shape
carat
color
clarity

Expert opinions on round brilliant diamond please!

odd_shot

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone

I think I have (finally) found my perfect round brilliant diamond!

Before I make the plunge I would love to have any of your comments.

The GIA number is 2156627452.

It is exactly 1.00 carat, G colour, SI1 (I can't even see anything with 10x magnification!) and very good cut. The only thing is, is that it has strong blue fluorescence. I have read a bit on here that fluorescence really isn't a big deal - some people rate it and others don't. It didn't bother me (under shop lighting and day light).

I have tried it in the HCA cut advisor and it seems to come out as 1.4 'excellent' (although I don't entirely trust that I did the measurements etc correctly.

I am very new to this whole diamond game and so any feedback is greatly appreciated. Also, any feedback on what price you would consider a ring like this should sell for. We are in the process of negotiations but we are sitting around the 10K mark (New Zealand dollars).

Thanks in advance!

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Here are the numbers on your stone per GIA:

Depth 61.1 %
Table 58 %
Crown Angle 35.5°
Crown Height 15.0%
Pavilion Angle 40.6°
Pavilion Depth 42.5%
Star Length 55%
Lower Half 80%

While the table and Crown Angle fall just outside the parameters most PSers are going to love, the 1.4 HCA does give you a jumping off point for further investigation. So - what does further investigation mean for the consumer? Essentially, you will not find a strong PriceScope endorsement for the diamond without a light performance evaluation which is done through an IdealScope or (preferably) an ASET of the stone. If you are looking from an internet vendor many will provide these - if it is a brick and mortar store you can ask them for these photos and they may or may not be able to provide them.

Many consumers here on PS will tell you they would not buy a MRB without these images.

Why is the IS or ASET needed you may ask? It tells us things the grading report cannot. The PERCEIVED Color, Clarity and Carat weight of a diamond can all be enhanced by great light performance (determined by cut) - this IdealScope reference chart should help demonstrate that:

using_is_reference_chart_72.jpg

Here is a comprehensive article on why you need to see more than the grading report can tell you:

http://www.pricescope.com/journal/laboratory_cut_grades_what_report_doesn’t_show

Here is a little more about fluorescence:

http://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/diamond-flourescence

The proportions and HCA indicate this could be a great performing stone. If you can secure an ASET or IS of the diamond you can post those images here and there are many who will help you interpret them.

All best!

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Odd Shot,
Diamon Hawk set you on the right path with information. I will just add a few comments.

You have seen the diamond and you seem to be excited about it. That is what really counts in the final analysis.

However, you will not get ringing endorsements for your choice on this forum. The mantra here is Cut is King. Even GIA Triple Ex diamonds do not pass muster in many cases. As a VG cut you are giving up something important in the way of light performance in the tradeoffs on this diamond.

The fluorescence issue is complicated as well. As you state, some people do like this effect. The market does not. It seems you are ok with it. You should make sure that if the diamond is for someone else, that they like it. Make sure the fluorescence does not affect transparency by making the stone look milky. This can be a subtle effect and hard to detect without a trained eye, and since you indicated that you could not see the crystal (the grade setting inclusion) in this Si1 stone, you may need help in determining this factor as well.

The above cautionary advice is not to say this is not a good diamond for you. But I would say that you are indeed in a good position to negotiate on this diamond. It has alot of "talking points" about it. (the large extra facet is also one of them). Do not be afraid to make what you think is a very low offer to the merchant. He just might take it!

With all that is going on, I would strongly advise you get an independent evaluation by a credentialled diamond professional before you are locked in. Someone not connected with the sale.

diamondgezer

Rough_Rock
The diamond cut grade is only very good. The probable reason for this, given that the cut proportions likely fall within the excellent range, is that it's symmetry is only 'good'. (GIA cut grade can only be 1 grade higher than the lower of symmetry and polish grades)

Hopefully an expert will come along and comment on whether a symmetry grade of 'good' is likely to have any visible detrimental effects.

Perhaps this is linked to the clarity characteristic 'extra facet'??? but given these facts, the experts here are, as Diamond Hawk says, most certainly going to want to see images of the diamond before they can make specific comment.

Edit:

I see TL has come along and given some further commentary

I think he saved the best for last (paragraph)

With all that is going on, I would strongly advise you get an independent evaluation by a credentialled diamond professional before you are locked in. Someone not connected with the sale.

odd_shot

Rough_Rock
Thank you all very much for your valuable input. I am going back to see it again this afternoon so I will make sure I ask for a light performance evaluation and have a look to see if I can see any sign of milkiness. That said, I am feeling pretty confident about this stone!

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock
Hi OP, lots of good thoughts to consider already given. Since you are going to look at the stone in the store, just remember jewelry store lighting is there to make everything look super good. So take the stone around to different lighting, cupping your hand around it to shield it from direct light, go in a dark closet and halfway close the door (or go under a desk). Ask to take it outside with the vendor and look at it under a leafy tree, have your back to the sun shading the diamond...as many lighting conditions you can to see how it performs. Have fun too! Please post your feedback.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results