shape
carat
color
clarity

First Time Buyer- Help

wesdizzle1

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone,
I would like to first off would to thank everyone for their post. I have learned a lot over the last two months, as I look for an engagement ring.
I have gone to many stores and had my girlfriend try on some rings, and she loved the cushion cut diamonds with a halo setting. I have been looking online and have posted a few diamonds that I like.
I am looking for 1.2-1.5 ct, VS2 or better, I color or better, with l/w ratio under 1.1 so that it is more square and a lot of fire and sparkle (thats what I have a smaller hearts and arrows listed). I have been a little reluctant to buy one, because I like to see them in person. I plan on having the Ritani diamonds sent to a jeweler so I can see them, but I know hearts and arrows are beautiful so I would be willing to buy one without seeing it.
I am also looking for a setting like this, with a very thin band (is there a way that the metal wont show as much in the corners of the main stone??)
http://www.loveandpromisejewelers.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/b/a/barra_original_size_cushion_fb_moissanite_cushion_halo_engagement_rign_3_.jpg

http://www-static.weddingbee.com/pics/221919/IMG_2689.JPG

Please let me know what you think!! Thanks in advance :D

https://www.ritani.com/diamonds/cushion-diamond-1-21-Carat-I-color-GIA-certified/D-1YS9J3

https://www.ritani.com/diamonds/cushion-diamond-1-25-Carat-H-color-GIA-certified/D-3SM221

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.171-h-vs1-cushion-diamond-ags-104065051020#!prettyPhoto[gallery2]/1/

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
First off I want you to know that I am not a cushion expert. I have a GOG AVC which was a no brainer purchase for me. I did not know anything except that it was gorgeous. Now modern cushions are a different animal altogether.
Both the Ritani stones looks like crush ice and mush with a lot of leakage :knockout: ... in my limited opinion. Hoping Gypsy will come in and comment on these. The BG stone is awesome stone if it is in budget. :love:

wesdizzle1

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your reply! I am trying to stay as far away from the "crushed ice" look as possible. But I loveee the BG stone as well (even though its a little outside my budget)!!! But for Ritani I like because of the see in store feature, even though I am thinking about just going for it and purchasing the BG diamond :razz:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
wesdizzle1|1414596314|3774444 said:

The Ritani stones are both duds.

The BGD is nice, but if you want a nice generic modern cushion to eek out a little more size, I can do a search for you on JA for example. Or BGD can source you a nice one. They have a great eye.

wesdizzle1

Rough_Rock
Yes, that would be great! I was trying to find the most sparkle I could and was willing to give up a little size because it seems a hearts and arrows will give me that.

noscrusir

Shiny_Rock
Don't always be fooled into thinking that Hearts & Arrows will out-sparkle other cushion facets. I had a chance to compare my modern cushion to a a BGD cushion and, IMO, it was no contest that my diamond was brighter overall. Was able to save about $10k on the price too (both stones were equal size). If you have a chance, see the diamond in person or at least get an ASET along with videos/pictures.

wesdizzle1

Rough_Rock
Thanks noscrusir, Ill be sure try and do that. That is a big reason I wanted to get a diamond for Ritani, as I want to see what it looks like before I made any purchase. Though it seems the experts on here can pretty accurately find a diamond to my specifications without seeing it in person.

noscrusir

Shiny_Rock
Depending on where you live, a good appraiser might be able to bring in your final choices for you to view in person. You'd probably have to pay for return shipping to the vendor on the ones you don't choose but it's a small price to pay for piece of mind. Where do you live? Many of the experts on here might be able to recommend a good appraiser for you. Not all are able to do this but it's worth finding out.

If you're setting the diamond & setting from the same vendor, most of the time they should be able to send you a video and/or pictures before you buy. Wherever you buy, make sure they have a solid return policy in place. I'd call & send and email to reaffirm the specific terms and dates for your inspection period.

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
wesdizzle1|1414618755|3774653 said:
Thanks noscrusir, Ill be sure try and do that. That is a big reason I wanted to get a diamond for Ritani, as I want to see what it looks like before I made any purchase. Though it seems the experts on here can pretty accurately find a diamond to my specifications without seeing it in person.

One idea might be to reach out to GOG with the stone I had found above. Ask them to make a video comparing that stone to two others at the same price in their inventory.

You will be able to see the varied performance in the video, and with that additional knowledge, hopefully have all you need to make an informed decision.

Best of luck!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
JA only had rectangular stones that were worth looking at.

B2C didn't have anything either.

I like the GOG stone that was posted for you.

Call Brilliantly Engaged and have them source you a nice modern cushion. They provide great customer service and ASET images and videos.

wesdizzle1

Rough_Rock
noscrusir- I live about 45 minutes from LA, so I am sure there are a few places I could have it sent.
RockyRacoon- I will ask for the video, thanks!
Gypsy- Thank you for looking. I will contact brilliantly engaged to try and find some more options.

Thank you all!! :appl:

wesdizzle1

Rough_Rock
RockyRacoon|1414621095|3774671 said:

One idea might be to reach out to GOG with the stone I had found above. Ask them to make a video comparing that stone to two others at the same price in their inventory.

You will be able to see the varied performance in the video, and with that additional knowledge, hopefully have all you need to make an informed decision.

Best of luck!

They sent me a video of the diamond and it looks like it has everything I want :D . What do you all think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzPsLkwv3gk&feature=youtu.be..

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
wesdizzle1|1414781708|3775568 said:

Best of luck!

They sent me a video of the diamond and it looks like it has everything I want :D . What do you all think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzPsLkwv3gk&feature=youtu.be...

GORGEOUS. I'd buy it.

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
wesdizzle1|1414781708|3775568 said:

Best of luck!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzPsLkwv3gk&feature=youtu.be...

I meant to respond to this earlier!

Looks great. Any hesitation? If not, I would go for it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results