shape
carat
color
clarity

Feather?? Effect on appearance/structure??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
I found this one and am curious about expert opinions on the effect the feather in this diamond might have on appearance and/or structural integrity. I don't recall reading much about feathers.

"Round brilliant cut DIAMOND that weighs 1.37 carats, by scale. The color is "J", in the near colorless range, and it was confirmed by a color grading machine (Gran Colorimeter). The clarity is "I1" and the inclusions are very difficult to see with the unaided eye. This diamond is well cut and it exhibits good brilliance, dispersion and scintillation.

WE HAVE COVERED UP PART OF THE ONLY SIGNIFICANT INCLUSION (A FEATHER) WITH ONE OF THE PRONGS TO MAKE IT EVEN LESS VISIBLE; YOU CAN BARELY SEE IT EXTENTING FROM THE LOWER LEFT PRONG IN THE PICTURE ON THE RIGHT. PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THAT THIS PICTURE HAS BEEN ENLARGED ABOUT TWENTY TIMES, AND THAT THE FEATHER WILL BE MUCH HARDER TO SEE WITH THE UNAIDED EYE.

Here are some approximate measurements: Average diameter: 6.97 mm. Table size: 62.8%. Total depth: 4.47 mm. Total depth percentage 64.1%. The symmetry and polish are good and the culet is very small (good). The girdle is medium to slightly thick and faceted (good)."
read.gif

1.37J I1 Top.jpg

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
I'm thinking that the inclusions will be easily visible to the nekkid eye. In that sense the feather will have a noticeable effect on the stone's appearance. This 2B/3A cut is generously described as "well cut" which makes me think the I1 grade may be generous as well.

As for the durability due to the feather, it's anyone's guess. You need to take it to an experienced pro to get his opinion, and then it would be an educated guess! My UNeducated guess is that it would not be a problem.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Your "uneducated guess", and a comment in another post, made me wonder how you guys were speculating on the Cut Class. I went to the cut pricing chart to guesstimate a price for this diamond. That got me to question what are the criteria to determine Cut Class. And then,.... Ah Ha! Watson,I found it! I remembered seeing a chart in the Tutorial with a whole bunch of numbers, that at the time were really meaningless to a Infomaniac on overload. So, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You! Rank Amateur! You jogged my brain. Now I can use that information in evaluating certs.

I also realized that I hadn't asked,.... What is a feather? What causes it? Composition? Technical info?

I'm getting better! Thar be power in knowledge!
read.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results