shape
carat
color
clarity

feeling ungrateful,but....

kellydean

Rough_Rock
my 25 year anniversary is this year and my very very understanding husband ( he thinks diamonds are basically silly) let me upgrade my wedding set. I have always wanted an emerald cut diamond so I now have a 3 carat beauty!! my problem is that the wedding band on the new set does not work as a stand alone band and I cannot wear a 3 carat diamond ALL the time (now really- you just can't hold your finger out of harms way all the time) so I want to get a plain band to wear alone. Or so I thought. I bought a plain band,not enough, returned it. I bought a band with a tiny yellow diamond in it, not enough, returned it. now I think I really,really want the Tiffany Etoile. Now the other problem I have is that the town I live in has no jewelry store with any options (all mall stores) so everything I get has been on line. Even the 3 carat emerald cut ( another story there for sure) so I want to order the Etoile and see it in person, and I also sooo want to be done with this diamond journey and I was thinking that the Etoile is the epotime of bands,lovely with just a little bling? I know I am obsessing, but with husband's patience window closing I need to choose NOW. all my friends just shake their head at me and say just wear you set or wear nothing. so I turn to PS for help from "ring people" As I type this I see how it sounds but.... what does anyone think?

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
I think the Etoile looks great on its own, as well as a set. I'm sure your husband wants you to be happy- um, he bought you a 3 carat diamond! You just need to figure out what will make you happy :)

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
I'll just contribute my support. :angel:
I think how you like rings to work together can be a journey of trial and error and changes over time.
When I decided on a warm AVC set in RG it took me down a path of adding several RG bands. I actually don't wear anything other than a RG & diamond Love bracelet all the time, and I honestly don't like bands next to my AVC, but I went on a mini spree collecting bands for my right hand that I think compliment my AVC (which I wear on my left - when I wear it.)
Take some time and consider your options. I love the Etoile! It's incredibly comfortable and looks great alone or stacked. (and the weight of the plat. is very pleasing.)

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
I completely empathize! Going bling-less is simply not an option.

Try the etoile (I assumed you mean the scattered diamond band?), It's so hard to tell from pictures how it will look. It might not be blingy enough. If you don't like it, perhaps a nice 1/2 channel set band would work. Here's and example from WF, but any PS vendor can make you one. http://www.whiteflash.com/wedding-rings/channel-set-diamond-wedding-ring-2383.htm
I have a channel set band I got on ebay that remains elegant in the roughest situations.
I've been dealing with a similar "not enough bling" situation and now I am looking in to a very small bezeled solitaire for rough daily wear.

You wouldn't wear a winter coat in the summer, or wear golf gear to a pool party. Sometimes smaller diamonds are the most appropriate jewellery choice.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a Tiffany Etoile inspired ring made by Brian Gavin Diamonds for me. It's identical, only a LOT less expensive. Maybe that route would make your hubby happy?

dollyanjuli

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

kellydean

Rough_Rock
dollanjuli... OMG that link you gave me was exactly what I wanted and such a GREAT deal!!! if only my size, I would have snatched it so fast!!! I'm a 5.5 and no sizing on those. it made me think about finding one somewhere besides Tiffany tho. however I will tell you a little story. my SIL and my stepdaughter an I were talking about diamonds and how WAY over priced Tiffany &CO were and how we would NEVER buy from them...etc.. and then in the next sentence they were talking about the very few "blue" boxes they have, bracelets and such, and how very much the blue box made their hearts go pitter patter!! (there IS something to be said for that!) well I think I need a "blue" box in my life, and I am of an age (ha ha) where this is most likely to be the last ring purchase i am ever involved in so I think I am just going to go for it and order the Etoile from Tiffany and be eager to get it!!!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Etoile is a great ring! I had one but sold it after I got my current wedding band from Tiffany's. It looks and feels very luxurious and while others may duplicate it, there is something quite special about the real thing. If that's what you want, go for it!!!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kellydean|1410977430|3752575 said:
dollanjuli... OMG that link you gave me was exactly what I wanted and such a GREAT deal!!! if only my size, I would have snatched it so fast!!! I'm a 5.5 and no sizing on those. it made me think about finding one somewhere besides Tiffany tho. however I will tell you a little story. my SIL and my stepdaughter an I were talking about diamonds and how WAY over priced Tiffany &CO were and how we would NEVER buy from them...etc.. and then in the next sentence they were talking about the very few "blue" boxes they have, bracelets and such, and how very much the blue box made their hearts go pitter patter!! (there IS something to be said for that!) well I think I need a "blue" box in my life, and I am of an age (ha ha) where this is most likely to be the last ring purchase i am ever involved in so I think I am just going to go for it and order the Etoile from Tiffany and be eager to get it!!!

I am in agreement with MGR here. There IS something special about owning a Tiffany ring.
I was very aware that I could have bought my Tiffany Fancy Yellow Diamond from DBL or Leibish for 1/3 or 1/2 of the price that I paid
at Tiffany, but I wanted just one blue box in my life too. And since they had to send the ring away to NY for sizing,
I have never taken the white bow off of my box either. It is not so much the actual box as it is what it represents.
There must be a reason why Tiffany jewelry is so often copied aka "inspired", etc.

I say go for it and enjoy every moment of it. You deserve it.
Congratulations on your 25 years too.

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don't understand why you're feeling pressured to commit to a band just yet. With all the emotion why not just wait and see how you feel in a few months and enjoy wearing the 3ct. In the meantime another pre-loved Tiffany may come along if that's really what you want.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually do understand the need for an alternate. There are times I prefer not to wear my 2.3 ct diamond, and I have a 5 stone diamond band (1 ctw) that I wear as an alternate.

I can totally relate to the Tiffany appeal. I do wear a Tiffany Legacy wedding band with my upgraded anniversary e-ring. I have several Tiffany pieces that I have bought second hand, but the Legacy band was bought new at Tiffany because I wanted it to be in perfect condition and for me be the one who puts the wear on it! Actually I take extremely good care of my jewelry, so I want it to start out in excellent condition!

So my vote is, for that particular band, I'd happily go buy it new unless you happened to see a like new one on ebay in your size. That occasionally happens because someone buys one for a wedding band and either change their mind about the ring or the guy before the wedding! :lol:

Oh, and please post a thread in Show Me the Bling and post pics of your new set!!! I really want an emerald cut myself if I can talk my hubby into a second diamond ring! :-o

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results