shape
carat
color
clarity

fancy light yellow

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cjmell

Rough_Rock
HI all... Looking for some help with a fancy light yellow. I figured it would be a nice change for an engagement ring. The diamond I am considering is a 2.66 fancy light, with even distribution. It has a clarity of VVS2 (which I know is less important in a fancy yellow) The diamond is very fiery and has a truly light yellow tone. It is a natural yellow which was important, but it doesnt have that deep yellow that many have told me makes the diamond more valuable. I coudl really use some help with any knowledge you may have concerning fancy LIGHT yellows. I am looking to spend 15000 for the diamond. I am getting a good deal on the setting which would be 2 e color trillions in platt. I am just so concerned after reading other entries on this site that the fancy light may not be worth this price... It does seem to be a really nice diamond but I really need to be sure I am paying what it is worth... I hate to go to a dealer and walk out knowing they took advantage of me. Maybe you can help??? I would greatly appreciate your input... thanks

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Fancy Light Yellow stones are not as rare, and therefore not as "valuable" as the deeper Fancy, Fancy Intense, and Fancy Vivid grades.

If you truly like the color of the Fancy Light stone (and they can be really beautiful), then you should get it and enjoy it. If you seek a fancy Light becasue you want something exotic and rare, you'll achieve a bit of that too, as most people have white diamonds in their rings. However, among fancy yellow diamonds, the Light variety are the most common.

As for the price for the stone you are looking at currently, I don't know enough about that to comment on it.

DiamondsbyLauren is a well-known dealer specializing in Fancy yellows, particulary Fancy Light Yellows. Check them out.
1.gif

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
Take a look at a fancy intense and a fancy vivid next to your fancy light and then compare prices...that should tell you what you like best and if you can afford it.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 9/13/2004 8:48:24 PM DiamondExpert wrote:

Take a look at a fancy intense and a fancy vivid next to your fancy light and then compare prices...that should tell you what you like best and if you can afford it.

----------------

Good advice. That's exactly how I learned what I wanted. I went to the Diamond District in NYC and looked at all grades next to eachother and I knew in my heart what I really wanted was a Fancy or Fancy Intense, neither of which I could afford at the time. My mental image of what the Fancy Light yellows looked like was a lot different than what they looked like in person.

It is a personal decision and preference--fancy light yellows can be stunning--but before you make a big investment and plunk down serious cash, check out the different grades and see what makes you happy.
1.gif

cjmell

Rough_Rock
thats actually a great idea.. .thank you... I have seen some intense and vivid yellows.. they are very nice... I guess I really have to see it set then my gut insitinct will take over. such a hard decision... thanks again for your time... this is a great site.

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
HI Everyone!

I would say that trying to compare at a retail jeweler might be misleading.
It's tough to find anyplace with a good selection. 47th street in NYC has a lot of bad sellers- that can be a problem.

The grades are not nearly as well defined as in colorless stones- therefore, a dark fancy light yellow may very well be darker than a lighter Fancy Yellow.

Then the ring must be considered- the setting will have a huge impact on the final appearance of the diamond. If one looks at a loose GIA graded diamond graded of Fancy Light Yellow, it will likely look washed out compared to a properly set Fancy Light.
A good deal on a ring not specifically made for the particular yellow diamond you're buying may or may not be a "good deal". Buy the best diamond in the world and put it in a poorly done ring and it won't look good- this is particularly true with yellow diamonds.

Comparison plays a huge role too- However I don't neccesarily agree that's the best way to shop.
Look at the grades the best you can to try to decide what you like- but I don't think a Fancy Light Yellow shopper should look at the darker grades on the day they want to pick out a Fancy Light Yellow. Generally, if someone looks at a fancy vivid first, then looks at a fancy light, it will look like a D.

A strong color, well cut Fancy Light Yellow satisfies quite a few buyers looking for a yellow diamond.
A weak colored, badly cut Fancy Light Yellow can be pretty bad.

Chris, I probably deal with these stones as much as anyone- what type of help did you need, or questions did you have?

fancycoloredfan

Rough_Rock
hi chris,

I love all fancy colored diamonds - have you considered looking at a gemesis (cultured) diamond?

-ariana

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Chris-
You had asked a similar question last week- my response to you asked some specific questions.
Here's what I asked you about the diamond you had questions about:

Regarding particulars:
7.75 x 7.19 makes it sound like the diamond is quite deep.
I used a 2.83 for comparison.
It measures 8.92 x 7.13 x 4.90- this would be quite a bit larger in visual size for less than a .20 difference in weight.

The price you have mentioned- $15k- is that for a loose diamond?

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Indeed, the NYC DD can be dicey. David, would you agree that if the stones have GIA certs, that serves as some measure of reliability/consistency?
And cert or not, the eye of the beholder will evetually signal the brain as to what shade of hue is desired, regardless of official color grade?
2.gif

I may still end up seeking a yellow some day and am always looking to increase my understanding.
1.gif

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 9/14/2004 6:08:21 PM Jennifer5973 wrote:

Indeed, the NYC DD can be dicey. David, would you agree that if the stones have GIA certs, that serves as some measure of reliability/consistency?
And cert or not, the eye of the beholder will evetually signal the brain as to what shade of hue is desired, regardless of official color grade?
2.gif

I may still end up seeking a yellow some day and am always looking to increase my understanding.
1.gif

----------------

206f.JPG

Hi Jennifer!
GIA reports are absolutely essential- yet they only offer a foundation, or starting point.
The two stones above got the same color grade from GIA.
I consider the one on the right to be among the deepest Vivid Yellow's I've seen- while the stone on the left is one of the lightest Vivids I've seen.

If we imagine the color scale to be linear, the distance between D and E would be 1 inch.
The range between Fancy LIght Yellow and Fancy Yellow would be one foot.
That's why two stones can have the same GIA color grade, and yet look different.

Then there's flourescnece- which besides being a beeatch to spell, can have different effects on different stones.
Sometimes, a Fancy Yellow with fl can look like an intense in room lighting.
Other times it can cause a milkyness which is not desirable.

In terms of cut there are many different aspects which would not come into play when judging colorless diamonds.

Referring to the photo again: THe deeper colored stone is 2.06, while the other larger stone is 2.39. Yet in terms of visual size, the 2.39 looks like it's larger by a greater margin.
That's because the larger looking stone is 56% depth, while the 2.06 is 67%.
Both numbers are acceptable- but it's likely that the extra depth helps the 2.06 vivid's shade.

206a.JPG

Of course different things are important when judging Fancy Light Yellows- here, the ultimate sparkle takes precidence- well cut Light Yellow Radiant Cut diamonds have a sparkle all thier own.

239b.JPG

Back to the comparison photo:
The 2.39 is a VS1, the 2.06 has a "color origin" report, so GIA did not give a clarity- but I called the stone an SI2.
Both are Fancy Vivid Yellow, Even.

Which one is worth more/ more desirable?

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Wow--of course I would say the stone on the right in the first pic...Seems as though cut is again a critical factor, although deeper may accentuate fancies and be more desireable...? Thanks for the detailed explanation/photo anaylsis. I am sure this helped the orignal poster as well!

PS I did recommend you right off the bat for this genre....I must know something.
2.gif

cjmell

Rough_Rock
this is an amazing convo... very helpful.. thanks again... the price is for the loose diamond. I am flanking it with 2 trillions .. total weight .68... d color hoping the contrast will intensify my light yellow. It is set in plat with gold crown surrounding the diamond. speaking of depth, the diamond has a depth of 68.2% table of 66% no florecence. the diamond has exstra facets as well as noted on the GIA cert. You have been very helpful.. and I def understand that each diamond is very different even if the color grade is fancy light or fany intense. I have actually seen fancy intense that seem too dark, kinda incorporating a secondary orange, green or brown. not too nice to me... the diamond does flash... I wanted to explore on line diamonds, but as noted, each is soooo different, I felt it would be difficult to make a final choice without actually seeing the diamond...

I have been told that yellows are sometimes deeper and hold a lot of the c wieght in the bottom, thus the yellow color, which may make the diamond appear smaller considering the carat weight. I have also been told by a few dealers that setting the diamond in the gold with the whiter trillions will make the color of the diamond appear darker... I feel you have so much knowledge with fancy yellows... is this correct? My deepest fear is buying, having it set and beeing dissapointed in the look of the diamond. Right now the most important thing is getting a good value... and loving the diamond. I truly feel she will love whatever I give her, but I want to be proud of it as well

cjmell

Rough_Rock
i was also wondering if the price is really out there... like exptremely high for a light yellow... even if it is fiery... NYC diamond district makes me VERY nervous. I am looking at a total of 17000 including the setting with .68 d color vs1 trillions. I was actually VERY surprised that their wasnt a better selection in NY . the whites were even worse.. large ugly bow ties .. no sparkle...I thought this would be a fun thing... very interesting but kinda stressful... thanks again for everyones response

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Chris,
Basically, the point of this all is that it is not possible to give advice having never sen the diamond.
In addition, there's absolutely nothing for us to look at - for example:
Digital photos of the stone or even a photocopy of the GIA report- this to make sure that the diamond does in fact have a valid GIA report.

Sorry to be so skeptical- but remember, I walk down 47th Street every day - I see what goes on which makes me very cautious.

IF is is in fact GIA and IF it's well cut and IF it's desirable, and IF the ring is properly done- then the price is not unreasonable- but there's quite a few IF's.

I'm not surprised at the paucity of selection- it's very difficult to find any supply of stones like this today.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results