shape
carat
color
clarity

Flawed Setting Design?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

NewbieOne

Rough_Rock

I am concerned about the way the diamonds impact each other in a set of rings I just purchased.

When worn normally, the girdles of the diamonds from each ring impact the girdles of the diamonds on the other ring with no protection.

The diamonds that impact each other are 10 pt. round brilliant ideals.

Is it likely that the diamonds will chip each other over a lifetime of normal wear?

See the attached photos for impact sites and depths.

Overlap.JPG

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
really need views from the sides...

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a lovely set!

There have been many past posts about this topic. I believe the consensus is that with rings designed as yours are, the constant contact of the girdles hubbing/hitting each other as your rings shift on your finger, can lead to chips and other fractures and therefore this design is not reccommended. I believe there are several solutions to the problem.

1. Have the rings soldered together to avoid the frequent shifting on your finger

2. Wear a small plain band in between both to separate the stones.

If your ring is insured, the chipped stones will be covered, however from some of the previous posts, this can happen over a period of time or quickly, and often more than once. So constantly battling with the insurance company over replacing the stones might get old. Memoire designs sets like yours in a way that avoids this problem.

Good luck and kudos to you for being proactive!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
impending disaster
29.gif

Common sense is uncommon, but you have more
36.gif
than the trinket floggers who let you do this
20.gif

NewbieOne

Rough_Rock
You will appreciate this…

This is not the design that I requested. The requested design had wider, squared bands that would have prevented the diamonds from touching each other. The jeweler built this one and then presented it as superior. I asked him about the diamonds hitting each other and he said it was not a problem. Therefore, it is has been my wife’s wedding ring for three weeks and now has massive sentimental value attached.

I feel deceived. The jeweler who made this for me is a diamond cutter.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
well, if at this point you need to keep them the way they are for sentimental value then you need to take some proactive steps to help try to keep the diamonds safe. hudson hawk mentioned them and they are important:

1. solder the rings together so that they do not move against eachother.
2. add a spacer in betwee the rings (and cosider soldering all three together)
3. get good insurance!

best of luck!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/2/2007 10:13:32 AM
Author: belle
well, if at this point you need to keep them the way they are for sentimental value then you need to take some proactive steps to help try to keep the diamonds safe. hudson hawk mentioned them and they are important:

3. get good insurance!

best of luck!
ditto - and if you solder all 3 together, the spacer can be very, very thin.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/2/2007 10:28:01 AM
Author: Cehrabehra

3. get good insurance!

best of luck!
ditto - and if you solder all 3 together, the spacer can be very, very thin.
practically invisibly thin. if it were me, i would go this route.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock

3. get good insurance!

best of luck!

ditto. when I inquired about a similar designed set a couple of years ago I was told that although beautiful the stones wille eat away at each other over time and it would eventually have to be replaced years down the road. not a good choice for someone who wants a family heirloom to pass down or even wear a lifetime. soldering them together would take care of the problem though or as belle said, adding a spacer. I''m so sorry

NewbieOne

Rough_Rock
I have contracted with another jeweler to hide a spacer under the main diamond and solder the bottom of the two bands together.

Sad: The original jeweler that created this flawed design posted it on page one of his website gallery. It would be a shame if someone else said “I want that one.” I don’t know of anyone that would want a self-destructing set of rings.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results