shape
carat
color
clarity

Feedback on radiant cut diamond... please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tat2db

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone! Wondering if there are any radiant educated posters who could give me their 2 cents on the following:
Cut Cornered Retangular Brilliant
9.86 x 8.79 x 4.38
3.02 ct.
Depth 49.6%
Table 74%
med. to slightly thick girdle
culet none
very good polish
good symmetry
SI1
G
med. blue flourecense
The stone is super sparkly and faces up very white but the numbers don''t seem to add up to a fine cut.
Any imput would be appreciated greatly!
Thanks!!!

tat2db

Shiny_Rock
The above mentioned radiant is GIA certified!
Thanks in advance for your imput!

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Please check all your numbers- there is one number which is slightly off. Did you copy them, or did you see the GIA report? It might be nothing....

But- if you''ve seen the dimaond and love it, that''s that. I don''t recall seeing a stone with such a depth- it must be a HUGE 3 carat.

If you''d like to let us know the price I could let you know how it sounds.

tat2db

Shiny_Rock
It is indeed a HUGE 3 carat. I have a copy of the gia and all of the numbers I posted are correct. Isn''t the depth way shallow? especially with such a large table. Is this a bad thing? What number seemed off to you?
The asking price is $25,581.
The stone scored terribly on the aga charts....
Lemme know what you think and thank you! thank you! for responding.

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/11/2005 9
6.gif
3:31 PM
Author:tat2db
Hi everyone! Wondering if there are any radiant educated posters who could give me their 2 cents on the following:
Cut Cornered Retangular Brilliant
9.86 x 8.79 x 4.38
3.02 ct.
Depth 49.6%
Table 74%
med. to slightly thick girdle
culet none
very good polish
good symmetry
SI1
G
med. blue flourecense
The stone is super sparkly and faces up very white but the numbers don''t seem to add up to a fine cut.
Any imput would be appreciated greatly!
Thanks!!!
You''re quite welcome!
Well, this might sound trivial, but if you divide 4.38/8.79, you get a depth ratio of 49.8%- unless my calculator is busted again......
IN cases of $25K diamonds I look at small details.
It sounds a fair price- I don''t think you could find a well cut stone with a more reasonable depth with w GIA rpeort G/SI1 for anywhere near 25K right now.

tat2db

Shiny_Rock
Yup. 49.8%. Which is what the GIA says after a look with my magnifying glass! All of the other numbers are correct. So is the diamond a not great cut? Any flaws I should be looking for given the shallow depth/large table? Since you have never seen a diamond with such a depth, should this be a red flag? I like the price tag but not enough to settle for a crappy cut.
Thanks a million!

tat2db

Shiny_Rock
Oh yeah.. and what about the hideous score on the charts? I am scared to plunk down that kind of $$$$$ after seeing that...even though the diamond looks great to my eyes... I don''t know if i can trust my eyes...I needed a magnifying glass to read the GIA correctly!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
the numbers probably vary because Ghave used actual mesurements combined with direct Sarin output. No big deal.

It is certaainly an unssla set of proportions and might appear dark to people with better eyesight.

In order to help you we need lts more info - a full sarin scan, make sure the crown angle is not tooooo =isk of ciing etc.
An ideal-scope pic our even your opinion would invaluable - it only costs $25.

Ultimately you might consider an independant appraiser - there is a list on the top left.

tat2db

Shiny_Rock
I do not understand what you are saying about the crown angle. Typo?
My opinion is... The diamond looks fabulous...there is a ton of sparkle and it is extremely big and white for a 3.02 G. The table is large and from the side the stone looks glassy.... is this bad? Is that undesireble? Or a mater of opinion? Does it mean the crown height is no good?
I will certainly get the ideal scope!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sorry - backup was happening and key board frooze - i dont look at the screen and type.

check it out with an appraiser - the crown angle might be a risk of chipping if it is too shallow - below 30 degrees with medium parts of the girdle etc

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is this the only radiant they offered you ? Was there any choice ? Did you get to compare this with a stone "well cut" in the traditional way ?

It sounds like you want to persuade yourself this is not too bad because of the price and spread... Hoping that the most brilliant radiant out there is not much better.
20.gif

This may or may not be the case.

If there is no way to show this stone online (Ideal Scope pictures or a 3D Sarin scan will "show" it)... there isn't much left to say as far as know.
34.gif

There are several 3 carat-ish G/SI radiants around 25k listed above....

tat2db

Shiny_Rock
yes-- I also noticed the 3cts listed (g SI1) for about 25k, I had seen , I thiink on Pricescope, that the prices are not updated often and are usually more.
No, this was the only radiant there was in this weight, color. It is in a setting so I cannot idealscope it, plus I have to return the ring tomorrow AM, I know the jeweler and she actually let me leave with it on good faith.
I think you got me---yes I am trying to convince myself it is a good deal b/c of the spread and price.... but the score on the aca charts were BAD!
Anyway-- I am going to at least show it to one other trusted jeweler I know today.....
Thanks!

tat2db

Shiny_Rock
Do you know of anywhere I can walk in and buy an idealscope? I am in Miami,FL.
Thanks!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/12/2005 8:4:53 AM
Author: tat2db
I thiink on Pricescope, that the prices are not updated often and are usually more.
Are you saying that sellers refuse to honor the prices listed !!!! ???
23.gif

At some point Leonid mentioned that the database is "refreshed" once every few days.

When I wrote the previous posts on this thread I could not access some links in the database - perhaps it was under works. Now it seems ok.

tat2db

Shiny_Rock
No I am not saying that, just that I read it. I have not contacted any of the vendors on pricescope...yet. It is great to know that the prices are refreshed.

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I haven''t had any excitement today, so here goes:
The IdealScope is WORSE than a waste of time - especially when it comes to looking at a Radiant Cut Diamond.
I looked at one of the nicest ones we''ve had a few months back, and well, it was a waste of time for me- becasue I know how to tell a well cut stone.
BUT- for someone not familiar with the cut of a diamond, leading them to believe that the little pink toy will help them to determine if the diamond is well cut is......well, doing them a disservice.

As far as price- IF there are any dealers with well cut 3ct Radiant cuts G/SI1 for $25K, well, that''s an amazing bargain today.
I don''t see it happening.
G/SI1 with 49.8 depth for this kind of price, sure.

Tat- If youlove the diamond, what''s the difference if I can tell you why NOT to buy it.
Yes, you can likely see some "windowing" if you look thru the sides of the diamond.
If that is no bother for you, then who cares what anyone else thinks.
I contend that the price of this diamond is making allowances for the cut, which will likely be classified as "not well cut"

if you can find a dealer to sell you a really well cut G/SI1 for 25K, then that would be the move. But I don''t think that''s going to happen.
You may be able to press the seller, and get them to lower the price even further due to the depth issue.

tat2db

Shiny_Rock
No, I did not order the ideal scope, I am not good with gadgets anyway!!
When I tilt the diamond I see what I think is a "fisheye"-- I am not sure but it is certainly something I cannot deal with. I will return the diamond tomorrow. Thank you so much for all of your imput---it is really appreciated!

tat2db

Shiny_Rock
Are radiants capable of having fisheye? Or is that only a shallow round stone affliction?
I can see it only indoors away from light when I tilt the ring...a round circle-ish shape darker in the center with a lighter outline...
Whaddya think?????

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
102fisha.JPG

Yes- a radiant CAN have a "Fish-eye"

I have mixed feelings here. On the one hand, I would not want to advise against buying a dimaond you love- but it''s also better if you know the potential down- side now0 instead of AFTER you purchase.
If you are not bothered by the look of the stone, that is important

tat2db

Shiny_Rock
I have already decided to pass on this stone... I am simply not "comfortable" with the numbers it has and now this circle/fisheye thing! Thanks for the pic and information... something else to look out for! I had no idea.....

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Let me ask you this- exactly how many radiants have you seen? Have you seen some superbly cut radiants? I think you should ... ten bucks says this one barks like a dog after see some well cut stones. I mean, is it even possible that this could be a decent stone experts? If I had to bet, I would say definitely not...but stranger things have happened...crop circles...stonehenge

oops- you posted before me. Good move.

tat2db

Shiny_Rock
more more more,
No I have not seen many at all. The stone has great spread and color,so it looks fabulous at first, and in certain light. But... when I really look at it, it seems hollow or glassy I don''t know how to describe it.Plus now this possible fisheye thing that i just noticed!!! I will try to post some pics later.
I definately agree that I need to look at many, many more stones and I will pass on this one. Thanks for the input!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results