shape
carat
color
clarity

First time buyer, any advice on this stone?

georgesmith35

Rough_Rock
Hi, with some very helpful advice on this forum, I think I -may- have found the right diamond. Any input on this stones value would be very appreciated. I like that it is 1 carat and Hearts and diamonds, and to me (inexperienced) the inclusions look negligable-except under 30X magnification..The 'I' color is a concern. Will I be discernable to the eye? I havent picked the setting yet, it will most likely be yellow gold, although platinum was/is a possiblity. Would the I color basically rule platinum out, or not necessarily? I really do not know how to 'read' the ASET, Xray and Gemex evaluations, so any insight would be most helpful. Thanks in advance for your time, its extrememly helpful. George

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8322/

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Looks good to me...did the vendor confirm that the inclusions are negligible? In terms of the color, it's really what you (or your SO's) preference it. I have earrings that are I and J and I in white gold and don't notice the color...others may. Have you looked at any stones at a B&M store to get a sense of what an I looks like in platinum?

georgesmith35

Rough_Rock
Honestly, I have been focusing 100% on finding the right diamond, and have not even started looking at settings...I hope this doesnt backfire on me. I like the look of platinum but it may be unrealistic with the budget. My original budget for loose stone was 5k...Yellow gold is most likely. I just have to wonder if I am eliminating platinum as a possiblity with an 'I' stone- thats something to consider. I am going to get more feedback as to its 'eye clarity' and color on tuesday when the jewler is open next. Thanks for your reply

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
I don't think there is a clear answer on whether an I in platinum works...it's really just up to what you (or your SO) sees and likes. I wouldn't think twice.

georgesmith35

Rough_Rock
The stone is from an online source, which is why I cant get a feel for the color myself, short of buying it. Any input on the stones value otherwise would be great as well. Thanks again, George

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
Looks like a very nice stone. As for settings, I have an AGS "I" stone, set in platinum with "G" sidestones, and I do not see any difference nor notice any tint (and my center is over 2 carats). Apparently I am not color sensitive, and you might be, so it is best for you to see the stone before setting. This will not cost you much to purchase the stone and have it shipped to you locally to see it for yourself. But a stone that well-cut will not look yellow in an "I" color.
I believe GOG will ship a stone to a local appraiser for you to see in person with a small deposit, then you can send it back to have it set by them.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
you can also go to local jewelers and look at their GIA / AGS certified stock. it should give you a good sense of what your stone would look like

georgesmith35

Rough_Rock
I didnt realize the price was removed from the link. The diamond is $6300. It seems to be a good value but im no expert!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results