shape
carat
color
clarity

Feedback on diamond before E-ring purchase! 2.3 carat round!

da9k1ne

Rough_Rock
Hi, i'm seeking some feedback on the diamond below before purchase. It seems like a great diamond to me, but I want to be sure it will have maximum sparkle! My 3 criteria are: MAX sparkle factor, eye clean, ideal cut.

https://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?pagename=GST%2FDispatcher&childpagename=GIA%2FPage%2FReportCheck&c=Page&cid=1355954554547&reportno=2161911926

Carat:2.30
Measurements:8.42 x 8.47 x 5.26 mm
Shape:Round
Symmetry:Excellent
Girdle:Thin to Slightly Thick
Culet:None
Fluorescence:Strong Blue
Cut:Ideal
Color:J
Clarity:VVS2
Length/width ratio:1.01
Depth:62.3%
Table:58.0%
Polish:Excellent
Crown Angle: 36 degrees
Crown Height: 15.5%
Pavilion Angle: 41.8 degrees
Pavilion Depth: 43.5%

I'm aware of the strong blue fluorescence and have been told it can make the j color look whiter. The diamond has no negative effects from this (cloudy, etc.)

Please let me know as I would like to purchase the diamond today or tomorrow if all checks out well! If any other information would be helpful, please let me know!

Thanks so much in advance!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Feedback on diamond before E-ring purchase! 2.3 carat ro

Have you seen this diamond in person? Have you compared it with others known to be of excellent cut such as the branded Hearts of Fire diamond? I do not expect this to be a sparkler, based on the cut parameters as listed. Look for diamonds within this range:

Total Depth between 59 – 61.8%
Table Diameter between 53 – 57.5%
Crown angle between 34.3 – 34.9 degrees
Pavilion angle between 40.6 – 40.9 degrees
Girdle thickness between 0.7% thin to slightly thick
Culet: GIA “none” or AGS “pointed”

da9k1ne

Rough_Rock

I have not seen the diamond in person, it's coming from an online retailer.

This is very good information to know. Thank you very much. Is there anything else I should look for that would lead one to believe the diamond will have maximum sparkle?

Any other opinions would be great as well!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You can use the HCA to narrow down the possibilities. Anything 2.0 or less is fine.
https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca

To make the final choice/decision, have the vendor send you a picture of the Idealscope result.

da9k1ne

Rough_Rock

That is a great tool. Thank you very much!

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade

It is also a good idea to explore fluorescence fully to make sure it is right for you - it is not a simple as just checking for milkiness. In most viewing environments the amount and/or intensity of UV wavelengths is insufficient to activate the fluorescence effect, therefore the benefit of color masking is a dubious one. Liquidity and long term value are usually considerations many people have when purchasing a diamond, so the impacts of fluorescence should be understood.

An overview of the factors to consider can be found here:
https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/diamond-flourescence

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That 36 crown angle is likely to be a problem. Stick within the measurements Chrono gave you. I allow maybe a point or two wider specs than she does, but those numbers are the safest zone to be in. It is a good idea to use those especially if you cannot access an idealscope or ASET image.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Texas Leaguer|1430757375|3871982 said:
It is also a good idea to explore fluorescence fully to make sure it is right for you - it is not a simple as just checking for milkiness. In most viewing environments the amount and/or intensity of UV wavelengths is insufficient to activate the fluorescence effect, therefore the benefit of color masking is a dubious one. Liquidity and long term value are usually considerations many people have when purchasing a diamond, so the impacts of fluorescence should be understood.

An overview of the factors to consider can be found here:
https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/diamond-flourescence

And to add to this - there is also the fact that the authority that assigned this fluor grade is the GIA, and the GIA seems to not-infrequently pick fluor classifications from a hat. If fluor is important to you have a trusted and experienced pair of eyes (your vendor, an independent appraiser) validate that it is actually SBF by any sane metric.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results