shape
carat
color
clarity

european cut diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fair1958

Rough_Rock
I am looking at a ring for my wife, it has three euro cut diamonds and the girdle sides are rough not polished. My wife loves the ring but I''m concerned about the quality and/or age of the rocks. Does anyone have knowledge for this? there is a gemologist report with the ring which of course is favorable and does not mention the sides being rough. Does this matter with older stones? I''m not knowledgeable on old miner or euro cuts.

Stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
even some modern round brilliant do not have polished girdle, so nothing to worry about.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I think it sounds like a gorgeous ring and would not worry. if you want to post the stats from the gemologist rpt and/or photos of the ring you''ll get helpful feedback.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Antique diamonds typically don't have polished girdles and this is completely normal. As with any jewelry purchase, it would be a good idea to make the sale contingent on an independent appraisal (using an appraiser of YOUR choosing) so that you can carefully inspect the piece and assess its value. One thing in particular to look for with antique stones is girdle chips (well, any kind of chips, of course, but the girdles are particularly prone to chipping) - not always problematic if they are there, but should be evaluated by a professional and can impact price.

Good luck!

fair1958

Rough_Rock
Thanks to everyone for all of the feedback, this site is terrific and the knowledge is endless. I will have someone evaluate it, after one year of searching this ring has definetely caught her fancy and is speaking to her, I did see two stones have slight damage and we will see. Again, you guys & gals are great!
10.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results