have gained in popularity here since then and so there is probably now a wealth of consumer expertise on where/how/how much etc.

My budget will be somewhere in the $6-7K range, and the ring will be a size 4.75. I don't mind whether the setting is WG or platinum.

What will this get me in the current market, and which vendors should I look into? Previously I had made enquiries with Israel Rose, LM, and Single Stone, but I'm aware the landscape may have changed.

phale

Shiny_Rock
So you want a vendor to make a new eternity band from antique french cut stones? I'm not familiar with LM, SS, IR pricing but with your healthy budget, I think you could get a vintage 3ct french cut eternity band. There was a fc eternity band size 5.75 for sale on LT around your budget.

Bang for buck? I'd probably add JBG, LAD, and CvB to the list of vendors too.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Try ERD. They are making one for a friend of mine. At least get a quote from them. ;))

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could you post a pic of your calibre bands with your EC?

I have been looking into calibre bands but cannot find many pics.

Good luck with your search! I would indeed also try ERD.

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
acinom, they are shown in my avatar - do you need more detail than that?

Thanks for the tips guys. I wasn't aware that ERD could source french cuts but I suppose anyone can! They would definitely be my first choice for the alternative (which would be a ~3.75ct RB shared prong eternity) so I will send them a scoping email. They made my engagement ring and were great to work with.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pancake|1408084644|3732843 said:
acinom, they are shown in my avatar - do you need more detail than that?

Thanks for the tips guys. I wasn't aware that ERD could source french cuts but I suppose anyone can! They would definitely be my first choice for the alternative (which would be a ~3.75ct RB shared prong eternity) so I will send them a scoping email. They made my engagement ring and were great to work with.

If you could post a photo that would really be helpful!

I expect that ERD can do something for you. Not so long ago they made this ring with french cut sides for one of their customers:

_21372.jpg

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Victor makes beautiful bands with engraving and French Cuts.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Two of Victor's bands: the upper 2 are pics of the 3mm-ish band. The last one is is of his 2.3 mm band:

_21374.jpg

_21375.jpg

_21376.jpg

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
Pancake:

In terms of a new piece, I have to mention Lang Antiques. They do a really nice antique reproduction French cut band and within your budget parameters or just slightly over.

Best of luck in your search! French cuts are truly special. I hope you find what you're looking for!

ringcat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi pancake, I am getting CvB to make me one. Caysie is a pleasure to deal with. Perhaps get a quote from her too?

Acinom, I have an LM calibre band that I would like to sell. Would you be happy to get a pre-loved one?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are different types of French cuts so you really need to explore that before choosing a vendor. I know Victor Canera has posted the different types somewhere, and perhaps there is a thread on that here.

I would not go for "bang for buck" on a French cut band. I would go with whoever uses the finest cut stones of the type you want in the finest made setting. I'd wait and see the outcome of the rings currently being made before going with someone who does not regularly make these such as Victor. The ones from Lang look nice, too, but I have only seen them by Victor in person and they are beautifully made.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1408119230|3733028 said:
There are different types of French cuts so you really need to explore that before choosing a vendor. I know Victor Canera has posted the different types somewhere, and perhaps there is a thread on that here.

I would not go for "bang for buck" on a French cut band. I would go with whoever uses the finest cut stones of the type you want in the finest made setting. I'd wait and see the outcome of the rings currently being made before going with someone who does not regularly make these such as Victor. The ones from Lang look nice, too, but I have only seen them by Victor in person and they are beautifully made.

I have a ring with french cut sides from Victor. On page 3 in my thread there is an explanation on the various french cuts that Victor can source: regular, high crown and antique high dome: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/its-here-liquid-diamond-reset-by-victor-canera-for-5-3-oec.193349/page-3']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/its-here-liquid-diamond-reset-by-victor-canera-for-5-3-oec.193349/page-3[/URL]
The french cut stones can be cut from existing stones or from rough.

I usually prefer the latter when I see pics. For my ring regular stones were used and I love them!!! Even better than the high dome stones in my Paraiba ring from Leon.

_21382.jpg

_21383.jpg

_21384.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ringcat|1408109453|3732924 said:
Hi pancake, I am getting CvB to make me one. Caysie is a pleasure to deal with. Perhaps get a quote from her too?

Acinom, I have an LM calibre band that I would like to sell. Would you be happy to get a pre-loved one?

Thanks Ringcat! I am not ready to buy yet though: the beautiful calibre band seems to catch dirt easily? And I am hard on my hands so I am not sure whether a full eternity fits my lifestyle. Why are you selling yours?
And... what is your ring size, just in case :naughty:

ringcat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Acinom|1408124868|3733093 said:
ringcat|1408109453|3732924 said:

Thanks Ringcat! I am not ready to buy yet though: the beautiful calibre band seems to catch dirt easily? And I am hard on my hands so I am not sure whether a full eternity fits my lifestyle. Why are you selling yours?
And... what is your ring size, just in case :naughty:

Acinom, no worries. I am selling because the band is too big for me. It is a size 6. I bought it pre-loved from a PS'er. It is in great condition but I didn't expect it to be so loose on my finger. I am a size 5 to 5.25. I got it a few months ago and haven't worn it even a day. So, I would like to sell it to fund another project. :)

springerspaniel

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Ringcat--
What are the specs on your LM calibre band? I'm a size 6 and am interested. You can send me a message through LT--I'm springerspaniel.

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1408119230|3733028 said:

I second Diamondseeker's advice. I went for bang for buck. You are welcome to look back at my posts. Pick a vendor that specializes in old cuts and has a history for quality. In fairness, you are probably going to a vendor that can have them sourced and already calibrated (I am assuming?). Also, you will find vendors that have very different opinions on how to set them (channel, prong, bezel...)

I can't wait to see what you come up with! Fc's are beautiful and so worth it. :wink2:

ringcat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
springerspaniel|1408211653|3733760 said:
Hi Ringcat--
What are the specs on your LM calibre band? I'm a size 6 and am interested. You can send me a message through LT--I'm springerspaniel.

Hi springerspaniel, I could not find the LT listing. Can you post a link here to your listing please?

OP, apologies, did not mean to thread jack with my band. I think the advice of everyone who has posted here is very sound. I think taking the time to talk to a few vendors is a very good idea to get their ideas on what they think about FCs and also what type of FCs they can source. And then make a decision based on your taste and budget :)

Cant wait to see what you decide! :appl:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got a quote ages ago from Victor for a French Cut ring and one from GOG and from ERD and Victor was not significantly more expensive. The types of FCs he uses, the calibre of the engraving and the overall finish of the ring IMHO more than justifies the couple of hundred bucks difference. I think what a few of us are saying is that marginally cheaper is not always the better option.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results