shape
carat
color
clarity

Final Decision: 5 stone trellis or u-prong?

livewithease

Shiny_Rock
I'm purchasing a five stone ring from BG and I need help determining which is the better option. The ring will be a RHR in size 5 that I will wear alone or stacked with my 3mm shared prong eternity band with a small spacer between the two to prevent rubbing.

Here's the info and options I've received from BG:
1.) trellis setting with all the same size stones (5X 0.30)
2.) u-prong with all the same size stones (5X 0.30) - BG indicated that the u-prong setting is better stacking. Does anyone know if this is true?
2.) trellis setting with graduated stones - this was my original thought but BG is telling me nothing less than a 0.70 would look right as the center stone. While I'd love to get a larger center stone it's pushing me over my budget. I know many of you have indicated that size is not necessary and I've plenty of pictures and drawings that help to validate that. To do a graduated version within my budget I would need to do a 0.60 center with 2X 0.30 and 2X 0.15.

Questions:
Do you agree that a graduated version with 0.60, 0.30 and 0.15 would still work?

The non graduated and graduated would both equal 1.5 ctw but do you think one would have better presence over the other and be easier to stack?

Since my eternity band is platinum does that mean I should order this new ring in platinum as well or could I do 18K WG and just wear a spacer when I wore the two rings together?

I'm looking at all H/SI1 eye clean diamonds. Do you think I need to go up in clarity or color or these will be fine.

I really appreciate any advice anyone can give me. I feel like I'm so close to making a decision but don't want to make a mistake.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the sizes for graduated are not the ratio I would personally choose. Have you seen m-2-b's thread of her 5 stone ring?

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-victor-canera-graduated-5-stone-ring.177310/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-victor-canera-graduated-5-stone-ring.177310/[/URL]

Her stone sizes were 0.33/0.41/0.56/0.41/0.33 and 4.49/4.82/5.33/4.82/4.50 mm and I think the ring size was around 6.

I like a subtle graduation like hers. So I'd probably do something like 20/30/40/30/20. Basically it would be like her two end stones with the 20's on each end. (I'd really have to check mm to get that exact, though.)

livewithease

Shiny_Rock
I took a look at that thread and I agree a more subtle graduation would work better. I tried pricing one with 0.40, 0.30 and 0.25 as well as 0.50, 0.30 and 0.25 and the total cost is definitely more than 5X 0.30. While I love the subtle graduation the price of the same size stones is more appealing.

Do you think the trellis setting works as well with the same size stones or the u-prong would be better for this? Also, do you think either setting lends itself to stacking better?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer a more obvious graduation (obviously lol ) not just because I have one but because I find the smaller ends more comfortable between your fingers.

I'd go so far as to do a .5, .25, .11 or so. Buy I think a .6,.3. 15 would be nice too

livewithease

Shiny_Rock
Niel I'm so confused!!!!! I know I prefer the trellis setting and my gut tells me that setting looks best with graduated stones. BG keeps telling me I would need to do 0.70, 0.30, and 0.15 for it to look good. While I think this would look great it's a bit expensive which is why I was looking to downsize the proportions to help bring down the cost. While the obvious graduation is really nice I don't think I need that considering this ring isn't my engagment ring. I figure I can always upgrade in the future if I wanted.

The only other option I'm still workong on is sourcing other stones to match the one I have. I've been talking to Grace but her costs seem a bit high and by the time I send my stone, etc I may not save that much $$. I originally thought my stone was a 1/2 carat but it's only 0.37 so it may not be worth the added steps and better off used for a pendant.

The smallest BG will go on the ends is 0.10. It's just so hard to do a graduated version without seeing it or trying it on. I'm going to go back to BG and ask if they have a recommendation for a graduated version with less obvious graduation and see what they say.

In terms of the proportions I suggested I got it from this CAD drawing. I thought the 0.60 looked nice but my husband actually preferred the 0.50.

_29469.jpg

_29470.jpg

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Graduated 5 stone rings are lovely, but the less complicated choice here would be to get one with the stones that are all the same size. I have a five stone right hand ring (size 6) with 40 point diamonds and I absolutely love it. I wear it a lot and find it very comfortable. And you should be fine going with H SI1.

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with your husband I like the .50 better from your CAD drawing.
I also like the idea of all matching stones, the Trellis setting is one of my favorites :love:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer the first set (with the 60 pt center) but both are lovely. I still think you could compromise and do .17, .25,. 5....and I am one to agree I don't really see much graduation in rings with small graduation like m2b's....I dont see the graduation to my eye. Now, that may be a good thing if youre not trying for an obvious one, it makes for a big look without paying for all the same (large) sizes.
I know what you mean about it not being your e ring
.... What size is your hand? Use the measurements of the stones, add them together, gut a piece of paper that long and tuck it onto your hand. Will it end up being between your fingers? If so, do ypu want that?

livewithease

Shiny_Rock
I dropped my grandmothers stone off to a local jelwery place today for them to price out what it would cost me to purchase 4 additional stones that match my stone (so all 0.37) or a graduated version. They recommended 0.20-0.25, 0.37, 0.50 - 0.55. I'm going to see what they come back with and if the prices are a lot less I will go this route. BG already confirmed they would work with my stones. If it doesn't end up being that much of a cost savings and a subtle graduation with new stones is more money I will move forward with all 0.30.

My finger is a size 5.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
livewithease|1429902869|3867254 said:
I dropped my grandmothers stone off to a local jelwery place today for them to price out what it would cost me to purchase 4 additional stones that match my stone (so all 0.37) or a graduated version. They recommended 0.20-0.25, 0.37, 0.50 - 0.55. I'm going to see what they come back with and if the prices are a lot less I will go this route. BG already confirmed they would work with my stones. If it doesn't end up being that much of a cost savings and a subtle graduation with new stones is more money I will move forward with all 0.30.

My finger is a size 5.
Oh I think if you could use your grandmothers that would be great

livewithease

Shiny_Rock
Workong every angle to see which one gives me the best price. Grace said it would be about $1200 for a matching stone plus two smaller ones and about $1400 for something larger than 0.50. I did to think that sounded bad but figured I'd have one more place take a look and provide me with pricing. The downside of going through Grace is that I need to have my stone taken out of the setting and then mail it to her and then have all the stones sent to BG. If I end up not liking it I'm stuck with it.

BG is quoting me $3400 for 5X 0.30 (H/SI1) and then the setting. I have no clue if that price is good. The upside of going with these is that I could upgrade in the future if I wanted to. I can also return the whole thing if I decide it's not what I want.

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
Just my two cents on the setting. A couple of months ago I purchased a 5 stone U Prong from BGD with ~ .35 I SI1 stones. Shortly after I received the ring, I left the country for 6 weeks. I never "loved" the ring. The setting felt bulky, but I also noticed the color a lot in the I stones from the side. Since the U Prong setting is so open, the color from the side was pretty visible to me. Now I am not normally color sensitive, as I have a 1.73 J SI1 set in a band with .10 E-F stones, and I do not notice the color at all. I had debated between the U Prong and Trellis settings, and rather than going with my gut and getting the trellis, I went with the U Prong at the urging of the BGD rep.

When I got back home, I compared my ring with an older ring I had that contained F-G stones, and decided that I just couldn't live with the I stones and be happy. I contacted BGD and picked out 5 new stones, all E and F, shipped my ring back and finalized my deal today. Hopefully I will be happier with the U Prong setting once I have some nice, white diamonds in it (pretty sure I will!).

I would encourage you to try on settings before you order, regardless of whether you go with a standard 5 stone or graduated. I wish I had.

Also, you can go on BGD's website and look at various stones for pricing.

livewithease

Shiny_Rock
ImpatientOne thank you for your feedback and I hope once you get your new stones you're happy with your ring. Do you mind sharing what size finger you have?

The BG rep is also recommending the u-prong setting if I do stones all the same size. My gut is telling me to get the trellis setting which is what I'm planning to do. The BG rep is telling me the trellis setting looks best with graduated stones which I can absolutely see. Where I'm having an issue is determining the right proportions to achieve a subtle graduation while still getting maximum finger coverage. I've asked BG for a recommendation but haven't heard back yet.

In terms of the stones they suggested H/SI1. I pushed back and asked if I'd see a difference of I went with G/VS2 but they said I wouldn't see any noticeable difference. I'm thinking I should revisit this just to be safe.

I really hope you love your ring once you receive your new stones.

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
My ring size is 5.75. The .35 stones gives plenty of finger coverage. The U Prong setting is nice, but is more modern and less graceful than the trellis. I think I will probably always regret not going with the trellis, but will be happy enough once I get some nice, white diamonds in the U Prong.

Since you are planning to stack, I'm thinking the U Prong would probably be better for that. You can see from the side profile pic below that you shouldn't have any problems with the girdles rubbing, depending on how high your shared prong band is. You will likely need a spacer if you go with the trellis and stack. Also, I would consider going to G stones, but sticking with the SI1's. BGD's SI1 stones are gorgeous. I looked with my loupe and could not see anything. I think you'd be pretty safe with smaller stones, sticking with SI1's.

Here are a few pics - these are all BGD Signature rounds - SI1 I. Last pic is blurry, but you will see the tint that was bothering me (excuse the wrinkled hands, I was in a rush and didn't have time to put any lotion on, lol!):

img_1356.jpg
img_1353.jpg
img_1354.jpg

As a comparison, here is my old 1 ctw 5 stone with F-G stones along with my wedding set that is E-F .10 pointers with a 1.73 J center stone. No yellow tint at all that I can see.Granted, the lighting conditions were different, but no matter what lighting I was in, those I's never looked good to me.

IMG_0268a.jpg

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
Wanted to add that I am working with BGD for a 5 stone for my daughter, who was recently married. I had 4 E-F .10's Ideal cut, so she ordered the shared prong platinum setting and BGD suggested one of their Signature E stones. We finalized that deal today as well. Can't wait to see how her's turns out :appl:

BGD is awesome to work with and answered all my millions of questions promptly!

livewithease

Shiny_Rock
This is super helpful and the pictures are great. I do see what you mean about the color and I think you will be much happier once you have your new stones.

As of right now I'm confident I want the trellis setting with graduated stones if I can determine the right proportions and BG confirms that a graduated version is not custom because I want the comfort of being able to return the ring if I'm not completely happy. I keep thinking a .50 or bigger as the center but now I'm thinking something more like 0.40, 0.30, 0.25. I'm sticking with SI1 but now looking at F or G.

When I do stack the ring I don't mind wearing a very thin spacer.

refraction

Rough_Rock
I'd just like to throw this out there... Have you considered making your grandmother's 0.37ct your center?

Bumblebee's graduated 5-stone is gorgeous and I think it's a great example of a slightly smaller ctw for you. It's a size 5.5 ring, trellis setting from Whiteflash, with slightly graduated stones (.15, .20, .30, .20, .15) It's delicate, but still has great finger coverage. So if you're looking to work within your budget, I think you have room to consider smaller stones and still have a beautiful ring.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-5-stone-ring-thread.134007/page-11#post-3540436#p3540436']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-5-stone-ring-thread.134007/page-11#post-3540436#p3540436[/URL]
img_5571.jpg
img_2356.jpg

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-5-stone-ring-thread.134007/page-12#post-3731663#p3731663']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-5-stone-ring-thread.134007/page-12#post-3731663#p3731663[/URL]
photo_10_6.jpg

Bumblebee's ring is my current inspiration, and the stones I've collected are 0.10, 0.25, 0.37, 0.25, 0.11... I'm still working on the setting though and debating trellis or u-prong like yourself.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you decide!

livewithease

Shiny_Rock
Refraction those pictures help a lot and yes that ring is stunning.

I'm still considering using my grandmothers stone and have two vendors (grace and one local place) pricing out matching stones for me to see if there would be a big cost savings. I should hear back this week. Ideally I'd love to work with the local place because it's easier. I probably would look to use her stone as one of the side stones only because I want the ring to be a bit bigger so it looks different from my eternity band. If I use her stone I'm thinking .25, .37, .50. If I don't see a big cost savings I'm thinking something like .40, .30, .25 but either way I'm absolutely going with the trellis setting.

Are you thinking of working with WF or someone else? I did get a quote from WF but they we're more $$ if I used new stones and they won't touch my grandmothers stone because it's not certified. BG didn't have an issue.

refraction

Rough_Rock
I'm considering Erica Winters and David Klass for the setting.

I hope your local jeweller pulls through. But even if your grandmother's stone doesn't end up in your 5 stone, I'm sure there are many other lovely places it can be used. My .37 is waiting patiently in a pendant while I decide on my 5 stone setting for it :)

livewithease

Shiny_Rock
Are you thinking bout doing a more vintage style setting? Have you seen one that DK or Erica Winters has done that you love? I really like the BG trellis but I haven't been super impressed with the customer service or recommendations I get. One thing I've learned is that you must feel 100% comfortable with the vendor you select.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results