shape
carat
color
clarity

Estate Rings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

toothman

Rough_Rock
I have some fairly rigid specifications for the ring I am planning on buying for my girlfriend. I was in a jewelry store today and the owner showed me an estate ring. He told me that the ring must be held for at least 10 days before it was priced and available for purchase. Other than the fact that the stones are twice as large as I have been looking for
21.gif
, I believe that this ring will meet my specifications. Here is my question:
What are the advantages/disadvantages of buying an estate ring as opposed to a new ring?
Thanks.
Tim

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Advantages:
-It has the charm of its history.
-It may be better made than cast reproductions.
-It might well be less expensive.
-Somebody loved it.
-It probably won't look exactly like every other new bride's ring.

Disadvantages:
-It might be worn or damaged--be sure to insist on a reasonable, no-questions-asked return period, get it in writing, and get the ring appraised by a good, independent appraiser.
-Some people think there's some sort of bad luck associated with "used" diamonds.

Robyn12

Shiny_Rock
I love antiques and antique jewelry, but I would prefer to have a new enagement ring. There is something about knowing the ring was worn for years by another woman, who may or may not have had a good marriage, that would bother me, on some level. This is not a concern for some women. I have friends who would take a one-of-a-kind antique any day, over something new and without as much character... So, IMO it really depends on your girlfriends personal preferance. If this is a surprise, and you have no way of knowing if she would be comfortable with an estate ring or not, I would say it's not worth taking the chance, even if you can get a bigger stone. If you are able to talk to her about it, and you find that she likes the idea of an estate ring, then go for it. Most estate rings I've seen are really stunning and unique...

Good luck.

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
buyibg estate pieces is very tricky, many times you pay for the piece because of it authenticity ,year ,and designer, and that could add up the $$$$$, You really have to know what they are worth,as many are overly exagerated in price,
your best bet is to go with an expert that knows , pay him for his expertise ,which might save you some money.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results