shape
carat
color
clarity

Finally got to try my dream setting...but is it too large?

emmarose329

Rough_Rock
I finally found a jeweler that had the setting in stock and managed to try it on this afternoon!

It's a gorgeous Gabriel & Co Victorian setting which we'll be customizing to accommodate a cushion cut stone.

The sample was a 6.5 while my fingers are a 3.75 which explains why it was so loose, but do you think that the setting itself is too big for my fingers?

What do you think?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWoFmTXwSUY

f31z7ac.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: Finally got to try my dream setting...but is it too larg

It's a lot of setting for such small fingers. I don't know. It wouldn't be my choice. But you said you love it.

emmarose329

Rough_Rock

Gypsy|1396320151|3644749 said:
It's a lot of setting for such small fingers. I don't know. It wouldn't be my choice. But you said you love it.

I do love it, and it looked wonderful in person, but the photos I took are making me second-guess myself. I'm nervous about ordering it and it still looking too large, even sized properly.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I like it!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Will your center stone be as large as the center stone in the sample ring?

emmarose329

Rough_Rock

athenaworth|1396320559|3644753 said:
I like it!

Thanks Athena! I love the ring itself- I'm just not so sure I like it on ME.

emmarose329

Rough_Rock

VRBeauty|1396320582|3644755 said:
Will your center stone be as large as the center stone in the sample ring?

We haven't found a stone yet but we're aiming for around a 6mm cushion (the round CZ in the stock setting was 6.5mm, I believe). G&Co does have a slightly smaller version of the ring but it doesn't look quite as nice in the stock photo as the 6.5mm version (kind of distorted, really). The smaller version is a complete custom order, we wouldn't be able to even see it until after it was custom-made for us.

This is the large version- er7479w44jj-1_2.jpg

And the small- er9315w44jj-1.jpg

patricias

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Will it get in your way? Are you active? Do you work with your hands? If it won't bother you, go for it. If you think that you'll want to take it off to do everyday tasks, I'd reconsider. Please keep in mind that the easiest way to lose a ring is to stick it in your pocket and forget about it until you go to bed. Engagement rings are, for most people, everyday rings, and it's beneficial to have a comfortable, easy-to-wear ring.

braga123

Brilliant_Rock

What does "too big" mean to you? Do you mean chunky? Clunky? Heavy? Or too big because it gives you a lot of finger coverage? What exactly bothers you about it being too big? I ask this so I can better answer your question.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think it is a beautiful setting and will look much better in the correct ring size!

emmarose329

Rough_Rock

patricias|1396321907|3644766 said:
Will it get in your way? Are you active? Do you work with your hands? If it won't bother you, go for it. If you think that you'll want to take it off to do everyday tasks, I'd reconsider. Please keep in mind that the easiest way to lose a ring is to stick it in your pocket and forget about it until you go to bed. Engagement rings are, for most people, everyday rings, and it's beneficial to have a comfortable, easy-to-wear ring.

I'm really not an active person (besides running, where I don't wear ANY jewelry) and have a pretty tame desk job! I don't think it would get in the way, especially if in the correct size. This would definitely be an every day ring, I'm not too concerned about having to constantly take it off! I wear my other ring (1.5 ct oval aquamarine) every day without issue, so I hope this will be the same way!

emmarose329

Rough_Rock

braga123|1396321928|3644768 said:
What does "too big" mean to you? Do you mean chunky? Clunky? Heavy? Or too big because it gives you a lot of finger coverage? What exactly bothers you about it being too big? I ask this so I can better answer your question.

I love that it's a substantial setting, but I'm not sure if it looks like it's proportionate on my finger. I'm sure that the ring size being far too large isn't doing me any favors but I'm worried the setting itself is just too large on my finger and might look better in a scaled-down version.

Magpie4426

Shiny_Rock

Are you dead-set on wearing a wedding band with it? I think it may work better on your finger size as an all-in-one ring. That said, if you love it, go for it. It seems that most of us around here get used to the size of rings rather quickly :D

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock

I saw this photo on the Good Old Gold Facebook page. I think it's the same setting. The diamond is a .91ct princess and her hand looks small like yours. Maybe the size is throwing you because the setting isn't your size. I think it will look fine once it's sized to your finger.

_16411.jpg

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock

Maisie said:
I saw this photo on the Good Old Gold Facebook page. I think it's the same setting. The diamond is a .91ct princess and her hand looks small like yours. Maybe the size is throwing you because the setting isn't your size. I think it will look fine once it's sized to your finger.

if it's this one, it's gorgeous! I don't think it's too big if that's what you think (I got used to it pretty quick), though it's a tad ornate for me. beautiful if you like this style though!

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock

I think what you need is a wedding band custom-cast to hug the contours of that ring so that the pair can drop down where they are supposed to be on your finger. Since the e-ring is so ornate, what you could have somebody do is cast a thin plain gold band exactly to those contours.

Alternate suggestion is to get that setting you love, wear it on left hand while engaged, then wear it on your right hand after ward.

Alt 2 is wear it as e-ring now, and then get something different for a wedding set later, and put a colored gen in the Gabrielsetting later.

I think if you pair up those two rings there, even if correct sizes, the shank of the e-ring is going to bang into your knuckle repeatedly. The shanks of both rings need to drop down lower than that knuckle.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Maisie|1396330669|3644815 said:

This is really beautiful...I wonder if its the smaller version? I really love the setting!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

It will look a lot better once it is sized properly. I have that problem all the time when trying on rings.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I just wanted to add that I would definitely wear a straight band with it. Adding a band made to fit the e-ring will only make it look bulky, in my opinion. Plus, it makes the band totally unwearable with another band when you don't want to wear the e-ring. I love exactly what you have on in your picture, except in the right ring size!

emmarose329

Rough_Rock

Magpie4426|1396328051|3644803 said:
Are you dead-set on wearing a wedding band with it? I think it may work better on your finger size as an all-in-one ring. That said, if you love it, go for it. It seems that most of us around here get used to the size of rings rather quickly :D

I really love the antique look of the setting + straight band! I fell in love with the Tiffany Legacy band and love the look. I have heard of DSS, haha, but I'm also concerned about it being overwhelming on my finger! I'm also 22 as of last week and I know younger women with substantial engagement rings get some comments.

emmarose329

Rough_Rock

Hi, Maisie! That photo is exactly why I wanted this setting! I'm honestly HOPING that's the smaller version of the ring, because it's lovely. I may have to get in touch with GOG and find out!

emmarose329

Rough_Rock

TC1987|1396353186|3644886 said:
I think what you need is a wedding band custom-cast to hug the contours of that ring so that the pair can drop down where they are supposed to be on your finger. Since the e-ring is so ornate, what you could have somebody do is cast a thin plain gold band exactly to those contours.

Alternate suggestion is to get that setting you love, wear it on left hand while engaged, then wear it on your right hand after ward.

Alt 2 is wear it as e-ring now, and then get something different for a wedding set later, and put a colored gen in the Gabrielsetting later.

I think if you pair up those two rings there, even if correct sizes, the shank of the e-ring is going to bang into your knuckle repeatedly. The shanks of both rings need to drop down lower than that knuckle.

This is the contoured band, which I am not a fan of- er7479w44jj-4.jpg

I think it makes the set even MORE bulky! I'm definitely set on the straight band, I just need to get the proportions of the e-ring right.

emmarose329

Rough_Rock

tyty333|1396355544|3644913 said:

This is really beautiful...I wonder if its the smaller version? I really love the setting!

I really hope it's the smaller version!! It's PERFECT!

emmarose329

Rough_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1396360200|3644962 said:
I just wanted to add that I would definitely wear a straight band with it. Adding a band made to fit the e-ring will only make it look bulky, in my opinion. Plus, it makes the band totally unwearable with another band when you don't want to wear the e-ring. I love exactly what you have on in your picture, except in the right ring size!

EXACTLY what I was thinking! I'm really not a fan of contoured bands, and the one that comes with this ring is especially bad.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

here's one I found. I like a smaller stone in it better I think

uploadfromtaptalk1396370033523.jpg

emmarose329

Rough_Rock

Niel|1396370037|3645096 said:
here's one I found. I like a smaller stone in it better I think

I love Dragonfly's ring too! Her finger is a 6 though, as opposed to my stupidly small 3.75. I think we're going to order the slightly smaller setting and put around a .83/5.5mm cushion in it.

redroze

Shiny_Rock

That setting will look great in your size! I like the GoG FB version and how the rose gold kind of defines the details and makes it look less thick. Would you consider that mixed gold version?

I agree with doing a straight pave band with a detailed e ring. Take it from a fellow contoured band owner. I actually love how mine looks alone but with my old ering it just looked weird. Both rings have to stand on their own but still somehow relate. I also think you can get away with an even thinner band than the one in your photo, and consider going without the milgrain and border so that it's just pave. I know bright cut pave and milgrain looks more vintage, but with a u cut pave you can achieve a thinner look, without having to go super tiny with the melee size (as the bright cut border takes up some space).

emmarose329

Rough_Rock

redroze|1396371681|3645113 said:
That setting will look great in your size! I like the GoG FB version and how the rose gold kind of defines the details and makes it look less thick. Would you consider that mixed gold version?

I agree with doing a straight pave band with a detailed e ring. Take it from a fellow contoured band owner. I actually love how mine looks alone but with my old ering it just looked weird. Both rings have to stand on their own but still somehow relate. I also think you can get away with an even thinner band than the one in your photo, and consider going without the milgrain and border so that it's just pave. I know bright cut pave and milgrain looks more vintage, but with a u cut pave you can achieve a thinner look, without having to go super tiny with the melee size (as the bright cut border takes up some space).

I love the GoG version but my boyfriend HATES rose gold. :(( Plus I think a big part of the aesthetics of that ring is that it's (I think) a champagne diamond which matches the rose gold very nicely- I'm not a big champagne diamond fan.
I do love the band I tried! I like how the milgrain matches the engagement ring.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Have you considered an AVC to go in the setting? That last ring Niel posted looks like it has an old cut, and I think that is so pretty in that setting!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results