shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement Ring with Diamond

nigel1989

Rough_Rock
Dear all,
I am about to buy an engagement ring, and I would like to check with you if the price is reasonable. I know that this is a forum about diamonds, but I thought that maybe you could help me to find out if the price of the ring is reasonable, I don't have anyone else to ask!

Here are two pictures of the ring: There is a 'pave' of diamonds, total 0.37 carats, clarity VS1, color F/G. The price for the ring is 1045 EUR with warranty and certificate for the diamonds. Is this a reasonable price?

img_1839.jpg
img_1837_0.jpg

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Who graded the diamonds?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I doubt any of the diamonds are bigger than 25 points, and that's usually the smallest stones that jewelers will send for reputable (AGS or GIA) grading. And anything else is toilet paper. Those stones could be anything selling as "wink, wink, nudge, nudge" F VS.

Would you consider buying from the US? This is a very nice quality and similar ring: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/coronet-engagement-rings-halo-settings-5902w14-1 Which is $898 EUR and that will leave you room for taxes, import duties. And BGD is very experience with international shipping.

I've seen the Coronet in person and the diamond quality is excellent and the design is lovely. Brian is a 4th generation diamond cutter and his in house grading I would trust over some no name vendor with an unknown lab report.

nigel1989

Rough_Rock
I don't know who graded the stones. The ring is from Promesse Gioielli http://www.promesse.it/ , and it comes with a certificate from the same company stating all the parameters of the stone.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is expensive for diamonds of that size.

A warranty isn't worth much because normally you have to stick to strict guidelines, like bringing it every 6 months to be checked, and it may not cover certain types of damage or loss. There are normally companies which will insure jewellery, like how you can get travel insurance as a yearly policy rather than from the airline each time you travel. The grading and certificate also aren't worth much because the company is grading their own diamonds rather than counting on another organisation who has no interest. The company can charge more if they grade the diamonds F/VS than if they grade them I/SI but an independent body wouldn't be bothered either way because they aren't making any more money off it one way or another.

From the website you're in Italy? That may be a good price in Italy if you're buying new from a shop. I don't know of any Italian jewellers who may offer a better deal and I don't can't recall seeing another Italian in Rocky Talk recently. If you're willing to buy online you may have less expensive and better options. If you order from outside the European Union, and whoever else Italy has trade agreements with, you will have to pay VAT at 22% and import tax at 2.5% from a quick internet search, meaning the option from Brian Gavin that was posted here would be more expensive than the ring you originally posted.

jillianfl

Shiny_Rock
Please run, don't walk from that ring no it is not worth the $$ at all, definitely take Gypsy's advice about that beautiful Brian Gavin setting that is similar, it is perfect and it will be way better quality! There is also a $700 version http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/coronet-engagement-rings-halo-settings-5902w14 (US $ price, so it would be even cheaper for you then on Euro or Pound) of the same setting that is .20 total ct. weight instead of the .40 one... And then select a GIA graded or AGS graded stone for the center for sure so that you know what you are getting!!

A certificate from the company is meaningless. And as Gypsy was saying, what they claim is an "F" is probably going to be more like a GIA K, which is a fine color, but not if you are under the impression and paying for and getting an F and that it really isn't upon a real inspection (from someone who doesn't work for their shop or company)! Brain Gavin Diamonds is very reputable on here for sure, people rave about their pieces all the time and they are very high quality and I have heard great to work with.

This is why you came to pricescope to avoid making a purchase you will regret, def listen to Gypsy the BGD setting is exactly what you are looking for and will for sure be better quality and then select a center stone for it separately (which is why I suggested the .20 total carat version, leaves you more $$ for the center that you need to purchase separately and you should select a GIA graded center so you get what you pay for).

Here is a XXX center stone possibility for $518 US, it is a K color, but remember whatever they said the center of that ring was an F, I guarantee it was not, since it's not GIA or AGS, so here is a .43 GIA XXX for $518 http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-5119152-0.43-carat-Round-diamond-K-color-SI1-clarity.aspx or a .48 XXX for $816 USD http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-5154863-0.48-carat-Round-diamond-K-color-SI1-clarity.aspx,,, I have purchased a loose diamond from B2C and was very happy, I wired money to them with no problem, too, and got the wire discount that they offer as well.

Here are some stones ranging from $703-$798 USD and will cost even less if you wire the $$. These are from BGD, it may be easier to just get everything from them and they can have it set and all ready for you! http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.350-k-si1-round-diamond-gia-45970724 and http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.317-h-vs2-round-diamond-ags-c-104067686101

Of course BGD offers loose diamonds for the center stone as well, and people love their loose diamond purchases from them too, you can compare and see who you feel has best prices for the center stone that makes you happy, or you can just get it all done from BGD I would definitely definitely buy that setting Gypsy suggested (either carat weight version, it shows both options on the page) it is so similar to the one you like and it is going to be of great quality. If it were for me I would go for the better cut and bigger weight/ or face up size and color would be LEAST important to me, so I would go down the scale and go down to Si1 in clarity for bigger size and best cut! Good luck happy e-ring shopping!

Also I just showed some stones to show you some things you can get for you $$ size color, etc. but I really have to defer to Gypsy on stones, she can find you a great one :) But hopefully these are some good examples that can help you in your search but Gypsy really knows everything when it comes to selecting a perfect center so I defer to her :)

jillianfl

Shiny_Rock
Also, if it were me I would go for a stone with fluorescence! It will make it seem to face up whiter in the outdoors! I only buy diamonds with fluorescence I love mine! It usually means a lower price as well! BGD has a BG Blue line, with diamonds with fluorenscense, some people like fluor some people don't, but I love it! Also fun to look at under a black light and see the amazing blue glow in the dark! (I don't have a blacklight that I keep around, but going on dark rides in disney world is always fun to see it glow :)

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think your ring is pretty but wayyyy too expensive. Listen to the others and just consider what else you can get for the price.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
jillianfl|1405697756|3715887 said:
Also, if it were me I would go for a stone with fluorescence! It will make it seem to face up whiter in the outdoors! I only buy diamonds with fluorescence I love mine! It usually means a lower price as well! BGD has a BG Blue line, with diamonds with fluorenscense, some people like fluor some people don't, but I love it! Also fun to look at under a black light and see the amazing blue glow in the dark! (I don't have a blacklight that I keep around, but going on dark rides in disney world is always fun to see it glow :)
slight hijack...there are lots of inexpensive loupes that have a "black light".

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
Jimmianne|1405721867|3716169 said:

Fluorescence fans unite!

Great quality UV flashlights are also available on Amazon for about $5.

Here's a solid one that I use, at about $7 shipped:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001VZC5LA/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't think the Coronet is a setting. You don't need a center stone for it. It's a cluster ring of 7 stones put together (similar to the original ring).

The reason I picked the 40 point version is I think that's just the entire price. No center stone needed. It's just the out the door price (minus any international shipping and import taxes).

But I also like Rocky's suggestion as well.

jillianfl

Shiny_Rock
RockyRacoon|1405722461|3716177 said:
Jimmianne|1405721867|3716169 said:

Fluorescence fans unite!

Great quality UV flashlights are also available on Amazon for about $5.

Here's a solid one that I use, at about $7 shipped:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001VZC5LA/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Definitely fluorescence fans unite haha! But hopefully not so much that it drives the price of them up haha! I will have to invest in one of those- for $7 can't go wrong! A light up loupe would be really fun, too!

*But my bad, Gypsy is right (as usual! :) that it is the whole ring no need for a center on that one! Sorry, I got confused because it said "select this ring and add diamond" below the "buy it now" button, but that just must be standard on each page on ...

If you wanted to buy the center stone separately and buy a custom setting made just for the center stone you pick, here is a flower setting example from JuliaBJewelry on Etsy it's only $795 https://www.etsy.com/listing/184430716/custom-design-poppy-ring?ref=shop_home_active_17 I have bought from her before and she is also designing a custom setting for me, she's great!

Good luck, see you have a lot more options for better value than what you started with at least!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
No worries Jillian. I just happened to see Brian right when he had finalized the prototype for the coronet and got to hold it and ogle is myself. So I had an unfair advantage.

They a are a lovely budget friendly choice. For a pair of studs, I'd totally be all over them.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results