shape
carat
color
clarity

Finally picked out my Tiffany''s ring. Whatcha think?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

FLY6584

Rough_Rock
Well after spending the past 2 weeks on the phone with Tiffany''s every day trying to find the right stone I think I finally found the one. I originally wanted an F VS1 .95-.99, but I could not find anything with that great of a cut. I decided to consider a G and we ended up finding a bigger and slightly cheaper stone so I was hoping ya''ll would let me know what you think:

Round
6.52 - 6.57 x 4.05
G
VS2
PRECISION OF CUT: EXCELLENT
SYMMETRY: EXCELLENT
POLISH: EXCELLENT
FLUORESCENCE: NONE
Depth: 61.9%
Table: 56%
Crown Angle: 34.9
Pavillion Angle: 40.8
Girdle: Medium to Slightly Thick (Faceted)
Culet: None
Star: 55%
LHL: 75%
*See attached HCA

Thanks
2.gif

1.06 hca.JPG

FLY6584

Rough_Rock
I am also considering another ring that is a lot bigger, has slightly better HCA scores, Very Good Symmetry instead of Excellent, Thin to Medium Girdle, and costs about $1400 more. Is it worth it? Is the stone really going to sparkle that much better and look that much bigger than a 1 carat?

Check out the stats and HCA:

Round
6.80 - 6.87 x 4.18
G
VS2
SYMMETRY: VERY GOOD
7.gif

POLISH: EXCELLENT
Depth: 61.2%
Table: 55%
Crown Angle: 34.5
Pavillion Angle: 40.8
Girdle: Thin to Medium (Faceted)
Star: 55%
LHL: 80%
*See attached HCA

Thanks

1.18 hca.JPG

angeline

Ideal_Rock
Sounds like a winner! I'm not a numbers guru, but it looks good to me. Good on you for doing the work to get the best stone you could. Will it be the classic 6 prong setting? oh and congratulations!

a

ETA: oops hadn't seen your second post... I was talking about the first stone..

FLY6584

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/4/2007 12:42:00 AM
Author: angeline
Sounds like a winner! I''m not a numbers guru, but it looks good to me. Good on you for doing the work to get the best stone you could. Will it be the classic 6 prong setting? oh and congratulations!

a

ETA: oops hadn''t seen your second post... I was talking about the first stone..
Yep it will be the classic Tiffany setting. That is one of the main reason''s I am buying from them. I really could careless about the name.

They really have been great and very helpful. I''ve had one of the managers from one of the stores searching every day for the past 2 weeks. Unfortunately Tiffany''s is very short on .95-.99 F VS stones. Only about 7-8 nationwide that even come close to the cut I am looking for. In fact they found a .97 that was very close to what I wanted and brought it in the store and the manager actually called and told me he could not sell me this ring because he was not happy with the inclusions and really felt the stone didn''t deserve to be a VS1.

They did find this F color stone for me though. The numbers are a little weird, but it rates excellent on the HCA and sizes up very nicely for the carat weight. It is cheaper than the 2 G color stones also. What do you all think of this stone?

Round
6.49 - 6.53 x 3.86
F
VVS2
SYMMETRY: EXCELLENT
POLISH: Very Good
Depth: 59.3%
Table: 59%
Crown Angle: 33.6
Pavillion %: 43.0
Girdle: Thin to Medium (Faceted)
*See attached HCA

98 hca.JPG

FLY6584

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/4/2007 12:42:00 AM
Author: angeline
Sounds like a winner! I''m not a numbers guru, but it looks good to me. Good on you for doing the work to get the best stone you could. Will it be the classic 6 prong setting? oh and congratulations!

a

ETA: oops hadn''t seen your second post... I was talking about the first stone..
Thanks for the congrats.
9.gif

peridot83

Shiny_Rock
I''m not an expert, but I wouldn''t go w/ the last one, IMHO vvs2 seems a little overkill, plus as you said, the numbers are a little wonky, and if you are getting this diamond without looking first I''d go with one of the other two. Since I''m not a numbers expert, I hesitate to venture a guess, but I would say this stone is shallower so the spread is great (it looks big). However, there might be the effect that when you look at it closely the diamond will get all dark.

This comes from a person whose sweet spot is a G VS2 and size is VERY important to me under a 7 x 7 spread, so that''s where I''m coming from =)

I mean you really can''t go terribly wrong with Tiffany''s, they are very particular about their diamonds.

As to whether to spend 1,000 more to get .3 more spread...it just depends on your GF/FI. If all she wants is a 1 ct solitaire, then she''s really not going to care whether its 6.4 or 6.7. However, if she''s secretly longing for a 2 ct, then it might be worth the extra money =).

FLY6584

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/4/2007 1:21:04 AM
Author: peridot83
I''m not an expert, but I wouldn''t go w/ the last one, IMHO vvs2 seems a little overkill, plus as you said, the numbers are a little wonky, and if you are getting this diamond without looking first I''d go with one of the other two. Since I''m not a numbers expert, I hesitate to venture a guess, but I would say this stone is shallower so the spread is great (it looks big). However, there might be the effect that when you look at it closely the diamond will get all dark.

This comes from a person whose sweet spot is a G VS2 and size is VERY important to me under a 7 x 7 spread, so that''s where I''m coming from =)

I mean you really can''t go terribly wrong with Tiffany''s, they are very particular about their diamonds.

As to whether to spend 1,000 more to get .3 more spread...it just depends on your GF/FI. If all she wants is a 1 ct solitaire, then she''s really not going to care whether its 6.4 or 6.7. However, if she''s secretly longing for a 2 ct, then it might be worth the extra money =).
Yeah she really doesn''t care too much about the size. She would definitely be happy with a 1 carat. So you would go with the 1.06 G VS2 stone even though it costs $900 more than the .98 F VVS2? I definitely want to pick the one with the better cut, but it sounds like there is a chance this F color stone might actually be a very good cut, but like you said it''s risky without seeing the stone first. I guess I can''t go wrong with the 1.06 G VS2 cuz the numbers probably won''t lie.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d drop to a H VS2 stone and go for biggest I could get.

18.gif

peridot83

Shiny_Rock
Hopefully a numbers type person will jump in by morning to help you out, because in terms of spread you''d be saving $900, going w/ the F vvs2 and they''ll basically look the same size (the 1.06 has about the same spread).

So the real question is if the #s are wonky enough to not take the risk, or whether its splitting hairs and won''t matter. (I mean compared to a regular diamond shopper, you are splitting hairs, all these diamonds are like the cream of the crop). Another thing is..how much would it cost to call the diamonds in, look at them, and then pick?

Regardless of what you do, I think she''s going to be very happy.

whatmeworry

Brilliant_Rock
Do you get to see all three in person to compare? Why not have them all called in. I''d look at the last one and compare it to the second one. That last one may seem wonky by the old cut standards but HCA gives it a good score and it could potentially get a great cut grade by AGS and GIA. It would be hard not to look at a F/VVS2 that faces up the same as the 1.06 G/VS2 and is cheaper to boot. Good luck, the Tiffany ring is a classic, I agree...she''ll be happy.

FLY6584

Rough_Rock
All 3 stones are being brought into the store, but unfortunately they are being brought into the San Diego store and I''m in Alabama so there is no way I can see them in person. They are going to take pictures of the stones today and send them to me.

What do the experts think of this F vvs2 stone? I think I am going to start another thread dedicated to this F VVS2 stone and see what everyone thinks.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Just a thought: there are two Tiffany rings on Signed Pieces right now of just that size and one of them, at least, has some very nice numbers:

http://www.signedpieces.com/item.cfm?item_id=4080

If your GF isn''t opposed to ''previously owned'' you could take the many thousands you''ll save and buy her some nice diamond studs!

I know some gals would be against that, but many wouldn''t. You know your gal best of course.

Ty Cobb

Shiny_Rock
lol I swear some of you are like advertisers for knock off rings. That is what replica is, a nice name for a knock off.

Hmm reasons to avoid the 2nd hand market. You want a Tiffany ring. you have to be careful, especially on ebay that you are getting what they are selling. There are guaruntees and protection and all that, but really and trully, do you want to buy a previously owned or do you want that to be HER ring. There are also matters of the guaruntee from Tiffanys and such to consider. You obviously have done a lot of research, and really want the ring from the store so get it.

As for the rings you are considering. Stay away from the funky numbers one. I am surprised Tiffany''s even has it, as it looks like it would be out of proportion to me.

I would go with the 1.06 ct because the difference in diameter would be less then the thickness of a sheet of paper. Especially at the price difference of 1400 bucks.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/4/2007 5:49:16 PM
Author: Ty Cobb
lol I swear some of you are like advertisers for knock off rings. That is what replica is, a nice name for a knock off.

Hmm reasons to avoid the 2nd hand market. You want a Tiffany ring. you have to be careful, especially on ebay that you are getting what they are selling. There are guaruntees and protection and all that, but really and trully, do you want to buy a previously owned or do you want that to be HER ring. There are also matters of the guaruntee from Tiffanys and such to consider. You obviously have done a lot of research, and really want the ring from the store so get it.

As for the rings you are considering. Stay away from the funky numbers one. I am surprised Tiffany''s even has it, as it looks like it would be out of proportion to me.

I would go with the 1.06 ct because the difference in diameter would be less then the thickness of a sheet of paper. Especially at the price difference of 1400 bucks.
Well isn''t that a funny post for a first time poster!

Signed Pieces isn''t an Ebay company (although they do sell on there)..... they are a very successful business and there are a lot of satisfied customers on Pricescope.

Oh - and I am NOT an advertiser for ''knock off rings'' - just a genuinely nice person trying to save someone a lot of money!

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Many of us have bought previously owned Tiffany, Graff, Cartier, etc. pieces from Signed Pieces before, and the consensus (I think) is that this company is reputable, provides excellent customer service, and ensures the authenticity of all the jewelery they undertake to sell second hand. Often, the pieces comes with all teh original paperwork. They provide a 30 day no-questions-asked return policy during which a person can check authenticity on their own by bringing the piece in to a shop. I have bought from them twice and had a fabulous experience both times, and will happily buy from them again. I don't think anyone needs to worry too much about buying previously owned Tiffany rings from Signed Pieces. Ebay is another story.

A setting might be a 'knock-off' but there is no such thing as a 'knock-off' round briliant diamond. T&Co has no copyright on that.

Just my 2 cts.

ETA: When I lived in Italy, there was a big to-do about how Prada was actually manufacturing the 'knock-off' Prada bags that were being sold on the streets. What constitutes a knock-off, exactly? Cheap materials? Copyright infringement? Think about it. might be more complicated than you think.

And what's wrong with saving money?

jayrenay9

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/4/2007 5:49:16 PM

If one doesn''t care about the Tiffany name, then it seems perfectly reasonable to consider a "knock off", especially since Excel''s is such a great replica.

If you''re not interested in getting a second hand ring for sentimental reasons, then that is understandable, but you don''t need to worry about Signed Pieces -- Ebay, yes... SP, no.

Of the three diamonds listed, I do like the 1.06. Have you looked at any in person to see how color sensitive you are? G is definitley NO problem, but you might be pleased with an H.

Ty Cobb

Shiny_Rock
yes, I agree with the above statements. I have no experience with signed pieces. Glad to know they are reputable. My response about knockoffs while a bit strong was primarily because he had already stated he wanted a T&C ring. I apologize for the strength of my response.

Jewels

Shiny_Rock
I own the a classic Tiffany ring and I must say I love it. If you like the setting, go for it. I would also suggest going to Tiffany''s and look at a few rings in H & I as well. My 1.35c is an I VS1 and it faces up white. My Tiffany band is G VS2 and I could hardly see the difference in color when I wear the rings side by side.

I bought both Tiffany rings from Signedpieces and could not be happier. I am not saying that you should buy from SP, but I just want to provide a feedback on my experience. I was able to save a close to 1/2 price by buying from SP. I took both rings to Tiffany to size, and had my 1.35c ring checked and appraised by them. SP has a 30 money back guarantee and I was able to get my rings checked and sized within the 30 day period. Overall, I am very happy with the rings, SP''s service, and the price that I paid for the rings.

Here is a pic of my rings.

Good luck with your search, please keep us posted.

IMG_505iii.jpg

Ty Cobb

Shiny_Rock
Why do ya''ll suggest paying the extra 1400 for a ring that is only marginally bigger? Not disagreeing, but I really am trying to see the reasoning. The difference in size is not worth the increase in price if you ask me. Bigger is only better when it is noticeablly bigger, to me anyway.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/5/2007 7:20:48 PM
Why do ya''ll suggest paying the extra 1400 for a ring that is only marginally bigger? Not disagreeing, but I really am trying to see the reasoning. The difference in size is not worth the increase in price if you ask me. Bigger is only better when it is noticeablly bigger, to me anyway.

Um...because it''s bigger, that''s why! Most ladies I know would rather have a 1.18 instead of a 1.06. I''m positive I could tell the difference between the two...and I know which one I''d want. (The bigger one, obviously!)

Ty Cobb

Shiny_Rock
well to me it osn''t a big enough difference. The difference by numbers would be slightly more then the thickness of a sheet of paper. Buying shy under a carat or 1/2 carat is worth it, paying more to go slightly over a carat really isn''t. If you were talking about a 1.18 to a 1, it would be, but a difference of .12 carats really isn''t worth it to me, it is not a great difference in size.

InlovewithJHK

Shiny_Rock
i''d get the signed pieces one http://www.signedpieces.com/item.cfm?item_id=3855 it is EXACTLY what you want (i think) and looks great!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd buy that signedpieces one in a heartbeat. I've also been married a few years and wouldn't mind a Previously owned ring. newly soon to be engaged I might have felt differently. Nothing wrong with wanting or buying a tiffany ring (they will hold their value much better than any replica out there) if that's the the wearer really wants one and the buyer is cool with it. I love Tiffany's and if it were in my budget to get the size I wanted from them I'd happily be wearing a Tiffany ring today so If the ring she wants is a tiffany ring and it's in your budget I say go for the 1.06.

oh and although there are some decent replica's out there, nothing is exactly like the Tiffany solitaire IMO and it's one of the things that makes it special!!

fabcrab

Brilliant_Rock
That signed pieces ring looks gorgeous. That''s definitely a steal compared to buying it directly from Tiffany''s! I think you still get it with the blue box correct? I know that''s very important to some girls.

Personally I wouldn''t mind a pre-owned ring. I''m guessing most people''s diamond has been "used" without their knowledge especially with all the trade-up policies out there.

InlovewithJHK

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/6/2007 3:13:27 AM
Author: fabcrab
That signed pieces ring looks gorgeous. That''s definitely a steal compared to buying it directly from Tiffany''s! I think you still get it with the blue box correct? I know that''s very important to some girls.

Personally I wouldn''t mind a pre-owned ring. I''m guessing most people''s diamond has been ''used'' without their knowledge especially with all the trade-up policies out there.
You still get the blue box! Its pic #3 on the link.. HTH!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results