shape
carat
color
clarity

First Time E-Ring Buyer..Opinions/Input Greatly Appreciated!

porsche606

Rough_Rock
First off I would like to thank all the people on this forum who donate their time contributing to all the various questions and concerns of it's members. The way that all you guys/gals contribute to help eachother out is unlike any other forum I've seen. Great community here. I first discovered this forum about 2 weeks ago and have been searching and absorbing as much info from it as I can. I think I am ready to submit my semi-informed and self educated attempt at a first post! I'm in the process of shopping for an engagement ring and have been for about 2 months now. In the beginning I knew absolutely nothing about rings and diamonds however now I feel fairly comfortable with my knowledge when dealing with jewelers. 2 months ago I stopped by Jareds with my girlfriend to check out rings and get an idea of what style she liked, I'm glad I did because I was waaaaaay off from what I thought she might like. She fell in love with the double halo, split shank, cushion cut style rings. Below is the ring that she really liked.

20150718_185817.jpg

Now to my surprise after doing tons of research is that this ring is actually pretty crappy in the specs category... I1 center stone with I color and light performance that was simply average. Also I was not aware at the time that these were IGI stones which I now would like to steer away from. Overall I've been all over Dallas looking at rings in B&M stores and was only left disappointed with prices, selection, and quality. Now I'm leaning more towards buying online and I have a good idea on what direction to take in my searching. All in all, here are my goals to hit with finding a ring.

Color: H or higher
Clarity: Eye clean VS1 or VS2 (Does not really matter, just that it's eye clean)
Cut: I would like the best performing diamond possible. AGS ideal or a visually stunning GIA stone.
Fluorescence: Anything medium and below
Ct: Looking as close to 1 full carat as possible. The idea of having a full carat just say its a full carat doesnt matter to me. I just want the largest stone length and width wise I can get within my budget, not necessarily the heaviest.
Cushion style: No antiques. No crushed ice. Modern faceting only with great light performance and fire. I like stones with even lighting and shadow patterns, not random kaleidoscope type stones. Hearts and Arrow would be AWESOME!
Setting: Double halo split shank with a band that's not too thin and dainty. The size of the double halo mountings I have liked tend to be around 11mm wide.
Budget: $5,000-$6,000. I know its not a huge budget like some of the $15k rings I've seen on here... not happening! But I gotta go with simply what I can afford. As close to $5k as possible would be awesome with having an eye clean stone that's not a dud!
Metal: 14k white gold is just fine

Here's where I'm at on finding a setting:

1) Local store can do this for me for $2k (would have to add tax) -
LINK: http://www.diamonddoctor.com/products/882-Diamond-Engagement-Rings-Dallas/38172-White-Gold-Double-Halo-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-Dallas/

2) Local store can do this for $2,200 (would have to add tax) -

20150820_152042.jpg

20150820_152049.jpg

LINK: http://www.robbinsbrothers.com/Engagement-Rings/Wedding-Set/Robbins-Brothers-i54622.ring

3) Really like this one for $2,330 (would be tax free i'm hoping) -

2015-09-01_11_48_08-er6792w83jj-1_-_paint.png

LINK: https://eshop.gabrielny.com/product/ER6792W83JJ/amavida

4) Style wise, this is probably my favorite one... I fell in love with it's big size and looks. Local Kays outlet store can do the setting only for around $3k (would have to add tax) -

20150821_122154.jpg

20150821_122048.jpg

LINK: http://www.kay.com/en/kaystore/neil-lane-engagement-ring-2-ct-tw-diamonds-14k-white-gold-94023261699--1?CAGPSPN=pla&cm_mmc=360i-_-MerchantCenter-_-PLA-_-Ad&utm_source=pla&gclid=CJecy4-S1scCFYVAaQodXswOoA#close

I've checked James Allen, BN, and some of the other major sites but none really have the setting I'm looking for at an affordable price... I may have missed it though. Some that I found seemed to be too small however, I like larger double halo mount on these. Any suggestions on a setting in my budget with this style would be awesome!

Where I am at with the center stone....

Well I've poured over lots of sites... James Allen, Blue Nile, Brian Gavin, etc... And with my amateur eye for diamonds I've found a couple however I figured I'd let some of the more knowledgeable folks on here help out. Below are 2 that I liked:

1) I love the patterning on this one with the lights and shadows, looks brilliant to me. Also eye clean I'm hoping. But of course some of you guys may notice a huge red flag i'm missing.
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/0.94-carat-h-color-si1-clarity-sku-555943

2) This one seems too good to be true, love the HA patterning. Plus I'm guessing I wouldnt have to worry too much about it not having good light performance since it is HA correct? I also dont mind the 1.15 l/w ratio, it's close enough to square i think, might even give it a bit of character with the slightly rectangular dimensions. Why so cheap for a HA though??
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.850-h-si1-cushion-diamond-ags-104079637010

These are the modern, brilliant style, clean faceted stones I'm leaning towards. I hope this is enough info to give you guys/gals a good idea of the route I'm trying to go. I appreciate any and all feedback that would help in my decision... I'd buy you all a beer if I could!

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: First Time E-Ring Buyer..Opinions/Input Greatly Apprecia

The BG stone is actually square - the dimensions given are the length and the diagonal. I forget why - there's a reason - but it is square. And it will blow the JA stone away - the JA looks ok (get an ASET on it if you are interested in it), and it has a different facet pattern than the BG, but if it were me I'd much rather have the BG stone.

ETA: Here's a link to a thread about the diagonal measurement of BG cushions:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-line-of-brian-gavin-signature-cushion-cuts.191403/

porsche606

Rough_Rock

ecf8503|1441132255|3922220 said:
The BG stone is actually square - the dimensions given are the length and the diagonal. I forget why - there's a reason - but it is square. And it will blow the JA stone away - the JA looks ok (get an ASET on it if you are interested in it), and it has a different facet pattern than the BG, but if it were me I'd much rather have the BG stone.

ETA: Here's a link to a thread about the diagonal measurement of BG cushions:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-line-of-brian-gavin-signature-cushion-cuts.191403/

Thanks for the reply! I also think that not many stones will come close to the brilliance of that BG hearts and arrow stone. And thanks for the info on the different measurements used... I thought it looked awfully squared to me lol.

porsche606

Rough_Rock

Any input from anyone else??! I'm about to put the BG stone on hold... Let me know what you guys think please!

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Immediately put the Brian Gavin stone on hold. BG has been in the business a long time, and he developed the specs for the Whiteflash ACA round brilliants before he started his own business. The BG stone is shallower and more spready than most cushions. Cushions tend to be deep and face up small compared to rounds. 6.34 mm is a SUPER nice diameter to work with, like in the 1ct RB range. Nice pick! Get it ASAP. H color should face up very whit

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Setting: If she's going to wear it with a wedding band eventually, I'd say choose a setting that doesn't have diamonds in the sides of the shanks where they will scrape up against an adjacent ring. Concentrate on the halo itself, and the top 1/2 of the shank. If she has a small finger like sz 5.5 or less, then having diamonds wrapping down the lower half of the shank is probably a waste, since they will almost never be seen. Those two changes might help you meet your budget without making any real sacrifices, too.

If you can't find a readymade ring that you like, David Klass has made some very nice ones for people on here. I am a member of a diamond stimulant forum or two, and David Klass's work was well-known there before PS people gave him a try. There is a thread of DK rings on here. eta: DK doe gorgeous engraving. The sides of the shanks could be engraved if you / she doesn't like plain.

I like the double halo, but if you are getting a 6.3mm diamond, you might want to drop back to a single halo since you have a sizable center. Ritani and GabrielNY are two reasonably priced lines. Amavida is part of Gabriel.

porsche606

Rough_Rock

Thanks so much, glad to hear that the diamond will have a good size to it. I went ahead and put it on hold and will likely wire over the money today and order it. Think I got a pretty good deal on a great rock. Now just the setting!

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Okay, I read that report wrong and thought 6.34mm was diameter but now I see it must be the diagonal (I read that other thread that explained the measurements on this particular branded cushion.) At any rate, you got decent face-up size for a cushion, and it will be a super performer. Not quite the surface area of a 1ct RB, but not "wasting" ct weight in depth or thick girdle, either. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results