shape
carat
color
clarity

For your review

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chris-uk04

Shiny_Rock
Okay so I started out researching diamonds by making my way via google search to Fred Cuellar''s website, then I made my way here to discuss him. I didn''t know what to thing, and found out he wasn''t popular here. So I got his book in the mail for free, read it, and now, have just wrote a review on Amazon. I invite you to read it (it''s the newest one, titled Bling-Bling?).

Fred Cuellar book review

In the meantime, I''ll feed my pricescope addiction. (I can admit I have one). Mara certainly does.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Very well put, Chris!!
9.gif

ClownFishFunk

Shiny_Rock

----------------
On 4/3/2004 7:00:16 PM leonid wrote:

Chris-uk04, Amazon removed your review. What a shame
nono.gif

----------------

You should write another!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you saved it please post it here :}

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, please post at least the basic details of what you posted EVEN IF you didn't save the entire review!

I'm really disappointed that Amazon censored a review there
angryfire.gif

Michelle

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
I emailed to Chris...

I wonder whether it was the Amazon policy to remove serious negative comments or it can be done by request of the book author.
sick.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
I know when reading reviews on "some" websites, you have to read between the lines a lot of times. The fact that Amazon removed Chris' review throws a cloud of doubt over the credibility of any of their customer reviews.
14.gif

chris-uk04

Shiny_Rock
I looked through, but I didn’t save the review. I’m disappointed that it got removed. I noticed it a week ago or so as I wanted to see how it had gotten rated. I thought it was a fair review and I wonder if somehow the author can remove comments? I notice some of the political books have very negative comments (depending which side of the spectrum) but they don’t get removed. I didn’t think it was fair.

I gave the book a mixed review. I did learn enough from the book. It was the first thing I read on diamonds and it did educate me a lot. It stressed the cut as being important, how carat weight is hidden in poor cuts, it talked about different parts of the diamond and the other C’s, certification labs, fluoresce, price jumps at 1 carat, branded diamonds, price jumps and gave some good basic tips for diamond hunting. A lot of the advice is spot on. He’ll talk about a lot of the treatments, but it was done in a way that definitely scares you.

However, then I mentioned to keep an open mind because he sells diamonds too. Don’t get so scared that every jeweller is out to scam you that you end up calling his “hotline” and he refers you to a jeweller friend of his. His “tests” for jewellers and/or a diamond are a bit dodgy. In a way they are okay questions, but they are impossible to pass. Hence, the jeweller or the diamond fails the test and you call the hotline and he refers you to a jeweller friend of his. There are two things that will disqualify any jeweller. One is his infamous warped theory, (which Jonathan at GOG gave an excellent refutation of.) The other is his bonded diamond, which means you can get a refund on the stone for the entire life of the stone, which is just utter nonsense. Lifetime trade-ins and perhaps 75% buybacks after the refund policy expires is quite fair, but I don’t know of any product that comes with a lifetime buyback.

My other problem with his book were his “secret wholesale prices”. I thought those a fair retail price at best and he was calling them wholesale. I could look at it tonight, but something like a 1.0 carat, I SI1 was about $7500. I thought this was to provide backup so when you call his hotline and he refers you to his jeweller friend, the price will look as though you were getting a bargain. Oh and if the price of your stone is less than his chart, there is obviously something wrong with the diamond.

Hence I summarized saying it was a good book to look at if you know nothing, but to keep an open mind are being steered to call him so he can sell you a diamond.
I should rewrite it. Also I accused him of being a bit of a scam, I don’t think it was unwarranted. It doesn’t say a lot for Amazon when negative, but fair criticism is removed. How am I supposed to believe that other reviews on other books are edited. I didn’t curse, or name call and I did mention a lot of good points. All I basically said was to watch that he’s trying to sell you a diamond and how he is trying to do it. Unfair! Actually I should write Amazon.

Reading the other reviews, just one other review has said he was trying to sell his diamonds (but still gave him a thumbs up), but a lot of other people did get sucked into to calling Fred. They think the hotline is just Fred being nice, but it’s a sales tactic. After I give my girlfriend her ring, I might still even consider giving her the book to read. She has various typical misconceptions about diamonds which are annoying (like she doesn’t realize how much stuff costs). If I cut out a few pages, it would be a great book.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Chris, your review was very balanced and fair.

As for other Amazon reviews, take them with a grain of salt. There was an article a while ago in MSNBC: Glitch unmasks Amazon reviewers. Many reviews are written by the authors:

"...were authors who posted glowing reviews of their own work, apparently to boost sales."

I'm sure there are many genuine reviews but this situation with your, Chris, review leaves a sad after taste.

I checked Fred' book again yesterday after a long time and some opuses sounds just shocking. It starts from declaring himself the top diamond expert in the world, attributing Rapaport prices to GIA cut grade III and recommendations to call his helpline.
nono.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 4/5/2004 5:16:50 AM chris-uk04 wrote:

. Also I accused him of being a bit of a scam, I don’t think it was unwarranted
----------------

This is probably why it warranted getting the boot. The comment wasn't about the book - but about the author & his business.

A warrented comment indeed; but, directed at personal reveiew rather than a book review. My guess is these authors have strong play with amazon. And, any inpropriety can erase a negative review.

Shame. Someone should follow their rules exactly & post a review only about the book, which in itself is incriminating enough.

chris-uk04

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 4/5/2004 9:23:08 AM fire&ice wrote:

----------------
On 4/5/2004 5:16:50 AM chris-uk04 wrote:

. Also I accused him of being a bit of a scam, I don’t think it was unwarranted
----------------

This is probably why it warranted getting the boot. The comment wasn't about the book - but about the author & his business.

A warrented comment indeed; but, directed at personal reveiew rather than a book review. My guess is these authors have strong play with amazon. And, any inpropriety can erase a negative review.

Shame. Someone should follow their rules exactly & post a review only about the book, which in itself is incriminating enough.
----------------

I didn't call him a sham. (I'm not dumb) I indirectly called him a sham by saying how his book says things to scare to you into calling him so he can sell you a diamond.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results