shape
carat
color
clarity

Eternity band - Shared prong AIRLINE vs Closed prong.

Nam

Rough_Rock
Hi,
I'm custom making an eternity band and was wondering the pros and cons of a shared prong airline setting and a regular shared closed prong setting. Not sure which one to get! Please post opinions and pictures. thx!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have no idea what you mean by airline in reference to shared prong settings. Can you post pics?

hmr_mama

Brilliant_Rock
What size is your eternity band going to be? With smaller eternities I think the airline would be beneficial for cleaning purposes. With the larger eternities I don't think it's quite as necessary.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Edited:

Now I think I understand what you mean by airline. My eternity band has an airline in the setting. I don't really think it matters either way, I'd say it's a matter of personal preference. I like the airline, but I tend to favor more open settings in general.

Mrs.W 514

Brilliant_Rock
The setting with the airline might be easier to clean.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
What you are calling "airline" is a basket setting. Personally, I like the look of the basket setting better, it's the same Style as Tiffany, but the Tiffany version is designed to sit super low. I have heard that the closed basket actually keeping the ring/diamonds cleaner b/c not as much dirt can get in. Either way, the band should be safe in an ultrasonic so I'd just get the style you like better.

Nam

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys~ It will be around 25 -30point stones. I like the look of the airline,but have heard it needs to be cleaned more often. HMR Mama, your ring is beautiful. Would love to see more pictures

GMUAlum08

Shiny_Rock
Just curious if people with eternity bands worry about banging the diamonds around on bottom side of your finger? i.e. when you go to open a door

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
I've always wondered if the open basket setting sat higher than one that does not have it?

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
GMUAlum08|1340891889|3225098 said:
Just curious if people with eternity bands worry about banging the diamonds around on bottom side of your finger? i.e. when you go to open a door
I've been wearing my eternity band (it's my wedding band) for nearly four years, and this has never been a concern or a problem. I'm not rough on my jewelry in general, though. Whenever I bring my rings in to have them checked my jeweler always says that I must be so careful with my pieces.

I do take all of my rings off to do dishes, clean, cook, etc. But opening doors has never been an issue, it's not like you need to smash your hand against the door knob!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
mrssalvo|1340889127|3225085 said:
What you are calling "airline" is a basket setting. Personally, I like the look of the basket setting better, it's the same Style as Tiffany, but the Tiffany version is designed to sit super low. I have heard that the closed basket actually keeping the ring/diamonds cleaner b/c not as much dirt can get in. Either way, the band should be safe in an ultrasonic so I'd just get the style you like better.
Isn't it strange that I.D. Jewelry calls it an airline? (It's in the actual description of the ring on their site.) Weird!

When I was trying to figure out what the OP meant by airline I spent quite a bit of time squinting at the space between each diamond, I thought that might be what they were talking about. Sort of like an airline in a halo or something.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haven|1340907828|3225270 said:
mrssalvo|1340889127|3225085 said:
Isn't it strange that I.D. Jewelry calls it an airline? (It's in the actual description of the ring on their site.) Weird!

When I was trying to figure out what the OP meant by airline I spent quite a bit of time squinting at the space between each diamond, I thought that might be what they were talking about. Sort of like an airline in a halo or something.

yes, that is weird. Don't they know that the PS'er start the naming trends :lol: I'm pretty sure folks here started using "halo" long before it became a common term in jewelry stores. But, airline make's no sense b/c it's what's usually referred to as the tiny space in the halo, like you said. And, if we were talking about a 3 stone ring with the same design it would be called basket, so I think the eternity with the same open space/bar should be called the same thing. But, no one really cares what I think 8)

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
orbaya|1340905445|3225233 said:
I've always wondered if the open basket setting sat higher than one that does not have it?

Usually, I believe they do, excluding the authentic Tiffany version which sits extremely low. I've yet to see any vendor replicate one to look as delicate and to be as low as Tiff's.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

hmr_mama

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy|1340932557|3225626 said:
hmr_mama|1340863019|3224992 said:

That's not an airline. That's an open basket versus a closed basket. And it's a personal preference thing, But also an open basket makes cleaning easier.

I had seen it described as an airline on the I.D. jewelry website when I purchased my eternity ring. They seem to think it's an airline. Maybe they will change their description now that they've seen your post.

Nam

Rough_Rock
My jeweler actually calls it an "airline" as well. Not sure what the difference between the basket and airline is-looks the same to me! I've heard airline can be a little more uncomfortable but was wondering how much so? Is it noticeable? I kind of like the look of it better as well...

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nam|1341025996|3226356 said:
My jeweler actually calls it an "airline" as well. Not sure what the difference between the basket and airline is-looks the same to me! I've heard airline can be a little more uncomfortable but was wondering how much so? Is it noticeable? I kind of like the look of it better as well...
My wedding band has what you're calling an airline, and my original e-ring was set in an eternity band that didn't have an airline. There was no difference in comfort whatsoever. I do believe the quality of the prongs matters very much when it comes to eternity rings and their comfort. I have a friend who wore an eternity band for a while and complained that it was so uncomfortable. I tried it on and the prongs were TERRIBLE--rough and too large. I can see why she wasn't loving it. My eternity band has never been uncomfortable to me at all.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results