shape
carat
color
clarity

fluorescence

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

berkefamily2

Rough_Rock
I had a GIA grad tell me something today that I would like comments on. He said that I could save some money on a J color diamond, especially if it had mild to medium fluorescence as it would face up clean. He said you could often see the slight color on the back side, but that if that did not bother me, I should go that way. This assumes a good or better cut of course. He was not selling anything and I ran into him by chance, not in a jewlery store. Can anyone comment on this?
35.gif

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
In general, I would tend to agree with him, assuming the flourescence is blue. When stones are in the near-colorless range, a little blue flourescence seems to make them face up a little whiter.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Robert and welcome
35.gif
Yes this is true, a J should face up white anyway but fluorescense will help, in lower colours still, apparently medium blue is best. You may hear conflicting opinions on this phenomenon but we PSers think fluoresence is a wonderful thing. Are we talking about a round here?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love strong blue in a stone as long as it doesnt make it milky which is rare that it would.

It adds to the personality of the diamond.
It isnt a big issue but its a nice bonus to me if it has it.

Roughdealer

Rough_Rock
If yore buying the diamond for wear in a setting , It is TRUE , you can save good bucks buying a J stone w / BLUE fluoresence. This stones have the same beauty that any others , and only an "expert eye" will CHECK it focus on it a UV light source, scenario very dificult to find in the day day life...
emotion-40.gif

But for INVESTING .... this is another history.... maybe , only maybe you will find this kind of stone must be quite harder to resell , but sir , every diamond have this right price... i never heared about any diamond that was unable to sell... but i suggest you buy with a discount. because you will be to sell a discount too.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
If you go play cosmic mini golf you will notice the flouresence. You may also notice it in certain dance clubs where there are black lights. Or Spencer''s Gifts. Or when under the UV lights when having nails done.

I happen to like blue flouresence. It adds personality and makes your diamond more identifyable. It will make the stone face up a little whiter. If you google diamond+blue+flouresence you will find all kinds of information. There was even an article somewhere that said most people, when shown a diamond with flouresence and one without, usually selected the one with flouresence. I don''t think they were even told about flouresence, just told to pick which one they liked better. But it''s been awhile, don''t quote me.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lumpkin I must pay more attention when I next go cosmic bowling
face20.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results