shape
carat
color
clarity

Eyeclean vs "Individual Character"...with a little levity

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Defender

Shiny_Rock
I guess it really comes down to the mind clean quote that we see around here...huh?

For those of you with inclusions, how many people have really looked at your SI1 or SI2 close enough to see the inclusion? How many people know that you are wearing an VVS1 when compared to the lady across the room with an SI1

On one hand perfection is very important, but a bit of individual character can be alluring too.

I am struck that Cindy Crawford's mole would make her an I2, but she is a famous model and she is admired and desired by many people..!!

So, do some of you think of your inclusions as beauty marks???

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2006 3:08:00 PM
Author:Defender
I guess it really comes down to the mind clean quote that we see around here...huh?

For those of you with inclusions, how many people have really looked at your SI1 or SI2 close enough to see the inclusion? How many people know that you are wearing an VVS1 when compared to the lady across the room with an SI1

On one hand perfection is very important, but a bit of individual character can be alluring too.

I am struck that Cindy Crawford's mole would make her an I2, but she is a famous model and she is admired and desired by many people..!!

with a good 'eye clean' si stone you will NOT be able to see the inclusion(s) with your unaided eye. sometimes the si inclusions can be hard to spot even under a loupe. personally, i like having a small inclusion that i can see with a loupe. with a quick check, i can be sure that i have MY one and only unique diamond and the little tiny spec proves it so...even though no one else will ever see it.
2.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no problem with an eye visible inclusion as long as it doesn''t stick out like a sore thumb and is unobtrusive to the casual observer. To me it adds character and reminds me that it is a natural gemstone. This is why I love a good I1! With my diamond you have to know where to look to see it and which light also, no one has ever remarked on it and I am sure wouldn''t notice it. All they see is size and sparkle.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2006 3:08:00 PM
Author:Defender
I am struck that Cindy Crawford''s mole would make her an I2, but she is a famous model and she is admired and desired by many people..!!

That got a LOL from me. That was funny.

My stone is a VS2. I also had an SI1 before this. I like to think of them as beauty marks that aren''t visible to anyone without a loupe.
9.gif
I don''t like to see them on a regular basis, no offense to Cindy.
2.gif

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
my stone is si1 and the inclusion is only visible from the side if you look really close. no one has ever noticed it (and my setting exposed the entire stone) and i dont see it unless i look for it. when i got the stone the jeweler said it was a "garnet" inclusion so it was like a gemstone within a gemstone, cool! i will always know "my" stone and it helps if i ever wondered if it was switched i would just have to look for the inclusion.

it doesnt bother me, and the si allowed me a bigger stone for the buck. im not perfect...why should my diamond be? LOL

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I could make an exception for a garnet inclusion - that is wickedly cool!

LBug75

Shiny_Rock
I agree with Belle. My stone is an SI1 and it''s nice, at least for me to have something I can recognize in the stone, like a birthmark so that when I take it to a jeweler for anything I can look at it and know for sure that it is mine.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Since I have a large SI stone, I can see the inclusions unaided w/ certain tilting, non corrective lenses, etc. It''s a garnet (mistakenly called a "carbon spot"). It doesn''t bother me in the least. Clarity starts to bug me when it gets all mucky and gucky or if it threatens the stability of the stone.

But, to each his own! Perfection bugs the crap out of me!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would never pay for perfection..as in F or IF!!! But my preference is to get an ideal cut stone with balance between color, clarity, and carat weight. I would not get a high color and SI2, for example. I''d get near colorless and VS, preferably, to give me a relatively high quality diamond overall without paying for the upper tier of D-F and IF-VVS. However, since I am having trouble finding my target of G-H VS1, I would go up a grade in clarity rather than down if I have to compromise.

The inclusion in my current SI2 is not a beauty mark to me. It is natural and shows that it is a real diamond. But it is not pleasing to me.

The way I look at it is there are plenty of diamonds out there that need a good home!
2.gif
I am so glad someone takes the I''s as well as the IF''s!! And there are many of us in between who will take the VVS''s through SI2''s. There''s something for everyone''s preference and budget!

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/28/2006 12:47:57 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
The way I look at it is there are plenty of diamonds out there that need a good home!
2.gif
I am so glad someone takes the I''s as well as the IF''s!! And there are many of us in between who will take the VVS''s through SI2''s. There''s something for everyone''s preference and budget!

There you go!

I like your attitude! I fear I am a perfection seeker.
When I upgraded, I only gained 20 points and that was PLENTY for me.
But, in clarity I went from I1 to SI1 and in color I went from J to G.

I could easily uipgrade again in a few years, going up another 15-20 points in size, but higher color and clarity again.

You are right, everybody has differnt preferences...

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn''t want to pay for the better clarity if the stone is eye clean with a lower clarity. I have an I/SI2 cushion, and it only has 3 small twinning wisps in the stone. I cannot see them without magnification. I like having them there because I will always be able to identify the stone. No one would ever be able to tell the difference between my stone and a VVS if it''s on my hand. The color you can see is lower, but I like lower colors (also cheaper!), and it makes my cushion look like an older stone.

(I have a mole too, and in almost the same place as Cindy''s!)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results