shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement Ring - VC's Evelyn or Emilya 30K budget

lucent123

Rough_Rock
Hi!

After having spent the past few weeks on here reading up and educating myself on all things ER relating, I finally felt it was time to make a post of my own and ask advice from the knowledgable PS family.

My BF consulted me and asked if I wanted to be involved in the process. While I know this is slightly untraditional, in the end this is an investment and to be honest we have had so much fun together researching diamonds, settings, etc that its been a great experience thus far. We've finally come to the conclusion after viewing many incredible ER's on here that VC is our guy. Initially I had fallen in love with the Da Beers Classic Pave Solitaire ER but in the end felt like we could get more for our budget (30K). I am torn between either the Evelyn or Emilya styles from VC below and was hoping some of you could shed some insight. In the beginning I hadn't even considered a Halo setting but after seeing his work I began to seriously reconsider. We spoke with VC last week and are ready to move forward once I select a setting.

http://www.victorcanera.com/jewelry/engagement-rings/the-evelyn-solitaire-with-flush-stems

http://www.victorcanera.com/jewelry/engagement-rings/the-emilya-with-cathedral-shank (but without the donut)
http://www.victorcanera.com/jewelry/engagement-rings/the-emilya-with-flush-fitting-stems

Additionally, we are looking to put around a 2 ct. center stone into either setting. Am I realistic with my budget and that carat size? With regards to color I would prefer to stay H and above, "eye-clear" or SI1 +. Cut is one of the most important qualities to me. I've been looking on JA, WF, BN and ERD but haven't seen anything yet. Have any of you had VC source a ring for you? I apologize for all of the questions its definitely a tad bit overwhelming. Below is a summary of what we'd like to do:

Setting: Evelyn or Emilya (flush stems, o donut underneath so the WB sits flush)
Metal - Plat.
Pave - U Cut Shallow
Shank THickness - Slightly thin
Center Stone - 2 ct.
Ring Size 50mm

THANK YOU!!!

chrisan

Rough_Rock
The Evelyn is perhaps my favorite setting. However, I think it looks best with an emerald:
http://www.victorcanera.com/jewelry/engagement-rings/the-evelyn-solitaire-with-2ct-emerald-cut

So for a round I would go with the Emilya.

Some women upgrade after 10 years. In a few years I'm thinking of "downgrading" :razz: I would never sell my 3c cushion ER (also by VC), but I think I want to get something smaller for everyday especially if we have a family/children in the near future. And I've got my eye on a 2c emerald in the Evelyn setting.

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Roqsteady

Shiny_Rock
You definitely have a healthy budget to get yourself a 2 ct. stone. However to get to an H color you'd likely need to go to an eye-clean SI1, unless you can find an H VS2 with fluorescence.

Edit: Those H VS2 ACA options mom2boys just posted are amazing!

Have you looked at Victor's own inventory? Getting the diamond from him would make it easier in terms of shipping/insurance, etc. I did have an outside diamond sourced from him and he was great and speedy in getting the diamond in and providing scope images.

http://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/q07pm0 - It looks to be an eye-clean G color, with the setting you'd probably be around 2k over budget, even accounting for the 5% discount you'd get off your setting.

http://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/k0quw3 - this would put you in budget, but at an I color. However the cut on this stone looks picture perfect.

Here's a top-notch H VS2 but with the setting you'd be around 1.5k over budget with the PS discount

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/d...ls/2.088-h-vs2-round-diamond-ags-104069928003

From JA:

H SI1 well within your budget, great cut, AGS 000 - ask for PS discount and idealscope image
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-dia...arat-h-color-si1-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-230441

lucent123

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much everyone for your response. Couple quick follow-up questions:

mom2boys - Those three diamonds are all incredible! There was one for around 27K which would be really nice. I noticed that all 3 of those diamonds are listed as "A Cut Above". It seems that every site has there own version of this, do you feel that its worth the money to opt for that category? I saw the 2 ct. G listed on VC's site but I just worry that it might put us outside our budget. Also - if we were to go that route because the diamond is currently with VC we would not be able to see it before he sets it (we live in NYC) is that something we need to worry about or do we just trust him?

Roqsteady - I've been tossing and turning about the overall difference between an H SI1 and going down to an I color but with better clarity and cut. Do you feel that with a better cut (ie. Canera Ideal Hearts, JA True Hearts or a WF A Cut Above) even if you are dropping down in color you might not notice it because the cut is so good? Lastly - I wasn't aware that PS offered a 5% discount. Is this applicable to every vendor?

Thank you all so much again for the guidance!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My dream is an Evelyn solitaire with my 1.63 average :) diamond that I was given 26 years ago.. I think the Evelyn is beautiful.. but I am not a fan of halos... everyone is different and I can see why people like them.. in my age and point in life a Evelyn is my dream ring. I will continue dreaming .. :) congratulations, and much happiness in your future I am sure.

lucent123|1397588301|3653910 said:
Hi!

After having spent the past few weeks on here reading up and educating myself on all things ER relating, I finally felt it was time to make a post of my own and ask advice from the knowledgable PS family.

My BF consulted me and asked if I wanted to be involved in the process. While I know this is slightly untraditional, in the end this is an investment and to be honest we have had so much fun together researching diamonds, settings, etc that its been a great experience thus far. We've finally come to the conclusion after viewing many incredible ER's on here that VC is our guy. Initially I had fallen in love with the Da Beers Classic Pave Solitaire ER but in the end felt like we could get more for our budget (30K). I am torn between either the Evelyn or Emilya styles from VC below and was hoping some of you could shed some insight. In the beginning I hadn't even considered a Halo setting but after seeing his work I began to seriously reconsider. We spoke with VC last week and are ready to move forward once I select a setting.

http://www.victorcanera.com/jewelry/engagement-rings/the-evelyn-solitaire-with-flush-stems

http://www.victorcanera.com/jewelry/engagement-rings/the-emilya-with-cathedral-shank (but without the donut)
http://www.victorcanera.com/jewelry/engagement-rings/the-emilya-with-flush-fitting-stems

Additionally, we are looking to put around a 2 ct. center stone into either setting. Am I realistic with my budget and that carat size? With regards to color I would prefer to stay H and above, "eye-clear" or SI1 +. Cut is one of the most important qualities to me. I've been looking on JA, WF, BN and ERD but haven't seen anything yet. Have any of you had VC source a ring for you? I apologize for all of the questions its definitely a tad bit overwhelming. Below is a summary of what we'd like to do:

Setting: Evelyn or Emilya (flush stems, o donut underneath so the WB sits flush)
Metal - Plat.
Pave - U Cut Shallow
Center Stone - 2 ct.
Ring Size 50mm

THANK YOU!!!

lucent123

Rough_Rock
Ohh and 1 more thing - I noticed all the diamond links that y'all kindly provided were to AGS certified diamonds. Do you all prefer that over GIA?

Thanks! :twirl:

lucent123

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much Tekate! That is why I do keep going back and forth they are both beautiful the solitaire is a very timeless look but the VC halos are stunning as well :)

Thank you again! 26 years is a very big accomplishment congratulations to you as well!

Tekate|1397601549|3654031 said:
My dream is an Evelyn solitaire with my 1.63 average :) diamond that I was given 26 years ago.. I think the Evelyn is beautiful.. but I am not a fan of halos... everyone is different and I can see why people like them.. in my age and point in life a Evelyn is my dream ring. I will continue dreaming .. :) congratulations, and much happiness in your future I am sure.

lucent123|1397588301|3653910 said:
Hi!

Metal - Plat.
Pave - U Cut Shallow
Center Stone - 2 ct.
Ring Size 50mm

THANK YOU!!!

Roqsteady

Shiny_Rock
lucent123|1397601297|3654029 said:
Thank you so much everyone for your response. Couple quick follow-up questions:

mom2boys - Those three diamonds are all incredible! There was one for around 27K which would be really nice. I noticed that all 3 of those diamonds are listed as "A Cut Above". It seems that every site has there own version of this, do you feel that its worth the money to opt for that category? I saw the 2 ct. G listed on VC's site but I just worry that it might put us outside our budget. Also - if we were to go that route because the diamond is currently with VC we would not be able to see it before he sets it (we live in NYC) is that something we need to worry about or do we just trust him?

Roqsteady - I've been tossing and turning about the overall difference between an H SI1 and going down to an I color but with better clarity and cut. Do you feel that with a better cut (ie. Canera Ideal Hearts, JA True Hearts or a WF A Cut Above) even if you are dropping down in color you might not notice it because the cut is so good? Lastly - I wasn't aware that PS offered a 5% discount. Is this applicable to every vendor?

Thank you all so much again for the guidance!

Not all vendors offer a PS discount - JA, WF, and BG do and the percentage varies by vendor. As to your color/cut question - I feel that an I color faces up very white (I briefly had a J from Brian Gavin and you could not tell face up it had tint until I put it next to a D color). And definitely, the performance in a well-cut G/H, for example, would be more noticeable than the color difference from a poorly/average cut E/F. Also,since you're putting it in a halo, the side view where you see the most color will be masked, so I'd think it would be less of an issue. The best way is to go look at some diamonds yourself, OR if you decide to go with Victor you could ask him to make a video comparing the G and the I in various lighting - I know he has made these from time to time if you look at his youtube channel. This might also help put you at ease if you decide to buy it from him so you can actually see the diamond before he sets it.

As to your WF ACA question, many people who have/have seen both tend to agree that ES performs near if not the same level as ACA. Of course it's a case-by-case basis, but ACA has strict parameters and vetting process that makes it a safe safe choice for a high-performing diamond. However some have found others in the ES grade that narrowly miss the mark because of a slightly steeper crown angle, for example, and find it to be just as gorgeous as an ACA. That said, it's pretty safe to say that if it's an ACA, it will be stunning.

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh I hope you get the Evelyn! I have a halo, I love halos, there are many gorgeous halos in the world and the Emilya is fabulous... but I'm ready for a return to solitaires. Or at least a style other than micropave halo. Just my opinion - but you really can't make a bad choice.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This one is $26,475 with ps/wire pmt discounts. This one would be my choice, but someone will be incredibly lucky to get the 1.92!

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3063787.htm

I honestly would go with the Evelyn for an engagement ring. I think you'll have lots of opportunities in the future to get colored stone rings or even another diamond for right hand rings. Some of those likely will have halos. So my caution is to watch out for halo overkill. Of course, if your desire is to maximize size appearance, then you may want to go with the Emilya.

lucent123

Rough_Rock
Thank you DiamondSeeker - I am glad that a few of you are saying go with the Evelyn. I feel like this is where my heart lies and was what I was looking at initially. Plus if I am going with a 2 ct. I want to show that off. Eventually if I feel like I've grown comfortable with 2 cts I can do a setting change and upgrade with a halo. Thanks again!

diamondseeker2006|1397607790|3654096 said:
This one is $26,475 with ps/wire pmt discounts. This one would be my choice, but someone will be incredibly lucky to get the 1.92!

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3063787.htm

I honestly would go with the Evelyn for an engagement ring. I think you'll have lots of opportunities in the future to get colored stone rings or even another diamond for right hand rings. Some of those likely will have halos. So my caution is to watch out for halo overkill. Of course, if your desire is to maximize size appearance, then you may want to go with the Emilya.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it depends what you like the Evelyn is a simpler more understated setting which makes the centre stone pop on it's own slightly more and the Emilya is all razzle dazzle and bling. Depends if you want simple elegance or bling bling and more bling. I have a simple 8 prong solitaire setting and an Emilya and out of the two the Emilya probably gets more attention. I love the extra bling and before Victor I was never a halo person, so you have a tough choice. You seem to be leaning towards the Evelyn so perhaps you should go with it since it was your initial choice. His settings are beautifully made you won't go wrong with either. I am going to be the voice of dissent and say if it was me I'd pick the Emilya but I love lots of sparkle, and halos are not for everyone.

tuckie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Have you spoken to VC about the possibility of sourcing your stone and if there is any pricing implications of doing so? I thought I had read that another PSer perhaps was able to get a bit of a discount on the setting or stone via purchasing both through him...

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a very personal decision. And, while both are absolutely stunning, I prefer the Evelyn because of the understated elegance. And I am more a 'solitaire+' girl (a solitaire with something extra) than a halo girl. If you love a more blingy look and finger coverage, I would go for the Emilya. Both are classics. With the carat size you are after, I think the stone will shine in the Evelyn :love:

I heard that Victor gives a discount if you buy one of his stones (or source trough him?) as well as the setting. There is no PS discount.
PSer Kay has just received his Emilya for his fiancee. And he also sourced the stone via Victor. It will be worth it reading his threads.

hmhmhm

Rough_Rock
I have the Evelyn and I love it! I think the Emilya is stunning too, but I didn't even consider it when I was choosing a setting because it was a little bit too blingy for me for everyday wear (I didn't even want to go larger than 1.3 ct because I'd feel too self conscious wearing anything bigger - doesn't stop me from perving on the large rocks on PS though!).

I think both settings are really elegant, but I think the Evelyn is a bit more classic, whereas the Emilya is a bit more 'wow' and would attract more attention.

I think a 2 ct would look stunning as a solitaire - the stone will be the star attraction and on the profile you will see this delicate shimmer surrounding the stone from the melee.

Whatever you get, I want to see modelling shots! :appl: I couldn't find any modelling shots of the Evelyn when I was researching and have now posted a few photos of mine, but I would love to see more!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I am going to suggest other options here. I have seen so many Evelyn's and Emilya's on here that I am getting a bit burnt out whenever I see another one. I do want one myself one day but my halo is too close.

This is my favorite - although a Steven Kirsch ring. I am sure VC can make something similar with a round diamond. This setting allows the diamond to sit flush and looks a lot better than the floating head on a shank (which I don't like).
SC86-LMSK6.png
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/perry-chen-at-lm-steven-kirsch-cushion-halo.169586/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/perry-chen-at-lm-steven-kirsch-cushion-halo.169586/[/URL]

For a solitaire, it is always timeless and I actually rather my e-ring be a solitaire (although I love halos). However, I would like mine a bit different - either play up the shank or the head.

Perhaps something like this Leon Mege design?
r1014_018Ww.jpg

Or this ring recently made by ERD?
solitaire-diamond-engagement-ring-valmanin-1.jpg
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-3-55-oec-in-erd-rg-wg-solitaire.199003/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-3-55-oec-in-erd-rg-wg-solitaire.199003/[/URL]

I have a ring made by Philip Press that is similar to the Evelyn although it always reminds me of a Daniel K ring. This one belongs to Phale - mine is similar but 3 sided pave (I copied her after she bought her setting).
075_0.jpg
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-journey-to-find-the-one-oec-owd-1-97-f-color.200658/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-journey-to-find-the-one-oec-owd-1-97-f-color.200658/[/URL]

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hmhmhm|1397648310|3654267 said:
I have the Evelyn and I love it! I think the Emilya is stunning too, but I didn't even consider it when I was choosing a setting because it was a little bit too blingy for me for everyday wear (I didn't even want to go larger than 1.3 ct because I'd feel too self conscious wearing anything bigger - doesn't stop me from perving on the large rocks on PS though!).

I think both settings are really elegant, but I think the Evelyn is a bit more classic, whereas the Emilya is a bit more 'wow' and would attract more attention.

I think a 2 ct would look stunning as a solitaire - the stone will be the star attraction and on the profile you will see this delicate shimmer surrounding the stone from the melee.

Whatever you get, I want to see modelling shots! :appl: I couldn't find any modelling shots of the Evelyn when I was researching and have now posted a few photos of mine, but I would love to see more!

A few photo's from hmhmhm's lovely Evelyn :love:

_16995.jpg

_16996.jpg

lucent123

Rough_Rock
OH WOWZERS that is gorgeous!! I am definitely thinking I need to go with my initial plan. Especially since my BF and I both immediately felt like that was the one. Now I just need to decide on a center stone!

Thank you so much again! Hmhmhm's Evelyn is absolutely stunning! :love:

Acinom|1397649547|3654273 said:
hmhmhm|1397648310|3654267 said:

A few photo's from hmhmhm's lovely Evelyn :love:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Regardless of who I had source the stone, I'd go with VS2 clarity. You have the budget to have it, and I wouldn't pay $2000 more for a G SI1. But it may be possible Victor can locate an H VS2 hearts and arrows for you at a competitive price, but the WF stone is pretty much perfect for what you want if he cannot source one.

I love the Evelyn. Honestly, we see people here change settings all the time because there are so many beautiful choices. But to me, it you go with classic, elegant, superbly made...I see no reason that it would ever need to be changed (unless you got a larger diamond someday). Really a 2 ct in a VC setting is about as ideal as it gets, in my opinion!

Roqsteady

Shiny_Rock
How important for you is it to stay over the 2 ct mark? I know you can definitely afford to in your budget, but usually staying right under those markers is most cost effective.

This diamond posted earlier would be my choice:

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3075969.htm

At this carat size, .3mm is not an appreciable difference, and you can save $4550! The stone will definitely look 2 carats. Plus it's an ACA, so you know you're getting a top of the line cut.

lucent123

Rough_Rock
Thank you again diamond seeker for your feedback. So between the two mentioned stones - you would prefer to drop in color and come up in clarity? Thank you so much again for the encouragement and honest advice!!!

diamondseeker2006|1397662150|3654359 said:
Regardless of who I had source the stone, I'd go with VS2 clarity. You have the budget to have it, and I wouldn't pay $2000 more for a G SI1. But it may be possible Victor can locate an H VS2 hearts and arrows for you at a competitive price, but the WF stone is pretty much perfect for what you want if he cannot source one.

I love the Evelyn. Honestly, we see people here change settings all the time because there are so many beautiful choices. But to me, it you go with classic, elegant, superbly made...I see no reason that it would ever need to be changed (unless you got a larger diamond someday). Really a 2 ct in a VC setting is about as ideal as it gets, in my opinion!

lucent123

Rough_Rock
Thank you Roqsteady that is a valid point. I just didn't know if the diamonds were as comparable since there is almost a $5K price disparity.

Thanks again!

Roqsteady|1397665212|3654397 said:
How important for you is it to stay over the 2 ct mark? I know you can definitely afford to in your budget, but usually staying right under those markers is most cost effective.

This diamond posted earlier would be my choice:

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3075969.htm

At this carat size, .3mm is not an appreciable difference, and you can save $4550! The stone will definitely look 2 carats. Plus it's an ACA, so you know you're getting a top of the line cut.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results