shape
carat
color
clarity

For small 1ct center stone will you pick RB or AVR

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
I currently have a RB but I love the look of AVR thanks to my PSers :bigsmile: However most of the pic. I seen are pretty big ones which I wouldn't be able to afford atm. I wonder if it's worth to sell my current RB for a 1 ct AVR or not...since I know I love the look of larger AVR just haven't seen many around the size I'm looking for.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will have to say that at the 1 ct. mark and higher, I would choose the AVR. I tried a pair of .60's one time for earrings, but I decided that a) I couldn't see them myself at all when they were on, and b) others really couldn't appreciate the facet difference from the distance they would be viewing them on my ears. But for a ring, I feel differently since I can see it all the time. I'd probably even do a 5 stone with AVR's if I could. I love my round brilliants but there is something really special about the AVR!

I think most of the AVR's posted on here are smaller. That is pretty much why I ordered the larger one to look at because I needed to settle in my mind whether I wanted to make the switch or not. I absolutely would always choose the AVR if the ring is an antique style setting. But I think an AVR would be beautiful in a solitaire as well. I am debating that now!

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1ct isn't small in most real world situations. :cheeky:

I have a 0.74ct rb and honestly I'm getting bored with it. I've been looking at1ct AVR's as well, and I think they'd make a great project (as long as it was a ring for me - I want to be able to see it!).

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ecf, yes, I would also do a .75 as AVR in a ring as well. And certainly, a 1 ct. stone is not small!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree - 1 ct may be smaller in PS land, but IRL, it is a pretty decent size stone!

If you have the means and can afford to switch/upgrade to the AVR, I'd say go for it. Not to be frivilous but it is your ring and you can see it all the time - and you want to love it more than anything. If that is what would make you the happiest, then its worth it to change to the AVR. They ARE beautiful!

(...or an OEC/OMC???)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
AVR in anything over 75 points for sure.

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys for your advice. After e-mailing to Sarah I guess right now if I sell my 1.02ct D SI1 RB and get a 1ct F SI1 AVR it will cost me about $1,500 difference that I have to pay if I were selling my diamond quick to a store since I'm not sure if I can risk to have two diamonds together. Do you guys think it will be worth it to spend $1,500 more and go 2 grades down in color and I think the AVR is not as eye clean as my current RB as well.
Thank you

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
hmmmmm.... that's a tough call. Is the colour an issue for you? You won't be wearing them side by side, so the colour difference is not something that will be noticed once set, but how would that work with your WB (or any stackers?)

As for the clarity, its a lateral move, but you'd need assurance it is eye clean to what YOU want it to be. Size wise you aren't gaining or losing too much - again, lateral move really. Visually, will one appear larger than the other?

Overall, $1500 isn't a lot (well, it is but you KWIM...) so if this is going to be the new "THE ONE", it could be money well spent. What's your gut telling you??

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oy I don't know. I'm a bit of a cheapskate. F is still plenty white. But I'm not sure I'd want to pay MORE for less.

Why do you want the AVR? How financially 'comfortable' are you with the 1,500s?

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
Enerchi|1346281861|3259475 said:
hmmmmm.... that's a tough call. Is the colour an issue for you? You won't be wearing them side by side, so the colour difference is not something that will be noticed once set, but how would that work with your WB (or any stackers?)

As for the clarity, its a lateral move, but you'd need assurance it is eye clean to what YOU want it to be. Size wise you aren't gaining or losing too much - again, lateral move really. Visually, will one appear larger than the other?

Overall, $1500 isn't a lot (well, it is but you KWIM...) so if this is going to be the new "THE ONE", it could be money well spent. What's your gut telling you??

I didn't on planning on wear any WB or stacker with my current ring so I guess that wouldn't be an issue. Right now I love the AVR based on pic. and video but I never got to see it in person. The color isn't an issue since I was thinking of maybe even go down to H to get a bigger one and I wasn't sure if I should try to save more and just do a larger lower color little better in clarity in the future or try to take advantage of the current August event.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, the pricing is great during the August event for sure. Do you think you could discuss with GOG and see if you could select a slightly larger one now, and put it on layaway (I have NO IDEA if they do that kind of thing tho...) then you may be able to get the larger stone at the lesser price??? think they may be able to work with you on that? Worth asking!

As for the $$$ aspect - buying a larger one, once, could be more cost effective than buying a slightly under sized one now and upgrading later. Just food for thought... Good luck! I'm enjoying your thought process!

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
Enerchi|1346283204|3259484 said:
Yes, the pricing is great during the August event for sure. Do you think you could discuss with GOG and see if you could select a slightly larger one now, and put it on layaway (I have NO IDEA if they do that kind of thing tho...) then you may be able to get the larger stone at the lesser price??? think they may be able to work with you on that? Worth asking!

As for the $$$ aspect - buying a larger one, once, could be more cost effective than buying a slightly under sized one now and upgrading later. Just food for thought... Good luck! I'm enjoying your thought process!

Thank you Enerchi, I did ask if there is any lower color and larger stone that can be discounted and I don't think there is any. Also Sarah I need to wire the money by the weekend in order to receive the discount so I don't think layaway is something they are willing to do for the discount item. But I did shot her an e-mail to confirm and see since I don't really want to rush myself into this. =)

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
I think I'm going to wait. Although the price is really good right now but I know I probably will want a bigger size like 1.25 for AVR in the future so doesn't make sense to get this one and have to pay more for upgrade in the future. But thanks for everyone who chiped in on their thoughts. :bigsmile:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you are making a wise decision, Minmin! Bummer you can't get your ideal stone right now... but it could prove to be better to wait...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you made the right choice too. When it's time to upgrade, then you can switch to an AVR as well.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good decision!

How about sending your diamond over to consign with GOG and in the meantime save money. Then, put all the proceeds to an AVR? If you do that I believe GOG takes a smaller % commission.

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1346351134|3259897 said:
Good decision!

How about sending your diamond over to consign with GOG and in the meantime save money. Then, put all the proceeds to an AVR? If you do that I believe GOG takes a smaller % commission.

Yes, that will be the idea. Although I was hoping that my mom will give me her diamond soon so that will be the one I will consign and still have a ring to wear and I know he only takes $500 off if I use the money to buy an AVR~ :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results