shape
carat
color
clarity

Fire vs Size in an Oval cut

soontobe333

Rough_Rock
I purchased an oval cut diamond from James Allen (haven't received it yet). I want a stone that's of course beautiful and sparkly, but wanted it to be the largest look I could get for the money. I purchased the stone below, which looks to be very large (based on the mm dimensions), but, there's no number for the crown and pavilion angles. Just by my eye, I can see that the crown is very small. I know that will effect the fire. Do you think the crown is so small that it should be a deal breaker? Or, do you think this is a large looking stone for the $$ and will still have a good amount of sparkle and fire?

The specs are:
1.67 carats
H color
SI1
Table is 62% and depth is 59.4%
Measurements: 9.77 x 6.87 x 4.08
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Faint Fluorescence
Paid about $9,500

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.67-carat-h-color-si1-clarity-sku-488035

THANKs!!

Jadx

Rough_Rock
I'm not an expert but my experience was that it was very difficult to find a great oval but very rewarding once I did. You definitely have to see the stones in person. For me, it was very useful to see 3-4 ovals in person and compare to see which stood out. ASET image will help too, but your own eyes will be the best judge.

On paper, the one minor thing I don't like about the oval above is that the table % is larger than the depth %. You'll really need to evaluate it in person to see if it checks out.

soontobe333

Rough_Rock
thank you for the feedback, Jadx...

I did request an ASET image, but they unfortunately didn't have one for this stone. So, I'm left anxiously awaiting its arrival to see it in person. Just really hoping the shallow-looking crown wont affect the brilliance and fire too much because it fits the other specs I'm looking for (H color, eye clean, large-looking and price). Fingers crossed!!

Jadx

Rough_Rock
soontobe333|1427833729|3855233 said:
thank you for the feedback, Jadx...

I did request an ASET image, but they unfortunately didn't have one for this stone. So, I'm left anxiously awaiting its arrival to see it in person. Just really hoping the shallow-looking crown wont affect the brilliance and fire too much because it fits the other specs I'm looking for (H color, eye clean, large-looking and price). Fingers crossed!!

Yeah I know what you are going through. Some of the ovals that I saw had great numbers on paper but didn't look great in person. I ended up getting an eye clean H SI1 oval after seeing it in person and comparing against 3-4 other ovals. The ring is not done yet, but should be soon. Can't wait.

drk14

Brilliant_Rock
FWIW, I think the faceting pattern of that stone is very nice, and it shows a lot of life in the 360 video -- with regards to these two aspects (faceting & scintillation), it is IMO the best H+ SI1+ oval at less than $10k in JA's current inventory.

However, I don't have enough expertise to give you any solid predictions about possible repercussions of the shallow crown in this diamond.

soontobe333

Rough_Rock
Jadx- good luck with yours!!

drk14- thank you for your feedback... I also like the look on the video, so hoping I love it in person and that the crown won't have some sort of deal-breaking negative effect when viewed in person. Compared to others that have a larger crown, to my untrained eye, they don't look any better to me (based on the videos). So, hoping I got more size for my $$!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results