shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement ring help - cushion cut w/ black diamond pave

TonyTheTiger

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

I've been a lurker here for around the last month trying to gather as much information as possible to purchase an engagement ring for my girlfriend. We have been pretty open to talking about what she likes, so her preferences aren't a complete mystery!

I have a fairly specific idea in mind from our chats and trips to various jewelery stores; while I may need to go custom, it's been difficult to find similar settings to get a better idea of what the finished product may look like. She really likes the mixture of black and white diamonds, as well as pave settings (both in the bezel and on the band)

What I'd like to have is:

Center stone: Cushion cut white diamond with modern facet structure (looking in and around 1ct~)
Setting: Bezel that follows the contour of the CS and houses a black diamond pave to hopefully provide a nicely contrasting frame to the stone
Band: I definitely want a flat band (no rounded edges), with the possibility of a white diamond pave on the shoulders
Material: Budget will probably only permit white gold, but I'd like to consider palladium as an option

Not expecting to find a ring already exactly like that, but any of the items I come across with black diamonds are usually the other way around (black diamond center stone with white diamond pave).

Any help or advice would be great!

I am located in Toronto and have a few custom places in mind, but I want to be as educated as possible beforehand. I have a few images I can post of similar settings in white diamonds if that helps.

Thanks!

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Are you and your GF okay with using irradiated diamonds in an important ring like an ER? Nearly all black diamonds are irradiated!

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
megeve|1295202644|2824300 said:
Are you and your GF okay with using irradiated diamonds in an important ring like an ER? Nearly all black diamonds are irradiated!

This is a good point. I ended up wearing my first simple solitaire setting for decades. My taste changed over the years, but the ring was versatile enough to change with me. It is your choice, of course, if you decide to go with the 'black' diamonds, but you might want to first consider a separate band with the black diamonds, for example.

TonyTheTiger

Rough_Rock
I ran that by her in the past because I understand actual black diamonds are really rare, she really likes the look of them regardless of them being irradiated. I think the idea that her ring is unique outweighs than the quality or authenticity of the black stones. In the end it will still frame a nice real white stone. Our tastes in ring differ slightly, but at the end of the day she needs to love it. Based on my difficulty in finding similar rings, I imagine it will end up being quite unique looking. In past conversations she has described the perfect ring being as I described it (black stones around the center stone). I guess what I'm trying to say is that she places a higher value on meaning and uniqueness over pure value. She always tells me not to spend a fortune on it if I ever buy one :)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TonyTheTiger|1295203666|2824308 said:
I ran that by her in the past because I understand actual black diamonds are really rare, she really likes the look of them regardless of them being irradiated. I think the idea that her ring is unique outweighs than the quality or authenticity of the black stones. In the end it will still frame a nice real white stone. Our tastes in ring differ slightly, but at the end of the day she needs to love it. Based on my difficulty in finding similar rings, I imagine it will end up being quite unique looking. In past conversations she has described the perfect ring being as I described it (black stones around the center stone). I guess what I'm trying to say is that she places a higher value on meaning and uniqueness over pure value. She always tells me not to spend a fortune on it if I ever buy one :)

black diamonds are often irradiated and I believe they can also be quite difficult to cut because of how prone they are to breaking? if you can't find black diamonds that meet your requirements you might look into very, very dark sapphires - so dark they are essentially black, they'll be cheap because this is not the type of sapphire most people want, and they'll be easier to find and sturdier I'm thinking..? Or maybe even dark red garnets?

Maybe post this in the coloured stones forum, lots of experts there who can better help you with coloured options!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tony, I think the concept is pretty cool, and definitely unique. It certainly has wow factor. I would think with those specifics, it shouldn't be too hard to find someone to do it. I'd ask WF, BGD, and GOG to get quotes.

I really wish we could get an update from SKR on this ring and how the black pave has held up over time; [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ok-you-are-all-probably-going-to-hate-this-but-i-love-it.55367/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ok-you-are-all-probably-going-to-hate-this-but-i-love-it.55367/[/URL]

file.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results