shape
carat
color
clarity

Eternity vs. non-eternity bands

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
Could you please give me the pros/cons and your opinions of eternity bands? I''m in the process of having my ring designed and trying to decide between the two.

Thanks in advance!!

Shiny42805

Shiny_Rock
I chose a half-eternity (but I don''t have it yet!) because I''m very clumsy and hard on my hands. I know several people that have chipped diamonds in their eternity bands (mosy recently, I remember ame on this site)...I''m waaaaay too OCD to deal with a chipped diamond. (Although I have to add that I think they''re beautiful, they''re just not right for me.)

My half-eternity will be hand engraved on the sides to match my e-ring, and the top will be channel set .03 rounds, with a milgrain edging.

bluepetal

Rough_Rock
I have an eternity bang - gallery setting. A gallery setting allows the diamonds to be raised so that the light reflection is greatest. Each diamond is .44 - total weight of 6.20. It is not uncomfortable at all. Additionally, I have at least 10 friends who have eternity bands and not one has ever had a stone knocked out.

Hope this helps.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
There are many different styles of eternity rings -- pave, shared prong, prong set, channel set, bead set. Each has its own set of advantages and disadvantages. The trade-off is usually more metal = safer, but less sparkle OR less metal = more sparkle, but less secure. In general, the drawbacks to any eternity band are: 1. can't be sized (except in some cases a 1/4 size), 2. to some people, less comfortable, 3. requires more care and maintenance (this, to me, is arguable). But the great thing about eternity bands is that you don't have to worry about spinning and, to me, they're just gorgeous! I have eternity rings and love them. Wouldn't buy any other kind of diamond band, in fact.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
I have both styles and I think there are pros and cons with either.
The great thing about eternity bands are that you don''t have to worry when the ring spins because there are diamonds all the way around. There are also a lot more diamonds, and you know the more diamonds the better!

On the other hand, you can''t resize a diamond. If you have big knuckles or your finger size regrows, other than shaving the inside of the shank, you would either have to reset the diamonds into another band or get a new one. I say this because since having children, my finger size has grown from a 4.5 to a 5.5.
Another thing is that if you are rough with your hands, you may damage the diamonds on the palm side, unless you go around not using that hand to do things with.
There are some of us here that don''t use our right hands- PERIOD! Of course, we have since been diagnosed with Diamond OCD.
31.gif

Then again, you can damage the diamonds if it is a semi-eternity as well. Okay, forget that con.
Also, it is cheaper to get a semi-eternity and probably less work for the jeweler.
2.gif

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the quick replies!! I''m planning on have microset pave eternity bands because the look gorgeous. I was starting to get a bit concerned as I read some of the problems other women have had with eternity bands after they were purchased. I''m still going with the eternity!! I appreciate everyone''s opinion on these band.
face23.gif

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Eternity bands are beautiful but going with a half eternity is a wise choice. Finger sizes can change over the years and it doesn''t seem worth the worry of not being able to change it. Have you considered something like minimouse''s ring?

Link to MiniMouse

She discusses her semi-eternity ring in this thread.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I have been debating this for awhile now. I have finally, I think, decided that I want my setting to be half eternity. I wouldnt want it to spin either way. This was I have the option of a full or half wedding band and I wont have to worry about thhe wedding band damageing my engagement ring.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
If I were choosing between the two, I'd do full eternity and maybe go up a 1/4 of a size if your worried about sizing down the road. Despite the potential problems i like the diamonds to go all the way around, it's a mental thing for me. Bill Pearlman said this in another thread abaout the sizing of eternity bands:

"The beauty of a eternity ring is the endless circle of diamonds and it's meaning. Style wise if the ring turns on your finger, which it will, is you always see diamonds. As far as sizing it depends on the style of eternity ring you wish to use. A channel setting can be sized from the inside by grinding out the metal and most of these rings of this style have additional thickness for this in mind. With laser technology the rings can be sized but 1/2 size at most for you do not want to destroy the integrity of the channel and keep the diamonds secure.

Pave set eternity rings also can be sized but it is only by laser and the pave ring must be very well made. Shared prongs and "U" mountings are much more difficult and would in most situations be sized by carving out from the inside.

As far as wearing rings while pregnant you'll have to judge the amount of weight you put on. Generally through the first 5 to 7 months they will be a bit tight. If more weight is added the suggestion is to take them off. 9 months on, 9 months off is the old adage."

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Since I have first hand experience...as I traded in my full et ernity for half eternity after problems with a full....
My list of pros and cons:

full eternity pros:
Pretty and a "complete" look.
no noticable spinning

Full eternity cons:
MUCH easier to damage, lose stones and break stones (I know THIS for fact)
no one can SEE your whole ring at once so no one knows its a full eternity.
more expensive
can be uncomfortable
cannot be sized
can't really "use" your hand fully.
hell to inspect and keep clean

half eternity pros:
can use your hand
looks just as good as a full eternity
can be sized
less expenisve
just as pretty
less chance of damage or lost or broken stones
much more comfortable
easier to keep clean
easier to inspect

half eternity cons:
potential to spin, though my ring does not
still the slightest potential to damage stones

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s one aspect of the eternity vs. non-eternity band that hasn''t already been discussed. I had to have my wedding band curved around my e-ring to fit flush. Since I wanted the option of wearing the w-ring by itself, I decided to make it full eternity with the back side of the ring straight. That way when I wear the w-ring alone, I just put the straight side out and wear the curved side on the inside of my finger.

I don''t know if this issue applies to you, but just wanted to bring it up in case it did.

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/20/2005 10:14:01 AM
Author: coda72
Here''s one aspect of the eternity vs. non-eternity band that hasn''t already been discussed. I had to have my wedding band curved around my e-ring to fit flush. Since I wanted the option of wearing the w-ring by itself, I decided to make it full eternity with the back side of the ring straight. That way when I wear the w-ring alone, I just put the straight side out and wear the curved side on the inside of my finger.

I don''t know if this issue applies to you, but just wanted to bring it up in case it did.
what a clever idea.
emotion-15.gif

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
I noticed when I was trying on eternity bands this week that the prong set bands are extremely uncomfortable. I couldnt stand the poking on the sides of my fingers. Durability also came to mind. The wedding ring I just bought has teeny (.37ttl) diamonds on the band and all I can wonder is how long it''s going to take me to destroy them lol.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is hard enough to keep a solitaire clean.
I can't imagine how gunky the diamonds in an eternity band must get.
Yuck!

You'd have to take it off and clean it hourly to keep it sparkley.

I must admit, they do look beautiful when you are not wearing them.
Eeternity rings seems like another of those great ideas in principle but bad idea in practice.
There is nothing beautiful about diamonds full of gunk.

Just one opinion.

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
My side diamonds go from 8 o’clock to 4 o’clock or 3/4 around I like it for sizing but believe me if I knew that I would never need to resize again I would have the diamonds go all the way around, I really love the look.
3.gif

sbrennan

Rough_Rock
I have both. I wear a 1 cttw platinum channel set full eternity band next to my wedding ring and I never take it off except to clean it. It is completely comfortable and I''m not even aware I have it on (except when I look at it, which is a lot!) I''m very hard on my rings and this has held up beautifully - not a scratch on the metal or the diamonds. I can''t say the same for my half-eternity band which I wear as a RHR. It''s 11 diamonds, .51 cttw, prong set, and also platinum. The underside of the ring is getting kind of dinged up and it''s starting to bother me. If I had it to do all over again, I''d definitely get a full eternity band for my RHR.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Eternity rings can be re-sized. Some with more difficulty than others, but it is not something one can simply generalize about. If your finger gets large enough, you can add an entire section with an additional diamond. If it then is a little too large, you can put a sleeve inside the ring to make it a little tighter. If a finger gets smaller, not often, one can always insert some metal inside the ring.

We do see damaged diamonds from harsh wear in eternity AND in non-eternity rings. When you are playing rough or tapping out the rythym on your steering wheel, keep in mind the delicacy of the rings on your fingers. Take them off and play rough. Losing a diamond from a ring is not normally a huge loss financially or a big deal in terms of labor to replace the stone. SOme invisibly set diamonds are very difficult to replace cleanly, but most are replaceable. Sizing of channel set rings can be problematic. Prong set stones usually have the least re-sizing issues other than making sure the stones are tight after sizing.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/20/2005 2:22:22 PM
Author: oldminer
When you are playing rough or tapping out the rythym on your steering wheel, keep in mind the delicacy of the rings on your fingers. Take them off and play rough. .
I am so glad you said that--I tap my fingers a lot and i was always wondering if that could damage or loosen stones.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also bad news for women who operate jackhammers.
38.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results