shape
carat
color
clarity

Five stone ring, stone size recommendations for 4.25 finger

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,

This is my first post :) however I know the site well. I am looking at starting to collect diamonds towards a five stone ring. My ring finger size is 4.25 my engagement ring is a lovely 1.2 carat RB solitaire with a 6 prong setting with a platinum band just under 2mm. My wedding band is also just under 2mm.

I am looking at a five stone ring to go on my right hand with a finger size of 4.25. I have been thinking 1.5 carat total, 0.3 each in a trellis or similar setting. My question is, will that be too much diamond coverage for my finger and even though it will sit on the right hand away from my engagement ring would it take away from my engagement ring, Also, it has been hard to find rings in that size to try on, I did try Tiffany, and found that a 0.13 7 stone ring looked pretty good. However, my heart has been set on the 0.3 carat, and the only five stone I could try on was not my size and quite a heavey setting, so it did look quite overpowering.

It's hard to find rings to try on in the 0.2+ range ie total 1 carat to see how that would look.

I know this is a lot of info, but I would appreciate some advice. do people here think a total carat 1.5 on a size 4.25 ring would look okay and not be too distracting, if worn on the right hand, from my 1.2 solitaire round brilliant engagement ring? Would a total 1 carat with 0.2 stones or a total 1.25 carat 0.25 stones be better? Does it matter complimenting rings when they are worn on different hands?

Hope to hear some thoughts.
:)

Shiny_Rock
Re: Five stone ring, stone size recommendations for 4.25 fin

Thank you :) would you believe I've already read that thread :) I know they are gorgeous which is why I'm thinking about it, I suppose the question is also regarding wearing the ring on the right hand being a separate stand alone piece? I adore my engagement ring, beautiful diamond and don't want to steal too much of its thunder. When we bought the wedding band Jewellers advised back then not to get diamonds in the wedding band as it would distract from the solitaire.

Now for the right hand ring Jewellers have told me they stand as too separate pieces, is this what people find?

It is pics like that in the thread that made me want one of that size, 1.5 carat total, and the style I once saw someone wearing when this amazing piece of bling just caught my eye....

Hi back!

purplesilk

Brilliant_Rock

2023 said:
I suppose the question is also regarding wearing the ring on the right hand being a separate stand alone piece? I adore my engagement ring, beautiful diamond and don't want to steal too much of its thunder. When we bought the wedding band Jewellers advised back then not to get diamonds in the wedding band as it would distract from the solitaire.

Now for the right hand ring Jewellers have told me they stand as too separate pieces, is this what people find?

IMO a five stone band with 30 pointers would overpower a 1.2 ct solitaire, so I'd suggest to wear it as a stand alone RHR.
A seven stones band with 5 or 10 pointers would look better with your solitaire, but it's a matter of taste...what really counts is your opinion!

Shiny_Rock

Yep, I'd definitely wear it on the right hand, on the opposite hand to my engagement ring. My wedding band is a simple platinum band. So you think on the right hand stand alone, as a total 1.5 carat ring it would be okay and not overpower the engagement ring (even though I know it's on a different hand)?

Christina...

Ideal_Rock

I don't think that it would over power your ering if you wore it on your right hand. I think it would be gorgeous, and if there was a time that you didn't want to wear your ER, than the five stone would make a perfect stand in. =)

Why is it that PSers all have teeny fingers? Am I the only thick fingered chic around here? I'm going to start calling myself a 5! :bigsmile:

elliemay

Shiny_Rock

Christina...|1338889786|3209499 said:
I don't think that it would over power your ering if you wore it on your right hand. I think it would be gorgeous, and if there was a time that you didn't want to wear your ER, than the five stone would make a perfect stand in. =)

Why is it that PSers all have teeny fingers? Am I the only thick fingered chic around here? I'm going to start calling myself a 5! :bigsmile:

I'm a 9, but I'm going to start saying I'm a 4.5 because you can only see the top half of my finger when I'm showing off my rings. :lol:

2023, I think five 30 pointers would be great -- it just depends on how much bling you're wanting!

Shiny_Rock

Ohhh thank you so much for your replies. It's so good to hear people's opinions who know a lot about diamonds. You made me laugh about the finger size comments lol. I do want the ring to still look elegant, but have presence and if my finger size can pull off the 1.5 carat total :) that's something I am thinking about too. And thats great for saying it wouldnt distract from my e ring on the other hand, that makes me really happy :)

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock

I am a size 6 and wear a 1.2 carat on my left hand and a five stone on my right hand with 30 pointers. I really like the size of the stones in my five stone. I think that they work well across the top of my finger. I think if you wanted, with a smaller ring size, you could go down to 25 points each but either size would probably look great. I like balance and I think they work well together. If you click on me, there are some threads with photos. I'm dreadful at attaching links.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

As another one of the "thicker finger club" along with Christina and Elliemay (I'm a 7.75/8 depending...) I'd say go for it 2023!! Rock the big stuff!!! You've got LOVELY teeny tiny fingers and to have a 5 stone in the 1.5 range--- LOVE IT!!!

It would take me and my homies a 2.5cttw ring to get the same effect... we're just jealous of you!!! :twisted:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The only problem I see is that .30's are maybe going to be a little wide on a size 4.5 finger. I have a 5 stone ring that is slightly graduated from 20-25 points and it covers the top of my size 5.5 finger. I think I could wear .30's fine, but .25's might fit your finger better.

The best solution is to find some to try on if you can.

(Oh, and I wanted to comment on something else your jeweler said. I agree that a diamond wedding band with large stones takes away from the diamond e-ring, but many of us here have thin diamond wedding bands that add sparkle but do not in any way take away from the engagement ring!)

MyDiamondSparkles

Brilliant_Rock

I'm not sure if this helps or not: I have a size 7 finger, a 1.5 carat engagement ring and a right hand ring 4 stone ring with 4-40 pointers, so a total of 1.80. It doesn't take away from the 1.5 at all. I thought it looked too blingy at first (it really didn't it just had amazing sparkle), but now I'd go even larger and do a five stone. :)

And like someone mentioned, sometimes I don't feel like wearing my ER and I wear the 4 stone instead. I love having that option.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock

I think 25s will work best. PS member E.B has a trellis with 25s and I think it is perfect on a smaller hand.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock

Enerchi|1338919113|3209743 said:
As another one of the "thicker finger club" along with Christina and Elliemay (I'm a 7.75/8 depending...) I'd say go for it 2023!! Rock the big stuff!!! You've got LOVELY teeny tiny fingers and to have a 5 stone in the 1.5 range--- LOVE IT!!!

It would take me and my homies a 2.5cttw ring to get the same effect... we're just jealous of you!!! :twisted:

:lol: I'm a 7.75-8, though these days I'm just calling myself an 8 because it's what feels more comfortable. If we were talking jeans though, I would never ever ever round up!!! ;))

2023 I looked through some threads, and I think that dreamer and DS are right, too large and the stones are going to rub between your fingers and be super uncomfortable, and a gorgeous ring like this, you don't want sitting in your jewelry box unworn because of comfort!

Shiny_Rock

Hi everyone, thank you for your advice! I loved hearing about different peoples ring sizes versus their finger sizes and e rings and thanks for sharing your gorgeous ring siamese. It has been very hard to find a five stone ring in 0.3 and 0.25 in my size to compare in a shop. I had a jeweller with 0.3 stones sticking the diamonds onto a band so I could to try and 'see', and tiffany where the ring was too big and they had nothing in the 0.25 range, so its been hard visualising.

I agree that 0.25 might be the right size, though I do love the 0.3 and did want to see if people thought 0.3 was possible so am glad to see some supported that :) and am def interested in peoples opinions.

Also finally, I had thought this would be a process where we would accumulate the stones, one by one. on blue nile there are many options in 0.3, but going to 0.25 the options drop. So do people with RH rings, do your stones match your e ring or is it possible to go up in colour?

Thanks again so much everyone! Looks like I can't go too wrong with 0.25 or 0.3 pointers :)

I love the candid honesty.

If I can get the same effect and look better proportionately on my finger with 0.25 I should do that! and yes comfort!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You can do any color you want for a right hand ring, but you may want to stick close to the color of your e-ring if that happens to be your personal preference. My favorite color for value and whiteness is G, but I will go to H on some things. So while my e-ring is G, I could consider using H for a RHR. (Or even lower for antique stones).

I don't think I'd buy the diamonds individually especially if you decided to go with .25's. I'd probably get .25's from someone like WF and ask for them not to be individually graded (because of the added cost) but top cut quality like their ACA's. Because you want the stones to be close matches, I'd wait and get them all at the same time, personally.

Shiny_Rock

Thanks DS, so if I were to get 5 ex cut ex polish no fluor in G colour in 0.25 carat WF can do that and the stones do not need to be certified?

I just rang WF for a quote on 0.25 non certified and 0.3 certified. They said all their stones are F/G colour, H and A, VS clarity so non certified for the 0.25 could be great! Still have the option of 0.3 but they are getting back to me ! Yay!

Thanks for the information everyone I have lots to think about.

Also if anyone out there does know more about comfort 4.25 finger with a five stone ring 0.3 carat stones would love to hear about thay too :)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

IMO...based on your size 4.25 i'd go with .20ct X 5 stone ring. my wife's 5 stone 1.27ctw (4.75 ring) covers the top of her finger.

Shiny_Rock

Thanks for everyones responses. I could consider 0.2 but I did get a quote on five A cut Above diamonds 0
25 F/G HnA VS (uncertified) at 2250. The lady said between 0.3 and 0.25 there was neglible difference. I told her my ring size and she thought 0.25 would be okay. I also said I liked the trellis setting where I had seen on another post, and did ask about the stones touchibg either finger. As my original thought was 0.3 I thought 0
25 was a good compromise. 0.2 could be great too...

What does everyone think of the quote for just the diamonds?

Shiny_Rock

I found a link on PS to a size 4.5 with 1.5 total!!! Thanks again for everyones input, I am thinking to get the 0.3 now. I also found a 1
25 to try on was too big the size of the ring but the diamond coverage seemed fine, so after seeing that and the other PS link I am pretty comfortable now about the 1.5. :D

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

I wear a 5 stone band on my middle finger (size 4)., They are about 0.25 ct each .. I think it is perfect!

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock

Please post pics once you receive your ring! I wear a size 4.25 and eventually would love to own a 5-stone ring (I'll probably beg for one for our 5-year anniversary in 4 years :bigsmile:). I was thinking that 1.0 ctw would give good finger coverage on my size finger but this thread is making me wonder if I would need to go larger...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

here is my wife's 1.27 ctw on her 4.75 size finger.

1.15ct.JPG

Shiny_Rock

Thanks DF for posting your wife's ring, she is a very lucky. The ring is beautiful. I think anything from 0.2-0.3 would look wonderful. However as mentioned earlier this may be a process where a stone is collected one at a time (or bought all at once), and the setting would come later. SG I am a newlywed :) so for me my husband knows how excited I get about jewelry and diamonds and he knows I love the five stone ring. I will maybe get a diamond for my birthday, special occasion etc, and then make the ring on an anniversary... So I'm not exactly placing an order tomorrow! But I wanted to know a good diamond size to start collecting. There is the matching of stones, buying all at once as well to consider as well....but I imagine it will be a while before the ring would be made and finished.

I really love the idea of five stones at the five year anniversary, but I don't think I can wait that long :)

mtabh

Rough_Rock
2023 said:
Thanks for everyones responses. I could consider 0.2 but I did get a quote on five A cut Above diamonds 0
25 F/G HnA VS (uncertified) at 2250. The lady said between 0.3 and 0.25 there was neglible difference. I told her my ring size and she thought 0.25 would be okay. I also said I liked the trellis setting where I had seen on another post, and did ask about the stones touchibg either finger. As my original thought was 0.3 I thought 0
25 was a good compromise. 0.2 could be great too...

What does everyone think of the quote for just the diamonds?

$2250 was the quote for the five stones? That sounds reasonable to me....

Shiny_Rock

Hi you found my post! I replied to your other five stone question! I think I have decided to go with 0.3 pointers now...and have been looking at different prices between sites. I worry I'd always want the 0.3 as I said in your post. I also spoke to local jewellers too and have been given quotes that are a bit more expensive but not too much more, and am considering that road too, so I can ensure its comfortable.

Would love to be getting one now, but am just recently married, so after just paying for the wedding and the honeymoon I think I have to wait a little bit longer!!!

So lucky you getting one right now!!!

mtabh

Rough_Rock
2023 said:
Hi you found my post! I replied to your other five stone question! I think I have decided to go with 0.3 pointers now...and have been looking at different prices between sites. I worry I'd always want the 0.3 as I said in your post. I also spoke to local jewellers too and have been given quotes that are a bit more expensive but not too much more, and am considering that road too, so I can ensure its comfortable.

Would love to be getting one now, but am just recently married, so after just paying for the wedding and the honeymoon I think I have to wait a little bit longer!!!

So lucky you getting one right now!!!

I'm recently married as well. This may be more a dream than anything. DH says to go for it, but I'm not sure he realizes just how much they cost. Either way I will be saving for a few months. Not ready to pull the trigger just yet.

In my head I want bigger stones, but from a price point perspective I'm considering smaller. The setting I like with BGD is much more than I ASSumed a setting would cost.

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm also getting quotes on a five stone ring with .30ish point stones and I think $2,250 for the stones sounds very reasonable, but the prices I've been getting are for certed stones. My ring size is 5 and I don't want to go any higher than ~1.5 ctw. I think with a size 4.25 finger, 1.25 ctw would be very nice and substantial.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I prefer the idea of the 30pointers if it's in the budget, what can I say ::)

I'm also *really* glad you're trying some on!! The one thing I've found about using pics to judge finger coverage is that photos are big fat LIARS. Two eyes makes such a difference...

In photos of my old ring the stones always seemd to stick out on either side of my finger just the tiniest bit. I loved the way that looked in pics. IRL, though, when I was looking at the ring on my finger, the stones ended exactly where my finger ended - the actual real-world finger coverage basically shrinks horizontally, depending on how high the stones are set. I really like the "3D" look of stones that extend slightly beyond the finger IRL, which winds up looking a *lot* wider in pics - especially closeups w/ larger subtending angle!

Awful pic but this is what I mean -

finger_coverage.jpg

mtabh

Rough_Rock
yssie said:
I prefer the idea of the 30pointers if it's in the budget, what can I say ::)

I'm also *really* glad you're trying some on!! The one thing I've found about using pics to judge finger coverage is that photos are big fat LIARS. Two eyes makes such a difference...

In photos of my old ring the stones always seemd to stick out on either side of my finger just the tiniest bit. I loved the way that looked in pics. IRL, though, when I was looking at the ring on my finger, the stones ended exactly where my finger ended - the actual real-world finger coverage basically shrinks horizontally, depending on how high the stones are set. I really like the "3D" look of stones that extend slightly beyond the finger IRL, which winds up looking a *lot* wider in pics - especially closeups w/ larger subtending angle!

Awful pic but this is what I mean -

finger_coverage.jpg

Did you draw that? Epic. And great explanation!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results