shape
carat
color
clarity

Finger coverage- three stone vs halo?

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I'm considering haloing my 1.2ct stone which currently is in three stone setting with nice horizontal coverage. I'm wondering if a delicate halo would provide enough coverage after being used to a three stone look.

I found pretty setting in a local store that was the most delicate setting they had. I wouldn't buy from them bc the price they quoted was more than an Emilya (!!), but since the center CZ was similar in size to my stone, it was a good proxy. It seems most people who post settings like the Emilya have much larger stones than I, so I'm not sure how the finger coverage would compare. They're such drastically different looks...

Any thoughts? The haloed stone is obviously much bigger in comparison; the sales associate measured this particular halo at 9mm vs my 6.8mm.

_13147.jpg

_13149.jpg

smilligan

Shiny_Rock
I think the two stones look very similar in size, actually. I'm guessing the CZ without the halo is ~7mm? The halo probably consists of 0.5 pointers, which are 1mm in diameter, which equals 2 mm total measured edge to edge. As for coverage, that's a personal thing. It would look larger overall, but it wouldn't be as wide on the finger. Have you considered a three stone halo? You could halo all three of the stones or just the center. Or you could do a split shank halo to give the appearance of slightly more coverage (see below).

detail_primary_transparent_m1r3766c_jp_tableview1-shadow.png

smilligan

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1388291391|3582320 said:
I like your three stone ring!!!

For the record, I think it's beautiful, too. Very well proportioned and blingy.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know, it's hard to say, they are such different looks and both offer good finger coverage…I'm thinking maybe the 3 stone offers a bit more, just because of the side stones. What did you think of the halo? Did you like how it looked?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally prefer the coverage of the three-stone to the halo - but I have a three-stone and love three-stone rings in general. And I can see how someone would prefer the look of a halo.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally prefer the coverage of the three-stone to the halo - but I have a three-stone and love three-stone rings in general. And I can see how someone would prefer the look of a halo.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the look and coverage of the 3-stone :love:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Wow, Laila, you had the exact same dilemma and thoughts I have now! What did you decide on?? You ended up going with a double halo, right?

I tried a double halo on with a radiant; I prefer a round, but it definitely had finger coverage!

I meant to say that the reason I'm considering the halo is that I'm currently working on a graduated five stone OEC ring for my right hand. The setting will most likely end up looking similar to my three stone ring and I'm thinking the five stone would give me enough horizontal coverage, though the OECs are obviously much smaller than my ering stone. The sizes are 3mm, 4mm, and the center stone of 5.3mm. So I'd have my blingy band on my right hand and think my ering would be too similar in style.

But...the halo and three stone are such different looks and I don't know what I'd like long term. 9 years in and I'm tired of my three stone look, despite having just upgraded the stone (bad, I know). One of each would be fabulous but clearly isn't happening!

Smilligan- the CZ was 6.5mm per the calipers and the halo was 9.1mm. My center stone is 6.8mm so very close in size. I know you recently had a lovely haloed three stone made- congratulations on your engagement! I'm not sure a three stone halo would be for me- because the center stone isn't significantly larger than my sides, I think haloing all three would keep them too "blobby" and indistinguishable at those proportions for me, which is something I think I dislike about my current ering already.

Farleysmom

Brilliant_Rock
First off, let me just say that I love your 3-stone and think it is gorgeous. I also have a 3-stone e-ring and a halo RHR. My ering center is 2.01 ct (8.3 mm) and my halo is a 2.5 ct (8.7 mm). Most people comment on the size of the 3-stone even though it is smaller. I think it is the "wall of bling" factor if that makes sense. :razz: I find I never wear the halo on my left hand as it just doesn't look right after wearing the 3-stone. Perhaps you should wear a cz halo for awhile to see what you prefer.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hmm. Well, ive done both.

I think coverage wise, the three stone as more. but presence? I think on you that halo with all the pave has more presence

Im inclined to say "do it", not because of coverage or presence, but because you seem to really ready for a change.

Would you put your old stone back in the three stone and wear them both?

braga123

Brilliant_Rock
Is it too late to take the 2 side stones from your 3-stone and add them to your 5-stone project? I ask this because then your 5 stone would be super blingy and big, which would make you miss your 3-stone less, and that would free your center stone to go halo or single stone!

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
I am going through the same thing with changing my RHR. I've had my three stone RHR for about 9 years and I am so ready for a change! I am going to do a cushion halo and am super excited about it! I think that the three stone gives you nice coverage, but I think the halo will have a larger single stone look if that makes sense! Due to the fact that you are putting a 5 stone together for a RHR would make the decision easier to change to the halo for your ERing. Can you keep your three stone setting in case you change your mind down the road? Also, if you go the halo route, I would just try to keep your setting cost to a reasonable price. I am going with ERD for mine and I cannot wait for the change this spring!! Good Luck!!! Great dilemma!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like your 3 stone much better than a halo. It just looks much more substantial and less like you're "trying to make it look bigger than it is" which is I guess the goal.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Logan Sapphire|1388338558|3582517 said:
And here's the gorgeous Single Stone ring.

Here's another idea…wasn't sure of your personal preference, modern vs vintage but since you showed a vintage style SS ring, how about a vintage style halo? It's a different look and feel from the more contemporary halo style.

Since you are planning a 5 stone rhr, I can see where you might want a different look for your ering.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the three stone looks better.

iluvdiamonds2

Brilliant_Rock
I like your current ring but also like the halo in the first pic. Describe what you don't like about your ring. Is it not enough detail?
What do you like about the halo? I like the fact that there is more finger covrg plus it enhances the center stone by having the smaller stones contrast w/ sparkle next to it. What will u do with the other 2 stones????

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1388340742|3582544 said:

Here's another idea…wasn't sure of your personal preference, modern vs vintage but since you showed a vintage style SS ring, how about a vintage style halo? It's a different look and feel from the more contemporary halo style.

Since you are planning a 5 stone rhr, I can see where you might want a different look for your ering.

Oh like a target ring? It would throw I color. And I know you were looking at sapphires too. Might be an idea.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1388341843|3582559 said:
junebug17|1388340742|3582544 said:

Oh like a target ring? It would throw I color. And I know you were looking at sapphires too. Might be an idea.

No, I just meant a halo with some antique details and where the melee are separated a bit from the center stone. But a target ring is a good idea too!

nlr07719.jpg

Rockredo

Shiny_Rock
I just did this, actually twice! My 3 stone ring had a 1.3 center and .50 sides. I have long slender fingers and I felt like it had horizontal presence but didn't so much to highlight the center stone and I wanted more vertical coverage. I was also bored after 7 years. lol:) my husband did not want me to upgrade the stone, his only request. I am going to attach my pics of the 3 stone and then by first halo which was a cushion and then my current round halo. I decided I missed my round shape with the cushion so I went with a round halo but I have some picky issues with this too... BUT overall I have more wow factor with the halo.

_13193.jpg

_13194.jpg

_13195.jpg

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I remember correctly, you just went to a higher carat center for your three stone. I would say just wear and enjoy it for a while. I am sure it's costing more $$ to keep setting and reseting. (It is for me.) Even though your husband is saying, don't upgrade the stone, I would lay down money that at some point in the future, you will end up upgrading (or buying a new one). After two more resets, continuing to discuss it, think about it, you may wear him down, when you could have used that money to upgrade. I would just save up so you can upgrade as some point b/c a bigger stone is probably what will fill that void you keep trying to fill with bigger center, more coverage, etc.

I would have thought that a five stone would satisfy my need for "bling". It did, but now I want to just see the round outline of the stone, which is why of all the pics you posted I love the singlestone setting the most. Then I will also want "coverage" as well. So IMHO, give yourself a minimum number of months to wear this ring in all its derivations, by itself, with certain stackers, etc, and give yourself time to get used to the different looks, figure out what you like and don't like, before moving forward with another project. Sorry. Not fun. Just my 2c.

smilligan

Shiny_Rock
Logan Sapphire|1388319083|3582408 said:
Wow, Laila, you had the exact same dilemma and thoughts I have now! What did you decide on?? You ended up going with a double halo, right?

I tried a double halo on with a radiant; I prefer a round, but it definitely had finger coverage!

I meant to say that the reason I'm considering the halo is that I'm currently working on a graduated five stone OEC ring for my right hand. The setting will most likely end up looking similar to my three stone ring and I'm thinking the five stone would give me enough horizontal coverage, though the OECs are obviously much smaller than my ering stone. The sizes are 3mm, 4mm, and the center stone of 5.3mm. So I'd have my blingy band on my right hand and think my ering would be too similar in style.

But...the halo and three stone are such different looks and I don't know what I'd like long term. 9 years in and I'm tired of my three stone look, despite having just upgraded the stone (bad, I know). One of each would be fabulous but clearly isn't happening!

Smilligan- the CZ was 6.5mm per the calipers and the halo was 9.1mm. My center stone is 6.8mm so very close in size. I know you recently had a lovely haloed three stone made- congratulations on your engagement! I'm not sure a three stone halo would be for me- because the center stone isn't significantly larger than my sides, I think haloing all three would keep them too "blobby" and indistinguishable at those proportions for me, which is something I think I dislike about my current ering already.

Thank you. :) I completely understand. I hope it didn't seem like I was trying to get you to choose a style I prefer. I know that it's certainly not for everyone (not for most, actually). ;-) Anyway, I like junebug's and Niel's ideas of using antique and/or target halos. I think that it would give you enough coverage and also a unique and interesting style. I also agree with LLJsmom, however. The main point of a halo, for the most part, is to make the center appear larger. If you can afford it, simply upgrading your center should give the most satisfaction. I know that your husband is against it, but he might come around if you show him a comparison of the cost of upgrading vs getting 30 or so new settings. :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results