shape
carat
color
clarity

F vs. G

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

VuittonGal

Shiny_Rock
I know it has a lot to do with personal preference, but what are your thoughts on an F-colored diamond vs. a G? Is there a big enough difference between these two colors to fork over the money for the F instead? Would a G look yellow to the common person?????? Thanks!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i think it has more to do with cut than personal preference. i have seen well cut stones of lower color that face up as white as colorless stones. get a well cut ''g'' and you will be very happy
1.gif

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/27/2005 2:08:12 PM
Author:VuittonGal
Would a G look yellow to the common person??????
The short answer is NO. A G is the highest near-colorless grade, and to most people will face up pretty darn white. You have to see for yourself in person--a well cut G will obviously be even whiter than a more average cut. Some people might see a little more warmth, but definitely not yellow.

JD_MD

Rough_Rock
I agree with the previous posts. An ideal cut G color will blow away any average cut F color diamond. Not only will the color difference be absolutely undetectable face up, but the ideal cut will give you a much better sparkle...which is what makes a diamond beautiful anyways!

If you have a set amount that you wish to spend - always, always get the best cut first, then decide on your color tolerance and finally clarity. For most people...clarity is the least important factor assuming that the inclusions are not visible to the unaided eye when mounted.

laney

Brilliant_Rock
Well,

When I first looked at stones... F vs G didn''t matter to me. I really couldn''t see it face up. My husband could - and said he definately wanted to get a "F". (I didn''t complain).

Now - after wearing an F for a year and a half.. I went to look at stones last week.. F''s and G / H''s... Well, face up - it''s still hard to tell, but I can now.. from the side... when two stones are side by side. I can tell a little in an H stone.

Not enough that I''d say no to it though. Just that I had an F and I now can "see" a different color.

However - I will say, when I look at my friends rings - (most don''t know what they have) I honestly am not looking at the color per se. I just notice the performance.. it they are sparkely or not..

Rockingout

Rough_Rock
I have an H in a ags-0 cut and I cannot see any hint of yellow. So get a killer cut and go as low as you can in color if you want to save some money. There is a big thread around here that has K and J color diamonds and they look face up white as can be. This thread should teach people the importance of cut. It is critical!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Even *I* wouldn''t call a G yellow by any stretch. If ALL things were equal, and the stones were equally well cut and beautiful, and it was in my budget, I would go for the F. But that''s just me. I was looking at my three stone cushion at lunch. The center is a 2.13 E. One side is a .51 F . The other is a .51G . I can almost never tell them apart. Today , I noticed how one wasn''t as "blinding" white. But that was only in one lighting condition...and it may have been in my head. If there is a great G out there that''s bigger than any Fs I can afford, I''d go G without a doubt!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
My new ring has an ideal cut "F" and my old diamond was just a good cut "G" and I cannot tell the slightest difference in color between the two. I think it is the rare person who is that color sensitive.

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Hi & welcome to Pricescope!

A well cut G should not appear "yellow" by any means. There are many threads giving testimonials on stones up to K facing up very white. That is the key phrase "face up."

Stones are graded face down. I have heard that even trained eyes often have difficulty discerning the color difference "face up" between colors that close. Now when you are talking about the common person, I don't think they will be able to tell the difference either. The key thing in a diamond is its sparkle factor, which is determined by cut.

I once compared my G to an F side by side. i saw no difference. Most typical situations will not lend itself to always looking at your stone next to another. I was able to pick out an H from the F, but that is two color grades apart, and they were loose, side by side. Again, a different situation.

Once mounted, I doubt you will see any difference, providing it is a well cut stone.
Buying a diamond can be grueling, but asking questions, doing research and comparing for yourself will allow you to make an educated decision that you will be happy with.

Good luck with your decision & keep us posted.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Mam always did say I was *special* sundial
9.gif

carrot

Rough_Rock
Every step up in color grade makes a diamond more valuable. An F will be more transparent than a G because it has less body color and greater transparency, and its greater desireability is reflected by the greated price it commands. The same can be said about an E over an F and a D over an E.

The average diamond buyer knows little or nothing about cut quality or color. Make it a point to notice the diamonds you see people wearing in public. Then notice how few of them are worth noticing! The reason is that most of those buyers made size a priority when they chose their diamond. If you doubt this, when you visit jewelry stores in the future, ask the sales person what the average diamond buyer wants most and see what they tell you!

Personally, I would not sacrifice color (or cut quality) just to buy a bigger diamond; a colorless stone is the ideal foundation on which to build an excellent cut. The point is not whether a well cut G looks better than a poorly cut F, but rather that a well cut F looks better than a well cut G. A colorless stone and high quality cut work together to produce a memorable diamond.

But in the end, the most important opinion on this subject is yours.

Visit a jeweler large enough to inventory loose diamonds and look at stones in all the color grades from D to G under white light. This should let you see what you are paying for in a colorless stone and give you an idea about the magnitude of the improvement between each color grade. If you can''t see the difference or don''t appreciate it, don''t pay for it.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
You ARE special moremoremore and so is that magnificent three stone cushion ring of yours whatever the color of the stones!!!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Awww shucks Sundial :) They should have a blushing icon :) you're too sweet!

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/27/2005 9:02:36 PM
Author: carrot
An F will be more transparent than a G because it has less body color and greater transparency, and its greater desireability is reflected by the greated price it commands. The same can be said about an E over an F and a D over an E.

I'm not sure this is true. The color of a diamond has nothing to do with how "transparent" it is. An F and a G color diamond with the same clarity grade will be equally "transparent."
Fancy colored diamonds are no less clear than colorless stones -- that's a clarity issue. Just wanted to clarify (pardon the pun).

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
ditto! what the heck does color have to do with transp'cy ...Love the doggie btw :)

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
thanks for the compliment MMM. His name is Howard and he''s a big, sweet baby.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I love him more now that I know his name is Howard. That's awesome.
emdog.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results