shape
carat
color
clarity

Fluorescent and Phosphorescent Diamond

CharmedOne

Brilliant_Rock
After checking my diamonds for Fluor, I noticed one glowing after I removed the uv light. I had my son help me take photos, as I am horrible at it. The phosphorescent glow is the same color as the glow in the dark toys kinda green yellow color. Three hours later it was still glowing. I don't know when it stopped because I fell asleep. But I did go into to a lit room and then back into a dark room and it still was glowing.

The second photo is with me taking away the uv light and the third is an hour later. It's hard to see. I need a better camera but hopefully you can see it in the photos.

imageuploadedbytapatalk_hd1356309286.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk_hd1356309317.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk_hd1356309346.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Fluorescent and Phosphorescent Diamond

I think that is so cool!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

What?! neat!!

ETA: I didnt even know that was a thing! as soon as i saw this thread i went and tried it on my pear. Totally does it too, but it wasnt bright enough for my phone to take a picture... too cool!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

That's pretty cool, charmed one! Love the lingering effect...and that your camera picked it up hours later!

CharmedOne

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks, I never knew there was such a thing. I had to google it :)

Neilseel, Awesome! I love your pear.

Enerchi, I had the hardest time photographing it. The room had to be completely dark. But, it was because of you I found the pen. Thanks for that info.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

CharmedOne|1356320460|3338887 said:
Thanks, I never knew there was such a thing. I had to google it :)

Neilseel, Awesome! I love your pear.

Enerchi, I had the hardest time photographing it. The room had to be completely dark. But, it was because of you I found the pen. Thanks for that info.

I didnt know that either. Thanks for the thread. I find chemical components of diamonds like that so neat...So cool what nature can do. thats nerdy isnt it :geek: haha

CharmedOne

Brilliant_Rock

Neilseel, LOL :) Maybe a bit, but my son is way in to it. He was researching it like crazy and he is a bit of a science geek. Now he wants me to find another one for him. I told him I'd look for one for his birthday. This search should be interesting, to say the least.

All three of my larger diamonds have Fluor and so does this large pink stone I have. It's a ring that belonged to my FIL's mom who passed away about ten years ago. Nobody wanted any of her stuff, so I ended up with all her jewelry. I found it in a really nice ring box from a jeweler that went out of business a long time ago. I should do a post in the vintage/ antique forum to see if anybody could help me identify some of the pieces. Here is some photos of the pink stone.

imageuploadedbytapatalk_hd1356329387.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk_hd1356329412.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk_hd1356329445.jpg

are there color differences in the fluorescent and phosphorescent state of the diamonds?

CharmedOne

Brilliant_Rock

Yes, depending on the diamond. The blue hope diamond phosphorescences red but it does not fluoresce. I have seen a few white diamonds on here that have yellow fluorescence but I'm not sure if they phosphoresce.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

Oh I wonder if mine does this...Ill have to check it out.

toBnruG

Rough_Rock

Just because it's relevant to this thread about phosphorescence, I'm posting this link to a thread where I just posted pictures of my wife's engagement ring fluorescing and phosphorescing. Enjoy :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results