shape
carat
color
clarity

Finally! Ready to find my Diamond!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

glamgirl

Shiny_Rock
Hi all!
Well I have been lurking here forever. I am so grateful for such a wonderful and informative site. Everyone here is great! What a wealth of advice and knowledge you all have. I thought a knew alot about diamonds......until I find Pricescope!
Well let me tell you, I was one of those people who was completely clueless on the importance of a well cut stone. Eleven years ago, when I got engaged, I went to the diamond district in LA. It was there we purchased a 1.20 ct round with NO certificate at all, but it actually had a ton of life and sparkle. All we knew was that the dealer said it was G color and VS clarity Well, three months into the purchase the ring looked too small and lost on my hand (I am tall and have long fingers), so my husband agreed to upgrade to a 2ct stone. I read a little more on diamonds, we went back, found a stone that was huge and sparkly under all those lights. Well guess what, I made the dumb mistake a second time..... the stone was not certified and again I knew nothing about cut. Even worse the first ring(1.20ct) was better more sparkly and white! After flying back from LA I realized the HUGE mistake I made. My ring was very yellow and dead! It looked dingy, yellow, and when I had it appraised it appraised worse. My i/j color was more L color. I wore the ring for two years. Everytime I saw someone with a sparkly incredible ring, I would turn my ring around and hide my hands, because I knew I was embarrased to show how I let poor judgement get the better of me. Later I bought a vintage platinum, 3 bands of diamonds ring, G -H color VS clarity.... what sparkle!!!! However, it is not my solitare.....but its what I have been wearing for the past 7 years.
Soooo fast forward. This year is our 10 year anniversary! My husband got a promotion at work and guess what? He wants me to get a diamond!!!! One that I love and that I have taken the time to make sure is right!
I have really been thankful for all I have learned. The hard part has been deciding who to have help me with this. Many of the vendors here have great feedback. I initially thought I had to go with good old gold, but I am leaning towards Mark at engagement rings direct. I found a stone I would love input on:

GIA round
H color
Si-1
Depth 62.1
Table 58
Polish VG
Symmetry E
Culet N
Flourescence S
Girdle -
Measurements 9.26XXx5.78

Now I actually Prefer flourescence. What doe S mean? Slight or Strong?
I think this is an ideal cut based on the table and depth measurements, am I right?
Also there was no data for Girdle. If the flouresence is strong would that affect the H color in a good way? I know with IJK it is good. I thought with g and h it was not good or bad and with d,e,f, it was not desirable.
Would love input!!!

Thanks to all you diamond lovers!!!!!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/31/2004 2:32:50 AM
Author:glamgirl

Now I actually Prefer flourescence. What doe S mean? Slight or Strong? (#1)
I think this is an ideal cut based on the table and depth measurements, am I right? (#2)
#1. I guess "Strong", because "slight" is not a word used on lab reports ("faint" is the one used). In theory, this property will turn a very, very slightly visible blue-ish glow on inside the stone whenever the light surce available contains lots of UV - and not anytime else. This hides a yellowish tint in the body color of the stone. Strong sunlight contains enough UV to turn fluorescent diamonds on.
It is often said that fluorescence can make diamonds look cloudy. This happens, but the effect is very rare and takes very strong fluorescence. With "strong" on the report, you might be the lucky finder of just such a case, but the chances are slim. Since you will see the stone before the sale becomes final (during the return period, that is)... there is no risk considering a diamond with strong fluorescence in the first place, IMO.

#2. Not quite... you may want to read the page down this link for a descriptions of what "ideal cut" means. Depth and table are not nearly enough to decide if a diamond is as brilliant as they get
34.gif

Hope the 0.2 worth helps a bit for starters
1.gif

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
For a 3 carat plus diamond, you may want more information on the cut than just the table and depth percentage. Since you don't know the girdle thickness or what S stands for, I assume you haven't seen the certificate. Have you seen the stone? You should be able to look at the certificate, or at least a copy of it, for a purchase this large.

Here is a stone with an ideal cut:

3.11 H VS2 ACA H&A for $36605 (price reduced to reflect discount given upon telling them you found it via PriceScope)

Here's another:
3.10 F VS2 H&A price unknown

Here's one with lower color but with medium blue flourescence:
3.05 J SI1 ACA H&A for $23426

SquareCut

Shiny_Rock
Regarding Mark at engagement rings direct-the man is a saint! I havn''t purchased my diamond yet -still driving Mark crazy, but I totally trust him and he makes the process great!

glamgirl

Shiny_Rock
Hi! I am looking for a 3ct or more round diamond.... want the best cut, Si-1 to Si-2 quality. No less than H color. I like flouresence, as long as blue.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Definitely ask for a Sarin to get the crown and pavillion angles. Then you can crunch the HCA and see what to expect in the way of performance.

Also, ask them to send you a copy of the Cert plot and see if they can take some magnified pics of the diamonds highlighting the inclusions for you. Many smaller SI diamonds are eye clean, but the larger the diamond gets, the easier it can be to see inclusions sometimes. More body showing in a ring for people to see thru the side. You want to check on the size, type, color, and location of the inclusions.

What a lucky girl you are!! Good luck in your search for sparkler!! You''ve made a great start by finding PS!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results