shape
carat
color
clarity

Fiance notice diamond chipped Saturday night

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zac.carlson

Rough_Rock
Saturday night my fiance came home from work where she noticed her diamond was chipped. She is a nurse and does not typically wear her ring while working. She stores it in her purse while at work, with the only hard object being her keys. Apparently she noticed this chip while she was putting her ring back on when she was leaving.

Let me first decribe the diamond and ring:

0.70 carat Brilliant cut diamond, H I1 in a four prong platinum engagment ring.
Purchased 20 October 2003 from Shane Co Direct Diamond Importers

Sunday morning we went back to the store with their certified apprasial sheet that contains the warranty information. Because I never expected a diamond becoming chipped through normal wear, I was amazed when the rude sales person told me "that''s what you have insurance for, hun." I expected the store to back their diamonds up and replace a chipped diamond with one of equal weight and quality. Already angry, I became more irritated when the sales person likened our diamond to her virtually unbreakable dishes. Needless to say we left the store frustrated and unsure what to do.
I decided to head to the local mall to check the policy at other jewelery stores. Of the three i went to, all of them would have replaced the diamond, no questions asked. I plan on calling around to a few more today.
This chip is large enough to easily notice without a loop, and has produced a crack into the center of the diamond rendering 1/3 of the diamond semi opaque.

Obviously, we want to replace the diamond. However, we feel the store should replace the stone. Are we out of line? Everyone I have talked to is appalled at the fact the store wont replace the diamond. What is the best way to handle this?

I appreciate any help you all can offer.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Umm, I don't mean to be rude either...but that IS what you have insurance for. You actually expect them to replace the stone over one year later? Come ON now. Sorry, you are in the wrong. I'm REALLY sorry the stone chipped, but it happens. And the other jewelers told you they'd replace it no problem b/c THEY didn't sell you the stone. *Sure" they'd replace it no questions asked. My foot. Sorry
7.gif
I hope it all works out for you.
P.S. Nothing wrong with a good I1....but if there are some surface breaking feathers in that i1...well, you run a higher risk of chipping.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Oh boy. First off, I am simply a consumer but your account is prompting me to ask a few questions.

How does your fiancee store the ring while it''s in her purse? I imagine it''s in a pouch or box or something, not just clanging around? Also, you say the ring was purchased in 2003? So it''s been worn for about/just over a year? Correct?

I feel for you and your situation. This is a heartbreaking experience but I am surprised other stores are saying they''d reurn the stone--my gut says that the diamond''s chipping is not the jeweler''s fault but a horrible accident. Also, did you have the diamond appraised? Where is the cert from? An I1 diamond can have inclusions that, with the right force on the right spot, can cause the diamond to chip or crack-the opaque quality you mention is making me thing this might be the case (hopefully an expert weighs in on this). It is rare, but diamonds can and do chip. It''s a myth that they are indestructible.

I suppose it all comes down to the precise language in the warranty--does it say that Shane Co. will replace the stone "for any reason, at any time, if it is damaged or chipped"? I am going to my jeweler today; I might ask him what he would do in this situation for another opinion.

Let''s see what some of the epxerts/vendors here say.
1.gif

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

zac.carlson,

Shane Co. has a fairly specific warranty and they should have given you a copy of it at the time of your purchase. It will explain what is covered and what is not as well as what the rules are for keeping the warranty in effect. The salesperson at the store is not a good source for this kind of information. It''s probably attached to your sales receipt but, if you don''t have a copy, the store manager should be able to give you a copy and explain the terms to you. Politely. You might want to mention the salesperson''s behavior to the manager as well, they should never be that rude, whatever the message.

Neil Beaty
Independent Appraisals in Denver

cascadejim

Rough_Rock
what does the sales receipt say and what is their written policy? If it''s not in writing that''s it, you''re out of luck. Sorry that happened.
8.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry to hear this
7.gif

I am surprised by the other stores' saying they would replace chipped diamonds... would that be done outside the return period ? Do they issue some warranty upon purchase? Does Shane? I can only imagine it would be quite a burden for any shop to keep replacing valuable diamonds...

One thing comes to mind. I am not too surprised that a diamond got chipped - it happens. But the damage you describe is way beyond the obvious. Even given I1 clarity, a bunch of keys rattling in a handbag should not be enough to crack a diamond beyond recognition. Either the clarity grade was overstated, or the dimaond must have had some serious flaw to begin with. It is not possible to check this through a computer screen, but an appraiser or a diamond cutter could tell. If the accident was made possible by a severe flaw of the stone, perhaps this gives some ground for having it replaced ?
11.gif

The way you describe the crack, it may not be feasible to repair (actually, that means recuting). But who knows ? Worth asking, IMO.

zac.carlson

Rough_Rock
Let me first say that I do not beleive the retailer directly caused the damage. Being pretty naive when it comes to diamonds (if you couldn''t already tell), the first and only conclusion I can draw from this is that I was sold a diamond flawed in such a way that it was susceptible to chipping. I would have expected to be alerted to any flaws that would put the stone in danger during the regular cleaning and inspection.

I am trying to asscertain if I have an unreasonable expectation. It seems like maybe I do.

denverapprasier, their warranty is not very specific.
We warrant and guarantee the quality of workmanship of the below described article of jewlrt for as long as you own it, as long as no outside jeweler works on the peice.
Based upon this, I have no idea what specifically is or is not covered. For all I know, the diamond had an inferior cut which in my mind would fall under the quality of workmanship.

Again, I''m pretty naive when it comes to all of this. So I have no idea what to resonably expect. I think what bothers me the most is the fact three other jewelers would honor this type of incident under their own warranties.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I don't want to sound misanthropic, but somehting tells me that the three other jewelers might be saying one thing becasue it looks good in case you are suddenly in the market for a new stone and would actually do another if this was their diamond--I agree with MMM--the chipping of the diamond is not the jeweler's fault...unless the diamond was grossly misrepresented when you bought it and it is maybe an I3 with flaws so delicate that a simple whack might have caused it to crack.

I had a small (5 pt) diamond in a cheap ring crack on me years ago--it was just as you described--first, after I bumped it--it went "white" then it fell out in pieces. It was probably I3 melee.

You need to read the warranty. You may have some room there if they explicitly state they will cover any damage, at any time, no matter what. But I have a sinking feeling that some due dilligence (cert verification, appraisal) was not done at the time of sale and therefore, you may not be able to even ascertain the correct original clarity of the diamond.

You haven't answered the cert question (have you)? GIA, AGS, EGL...?

1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/27/2004 10:11:58 AM
Author: zac.carlson

Again, I''m pretty naive when it comes to all of this. So I have no idea what to resonably expect. I think what bothers me the most is the fact three other jewelers would honor this type of incident under their own warranties.
This alone gives you some ground to claim replacement, based on that one line warranty: after all, if it is not too specific you may conceivably obtain satisfaction as well. I bet Shane will not be happy to take up the loss though, regardless. So this may take some work.

"quality of workmanship" also implies their choice of simonds, I would imagine.
20.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Again, I'm really sorry this happened to you...but I seriously doubt that the other stores *would* replace it for you despite what they are telling you now...b/c it's not THEIR store that has to do the replacing. Also, I really doubt that ANY seller's warranty says they'll replace the stone if it chips. This would be seller suicide, no? I respectfully disagree with Ana (but I still love her LOL
1.gif
), the warranty you got says it's guaranteed re: workmanship, certainly not your choice of diamond and certainly not chipping one year later. I wish you luck arguing that they caused the chip one year ago.

As J-Fo said, unless there was misrepresentation involved, they did nothing wrong. I don't mean to be harsh, but it is the consumer's responsibility to get educated and be aware of the risks associated with the stones they are purchasing. Your expectation is incorrect here (and I'm a consumer)...I would never in a million years, buy a ring and then bring it back to the seller one year later and be like "oh, this was a defective diamond."

Seriously, I hope it works out for you.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/27/2004 10:286 AM
Author: moremoremore

I would never in a million years, buy a ring and then bring it back to the seller one year later and be like ''oh, this was a defective diamond.''
Agreed
2.gif
I wouldn''t dare either... I am as puzzled as you are at claim of the other stores.

I1 clarity getting smashed by keys - does that sound believable MMM ?

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
The "defect" was not the fault of the seller. It is your responsibility as a consumer to educate yourself on the diamonds before you purchase. Not all I1''s are "bad" however, I would never purchase an I1 for an engagement ring. Do you have insurance? Because it is really what it is for. I know it is a sentimental purchase, but you will have a huge fight on your hands if you try to get the company to replace the diamond when the accident was b/c of wear. Of course the other stores would say they would have replaced it, they want your money.

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
I hardly ever post, but this topic caught my eye since my boyfriend and I visited a local jewelry chain last summer that offers a 1 year warranty against chipping/damage & we were wondering, realistically, how valuable or beneficial that would be ~ in other words, how likely is it for a diamond to become chipped or damaged w/in the first year of ownership...

Anyhow, here is the text of their warranty from their website:

"If your B.C. Clark diamond becomes chipped or damaged within 1year from the date of purchase, simply return the damaged diamond and we will replace your diamond free of charge."

Although, even if you had this kind of specific warranty, you''d still be out of luck I guess because the 1 year mark has passed...
emsad.gif

It would be interesting to see if, of the stores you contacted that claimed they would replace the stone, would they replace it w/in 1 year, 5 years, as long as you owned the stone??? What kind of time limit do they place on that kind of warranty??? If its more than a year or so, then that''s a HUGE amount of liability for them to carry.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think this clearly falls outside the category of 'workmanship' and would therefore not be covered by the warranty unless there are other conditions elsewhere in your policy. It is fairly likely that this would be a valid insurance claim but it will be subject to the conditions of your policy. Talk with an adjuster from your insurance company and see if you are covered for this kind of loss.

I agree with the above posters that it's unlikely that the other stores would cover this either. There are some exceptions. Some stores 'warranties' are actually an insurance policy that is purchased in your name from a 3rd party insurer. This policy can cover loss, theft, damage and all of the things that are covered any of their other policies. The store agrees to pay the deductible and the Insurance Company process a claim in the usual fashion. These sorts of deals will have an expiration date, usually 1 or 2 years from the purchase date, and you will then need to pay the renewal premium to keep it in effect. It's possible that the other store you spoke with has a program like this for their new sales but it seems more likely that this is just an opportunity to take a cheap shot at Shane.

Neil Beaty

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/27/2004 11
6.gif
9:16 AM
Author: denverappraiser
I think this clearly falls outside the category of ''workmanship'' and would therefore not be covered by the warranty unless there are other conditions elsewhere in your policy. It is fairly likely that this would be a valid insurance claim but it will be subject to the conditions of your policy. Talk with an adjuster from your insurance company and see if you are covered for this kind of loss.

I agree with the above posters that it''s unlikely that the other stores would cover this either. There are some exceptions. Some stores ''warranties'' are actually an insurance policy that is purchased in your name from a 3rd party insurer. This policy can cover loss, theft, damage and all of the things that are covered any of their other policies. The store agrees to pay the deductible and the Insurance Company process a claim in the usual fashion. These sorts of deals will have an expiration date, usually 1 or 2 years from the purchase date, and you will then need to pay the renewal premium to keep it in effect. It''s possible that the other store you spoke with has a program like this for their new sales but it seems more likely that this is just an opportunity to take a cheap shot at Shane.

Neil Beaty
i agree with neil, this is most likely the case.
good luck!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A flawless diamond can chip just about as readily as an I1. It depends on the circumstances and the exact way the stone is cut. A thin girdle, a shallow crown angle, a blow to just the right spot, and there''s a small or even a large chip. Diamonds are very hard, but not as durable as we might like them to be. They can cleave along their crystal faces and fracture against their natural grain. They don''t often break, but they can.

When a chip happens to a consumer, it nearly always is a large shock. I feel badly for you, but usually these things can be repaired or, if you are insured, the diamond can be taken by the insuror for salvage and they will get you a like-kind replacement. I know of no well known retailer who guarantees the diamonds they sell, but it is sort of a cruel thing for a competitor to say something to the effect that had you bought it from them, they would have covered you. I just don''t believe any of them really offer that sort of insurance oriented protection.

If you have no insurance coverage and want the stone analyzed for potential weight loss and cost of repairs, we can offer that sort of service to you. Take one careful step at a time with this, count to ten, relax, and get back your equilibrium. It all can be worked out in most cases.......

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I don''t meant to sound brash, but it doesn''t really matter what other jewelers *claim* they would do.....that is useless information until you buy from them.

The diamond was purchased more than a year ago. As a consumer, I wouldn''t expect them to replace the stone....this isn''t a "workmanship" issue. Workmanship issues would be 1) they didn''t set the stone properly and it fell out, or 2) they gouged the setting, or some other similar issue. The "cut" of a diamond isn''t a workmanship issue....if you buy a diamond with a fracture or feather and you don''t ask about it/learn enough to make a smart purchase in advance, that''s not the responsibility of the store.

Diamonds are tough, but they aren''t invincible. That''s why there is insurance......to protect you in the event of loss. If you don''t have insurance on it, I''d say you''re out of luck.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Do you have renter''s or homeowner''s insurance? If so, you may be able to re-coup 1-1500.00 for the piece of jewelry even if you do not have the ring scheduled.

I would go back to the store and talk to the manager. The outright dismissal sounds like really poor customer service. It would seem they would be able to work something out. Also, have you had them clean it & inspect it recently?

solange

Brilliant_Rock
I had a similar situation occur several years ago. The point broke off my pear shaped engagement ring. It never occurred to me to bring the stone back to the vendor since I had worn it for a few years and felt that I had probably accidentally hit the stone.

I reported it to my insurance company and they first offered to pay to have the stone recut. I refused to accept that solution because the stone would be smaller and probably not well proportioned.

They then sent me to their jeweler but the stones he showed me were totally unacceptable and did not compare to the one I had. I refused several stones and the jeweler finally told the insurance company that he could not waste any more time with me since I was unwilling to accept the stones he showed me. They tried to pressure me to take one of his stones but I insisted on getting my money. I gave them the setting and the broken stone and I received the insured value.

Did you have your stone appraised before you purchased it. If it had a defect that would make it prone to breakage, it was up to the appraiser to point this out.

I hope you have insurance because, although there is no excuse for rudeness,your insurance policy usually covers loss or damage. This is what you are paying a premium for.

zac.carlson

Rough_Rock
Well, it is in the hands of my insurance company now. My agent hadn''t seen a claim like this in at least a few years so he was unclear to what extent it would be covered. However, he expected it to be covered to its full value.

Like I said, I would have never thought this would happen. While I know a diamond is not indesructible, I didn''t think it was possible to damage a diamond so severly unless it had suffered a large blow. No one set my expectation at the time of purchase as to what I can reasonably expect to occur throughout the life of the diamond. And maybe rightfully so, I''m sure the store does not want to scare off potential buyers with potential horror stories.

To some, thanks for your help, to others I think you''re a bit quick to jump down my throat because I was under the impression the retailer would and should replace the stone. I''m sure I''m not the first consumer to have this notion. If we slammed the ring in the car door, I would feel differently.

In any case, the store offered to cover my deductable and my insurance adjuster should get back to me by tomorrow.

Again, thanks for your help. Maybe I''ll be back when we start looking for a new diamond. Maybe we''ll upgrade....

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I sure hope this all works out well for you. Probably everyone here would hope for the same. This sort of thread is invaluabale to future consumers, so that they might better understand the pitfalls that surround the buying and ownership of precious stone jewelry.

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
Wow,

Based on what you have learnt I think you should keeping asking stores whether they''s replace the stone and go with the first honest onest one who says he can''t. If nothing else, at least they sell enough diamonds to know what to realistically expect, or they are smart enougth to learn...

Go to SI2, as well IMO, from a setters point of view clarity DEFINATELY does have an impact on fracturing. (This is not a case of natural cleavage points)

Make a positive out of this negative. Good luck!

Cheers

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think it unlikely the ring was damaged in the purse, but of course we do not know if the purse had something heavy dropped on it and a key did the damage etc?
Certainly though if the ring is is a 4 prong setting and your wife was on her way to work, she could well have damaged it on her finger, and not noticed as she pulled it off and placed it in the purse.

If you came into my store, my sales people would have assisted you in making an insurance claim through a specific policy or your regular household insurance. We would not cover the diamond for chipping damage. In my experiance that teaches people bad habits.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can't believe anyone would expect that a shop would replace it a year afterwards...I can understand a DAY maybe, in case it was missed when purchased....but not a year and not when it's not the store's doing. This is clearly where you are wrong. It's not the store's responsibility to replace something you damaged.

She should leave her ring at home when she's working... also get a loupe to inspect the new stone for damage periodically.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I think it is generous for Shane to cover your deductible. All in all, this will turn out okay for you from a financial perspective. I know the experience is lousy but we all go through things like this--the old cliche "live and learn" is frustrating but true.
20.gif
2.gif

Glad to hear that the situation seems to be resolving itself.
1.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Dave and Gary, what do you think about what I was told by an independent appraiser? She felt that 4 prongs were safer than 6. She said that most stone chips and fractures occur from hitting a prong on something and 4 prongs reduces that chance.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/27/2004 9:36:59 AM
Author:zac.carlson
Saturday night my fiance came home from work where she noticed her diamond was chipped. She is a nurse and does not typically wear her ring while working. She stores it in her purse while at work, with the only hard object being her keys. Apparently she noticed this chip while she was putting her ring back on when she was leaving.

Let me first decribe the diamond and ring:

0.70 carat Brilliant cut diamond, H I1 in a four prong platinum engagment ring.
Purchased 20 October 2003 from Shane Co Direct Diamond Importers

Sunday morning we went back to the store with their certified apprasial sheet that contains the warranty information. Because I never expected a diamond becoming chipped through normal wear, I was amazed when the rude sales person told me ''that''s what you have insurance for, hun.'' I expected the store to back their diamonds up and replace a chipped diamond with one of equal weight and quality. Already angry, I became more irritated when the sales person likened our diamond to her virtually unbreakable dishes. Needless to say we left the store frustrated and unsure what to do.
I decided to head to the local mall to check the policy at other jewelery stores. Of the three i went to, all of them would have replaced the diamond, no questions asked. I plan on calling around to a few more today.
This chip is large enough to easily notice without a loop, and has produced a crack into the center of the diamond rendering 1/3 of the diamond semi opaque.

Obviously, we want to replace the diamond. However, we feel the store should replace the stone. Are we out of line? Everyone I have talked to is appalled at the fact the store wont replace the diamond. What is the best way to handle this?

I appreciate any help you all can offer.

Hi ZAC

I would love to see your stone that broke. Examining it might reveal interesting data. Why did it chip so badly is the question that needs to be answered. I would like to examine any diamond that "broke" or was damaged for our research.

I would do this only for the shipping charge, and not charge you for our services.

PM me if you''re interested. We can also do a recut study on it as well.

Rockdoc

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Dave. I understand that if a prong breaks that the stone is more secure in 6 prongs than 4, but I was wondering about the theory that the impact of hitting the prong causes the chips. But if you say that most chips occur on the "unpronged" part of the stone, that theory doesn''t hold up.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Every diamond is different.... some are less durable than others.

Stone cleaving, breaking and chipping all happen for different reasons.....

Personally I prefer the 6 prong setting. Generally speaking the areas that CAN be most affected by a sharp blow can happen by a direct blow to the side of the diamond ( girdle ). With a four prong you have more exposed girdle than a six prong.

However, setting a area of the diamond that has a potential situation ( like a serious feather) under a prong can cause the prong to act like a wedge.

It depends on the force and direction of impact as it relates to the diamond''s clarity, and crytal structure.

It also depends on the pride in workmanship the setter does too. There are plenty of setters that do not have the knowledge to set diamonds properly. I see that all the time, which can also lead to problems.

It is really important to insure your diamond properly, and with a detailed enough appraisal, so the replacement will really be the same as what you had.

Rockdoc

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results