shape
carat
color
clarity

favorite cleaning method for less-open settings?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know there are a bazillion threads on cleaners, ultrasonics, etc. but what is the latest and greatest preferred method for cleaning diamonds? My ering is the Legato head and it doesn''t expose much of the underside of the diamond, so it''s hard to scrub it with a baby toothbrush. I have an ultrasonic, but don''t want to use that every day.

What''s the best soak method? Windex? Store-bought jewelry cleaner? Ammonia and water?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why the hesitancy of using the US everyday?

I just soak my jewellery in the cleaning liquid that Wink gave me while taking a bath. When I''m done, I rinse it and scrub with a toothbrush. A quick spray with pressurized air will get it dry without water marks.

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use the US weekly, but would like to be able to do a quick soak every morning and just wondered what the best solution was for getting the underside of the stone clean.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the setting is platinum, then an ammonia mix is great. If it is gold, I''d stick to a jewellery cleaning liquid that is safe for gold. Ammonia can "eat" into gold, so it isn''t recommended.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
An ultrasonic is fine for frequent use for this type of setting and is probably best to "dislodge" gunk.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/30/2007 3:39:17 PM
Author: kcoursolle
An ultrasonic is fine for frequent use for this type of setting and is probably best to ''dislodge'' gunk.

Agreed. Can''t you just throw it in the US when you hop into the shower?

dunndeal

Rough_Rock
Hi Katiedid,

The US is the best for tough jobs and can be used as often as you like. There is also another type of cleaner on the market called an ionic cleaner. It does a great job for "light work" on closed settings. It is smaller and quieter than a US. You put your ring on the metal wire and push the button and you can see tiny bubbles forming and fizzing out from the metal of your ring. The process usually takes a minute or so. I hope this helps.

All the best

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I usually clean my ering and my eternity band together, and I wouldn''t want to clean them in the US every day--I wouldn''t think that would be good for the shared prong eternity band. They are platinum, so maybe the ammonia and water mix would be good, then I could use the US once a week. What mix of ammonia and water should I use?

Another issue with the US is that I use clean solution every time (I use Mr. Clean and water) so I''d have to make up the solution every day. I don''t have a good place to sit the US either so I move it from one place to my bathroom counter. Kindof a pain...

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I have a half bezel setting with micropave on the shank. I use the ultrasonic weekly. Daily I use the little travel size gel Connoisseurs cleaner with the tiny brush that gets in hard to reach places. It works great.

Conngelclean.jpg

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
forgot to say thanks to everyone who has replied so far!

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I need to pick up some of the Connoisseurs. I had some at one time, ran out (well, I throw these out after they start looking a little cloudy) and bought some Maguires. It''s fine, but it''s time to get a new jar, so I''ll look for the Connoisseurs. I used to see that brand everywhere--now it seems all the stores are using a brand and putting their own name and label on it, so you don''t know what you''re getting...

My US has the metal dipping area on the inside and it says not to use ammonia based cleaners. I''ve been using Mr. Clean but I don''t think it''s as good as ammonia. Is there really a reason not to use an ammonia mix? (it''s a GemOro sparkle spa) And all I have is lemon ammonia. Is that the same as regular or does it have some kind of detergent in it?

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use the Connoisseurs but not an US. I am having trouble getting the pavillion clean in certain spots. I thought that an US was a big NO NO with pave. I have also used the steamer on my coffee machine and it almost gets that gunk out.

So maybe Connoisseurs and a steamer?

HTH

SpldRotten

Rough_Rock
I'm always bringing all of my jewelry to the neighborhood jeweler to get it 'steam cleaned'. I’d love to be able to use something at home, and have heard you ladies frequently refer to the US. Can anyone recommend a specific US cleaner? Is it safe for all stones (I’ve got jewelry with diamonds, citrines, topaz and aquamarines)? Thanx

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/30/2007 7:26:16 PM
Author: Sundial
I have a half bezel setting with micropave on the shank. I use the ultrasonic weekly. Daily I use the little travel size gel Connoisseurs cleaner with the tiny brush that gets in hard to reach places. It works great.
Sundial: I love the Connoisseurs travel cleaner with the brush!

I just found a new jewelery cleaner I had never heard of before. I bought it at the Orange County Fair this weekend. It's called Elva's Jewel Joy and they only sell at county fairs and online. Apparently they have quite a following of people that come back to the fair every year and stock up. It has no ammonia and they claim it's safe for pearls and soft gem stones. Anyway, this stuff works great too! I bought a big bottle of it for $21 at the fair and poured it into my US. All I can say is that stuff is fantastic! It's now my new favorite!

ETA: I have the GemOro 1 pint US and a Jewel Jet steamer.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results