shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement Ring and Wedding Ring Etiquette

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

GETanEDGE

Rough_Rock
I’m assuming that overall this is up to personal preference, but do most people wear both their Engagement Ring and Wedding Rings after they are married or do they just wear one or the other?

I’m curious to know what people around here do.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wear both.

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
In the UK most people wear both together, wedding band, then ering, (then eternity band) on the left hand. I''ve read that many other countires, including the USA, do things differently. But as you say, it''s all personal preference.

Many women in certain jobs (nurses) may not wish or be able to wear their ering so only wear their wedding band to work. There are other reasons for not wearing both rings - safety, security etc

At the end of the day, do what suits you.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I always wear my wedding ring, because it denotes my status as a married woman. My e-ring I wear next to it maybe 1/2 the time, depending on how much sparkle I want.

Cath

Shiny_Rock
I wear both. I have seen all combos but I mostly see other women wearing both as well.

GETanEDGE

Rough_Rock
I guess I just find it odd that some women wouldn''t wear their E-rings after they are married because it''s usually the one that costs more.

Being the male in the relationship, I''d want to see her wear that thing every day especially when you consider how much money was spent on it. I guess you could also argue that the E-ring denotes social status and in a way could reflect on the wealth and power of the husband. (Is this an odd way of thinking?)

However, I can relate to limitations placed on women by their occupations.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
My mom wore both, but that''s cuz it was one of those e-ring/wedding band sets that matched. She recently got a new setting so now she just wears the new e-ring setting.

My g/f says she''s just wearing the e-ring. Her coworkers (all that I''ve seen) who are married just wear the e-rings too.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Interesting thread!

Now, another question... for those of you who wear an e-ring AND a w-ring... which is on the bottom (put on the finger first)?! I always thought the wedding ring goes first, then the e-ring. But I sure see a lot of women who do it the opposite way. Are there any "rules" about this?!!

Hmmmm...

Lynn

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
My w-ring goes on first, because I bought into that old story about the vein in the ring finger that goes to the heart, and therefore the wedding ring is closer to the heart than the e-ring...even though it cost a lot less.
9.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I guess I just find it odd that some women wouldn''t wear their E-rings after they are married because it''s usually the one that costs more.
My w-ring is way more precious to me than the much more expensive e-ring because of what it symbolizes. I would be sad if I lost my e-ring, but devastated to lose the w-ring that was blessed and placed on my finger when I married the man I love.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wear my w-ring first then e-ring, I also listened to that whole closer to the heart thing but I also think it looks better that way.
9.gif

I also 99% of the time wear both e-ring and w-ring together, my hand feels kind of naked without both. Esp since I wore the e-ring for a year and a half before I added the w-ring so that was the first one there...if its not there it feels odd.

I wear the w-ring by itself some weekend days when we''re not really doing much and/or cleaning around the house or something, where I don''t feel like having the e-ring on too.

I don''t see myself ever wearing just the e-ring and not the w-ring...the w-ring has more meaning because of the ceremony and what it means.

hannah

Rough_Rock
Wedding ring, then e-ring...both on the left hand.

Though I''m starting to notice a trend among my married girlfriends. They''re wearing their wedding sets on the right hand, and wearing an eternity ring on the left ring finger.

Franny

Rough_Rock
I have been married for almost 10 years. I *always* wear my w-ring, which is just a plain, very thin gold band. On top of that goes the e-ring, which I wear a lot this time of the year but hardly at all in the warmer weather. With three little kiddies, I spend a lot of time in sandboxes and dirt piles and swimming pools... Very soon I will be the proud owner of a beautiful eternity band and reset (in platinum) e-ring but I can''t imagine wearing either when I''m in full "mommy" mode. Can you imagine trying to pry Play-doh out of the setting? New jewels or not, I''m sure that the plain band will continue to have a long and healthy life.

Rowan

Shiny_Rock
Well, I lost my original plain gold band after only 3 years when my daughter flushed it down the toilet.
39.gif
(She was only two.) And it was my fault for leaving in the bathroom. I have always missed it. I got my first solitaire a year after we were married, and it was spared the toilet fate, but I really would have rather lost it than the band. Last year for my 15th anniversary I finally got a beautiful diamond in a platinum setting and while it looks like an ering, it really is my wedding ring because it''s the only thing that has been able to fill the void left when I lost that band.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
i wear my w-ring then e-ring, both on my left hand. I also have a plain 5mm band i wear when im not wearing the other set. I like always having a wedding ring on...i feel lost without it.

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
I wear my wedding ring, then my e-ring. For a while after I was married, I wore both, however I tend now to wear only my wedding ring. I put the e-ring on when I''m going ''out'' somewhere ( a lunch or dinner, family get-together, etc.). But for everyday, I wear just the w-ring. I have an e-ring that sits high in the setting and I''ve found that it knocks into things and gets in the way if I wear it constantly
8.gif
I have only myself to blame for this, I wanted a higher setting.
I also noticed that obviously, the more you wear it, the faster it gets dirty

When my husband first started noticing I was going without the e-ring, his was ticked off. He didn''t understand why he had spent so much money on something I only wear some of the time. But I explained the reasons above, and he''s chilled out about it......

Fiancee to be

Rough_Rock
Ha! As a guy who''s desperately searching for the perfect ring right now I can see where your husband is coming from. If my future wife eventually stops wearing her e-ring I''ll let her hear it a little bit, all in good fun of course.
2.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
It's funny.....I was hell-bent on getting a w-ring that I could wear alone. Therefore, I was dead set against a curved band that would fit my ring a bit better.

However, I have yet to wear my w-ring alone, and I can't imagine not wearing my e-ring. I wear the w-ring, then e-ring on my left hand. I've toyed with the idea of moving my e-ring to the right......but it just doesn't feel right to me to wear it that way.

By far, though, my w-ring is much more important to me. It's the ring Rich put on my finger in front of everyone when he promised to by my husband forever.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I wear my wedding ring first, then my e-ring. My mom has always worn her eternity ring on her left hand and her e-ring with a plain band soldered on her right hand. Growing up, I thought this was the norm, to wear your e-ring on the right, wedding on the left.

Sometimes I like seeing the simplicity of just my wedding ring, so I wear it around the house solo, but so far I can''t bear to be in public without my e-ring. And for times when I don''t want to wear the diamond w-ring, I have a plain, 3mm band. I haven''t worn that either yet.

GETanEDGE

Rough_Rock
Wow.....I can tell there definitely isn''t a norm when it comes to wearing your E-ring and W-ring.
I guess after reading your posts I can better understand why someone wouldn''t want to wear their
E-ring and get it all trashed up. However, with all that said, my future fiance better wear that
darn ring till it falls apart! If I''m dropping all this money she better get some good use out of it
1.gif

I''ll have to show her this thread after I "do the deed" to see how she feels about it. I know her
mother never had an actual E-ring and only wore a simple wedding band. She''s getting a rock on her
finger whether she likes it or not
9.gif

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2005 12
6.gif
6.gif
1 PM
Author: GETanEDGE
I''ll have to show her this thread after I ''do the deed'' to see how she feels about it. I know her
mother never had an actual E-ring and only wore a simple wedding band. She''s getting a rock on her
finger whether she likes it or not
9.gif
Odds are good, she''ll like it.
9.gif

I''ve gone through phases of always wearing both, or sometimes just wearing my wedding band. It was mostly driven by what I was doing in life. I didn''t always wear the e-ring when I traveled for business, but I always wore a wedding band. Now I''m wearing both whenever practical, but trying to take care of them also, so taking them both off when doing very "handsy" things -- especially in the kitchen.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
my future fiance better wear that
darn ring till it falls apart! If I''m dropping all this money she better get some good use out of it
1.gif
Ha! However, think of it, don''t you want her to love it so much she babies it enough to pass on to future generations? You wouldn''t wear your best suit mountain biking, right?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2005 12:36:44 PM
Author: Hest88

my future fiance better wear that
darn ring till it falls apart!  If I''m dropping all this money she better get some good use out of it
1.gif
Ha! However, think of it, don''t you want her to love it so much she babies it enough to pass on to future generations? You wouldn''t wear your best suit mountain biking, right?
What if there are no future generations? There are no guarantees on anything....so my philosophy is to wear the e-ring and enjoy it!
9.gif
Chances are it will still be fine later in life...it is not like material that disintegrates..!

tanuki

Shiny_Rock
I was told that if you wear both you put the wedding ring innermost because that way it is closest to the heart.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hell Idon''t even wear my ering all the time and Im not married yet! I carry it in a ring box a lot more than I wear it because I dont want to bang it or ruin it at work. Or sitting on the couch.

My mom had her set soldered together at their 15th and then at the 25th they made a whole new ring. She has a plain band to wear if she just wants her band on

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
On rare occassion do I only wear my wedding band. I usually wear both. Wedding ring first than e-ring. I feel like they are one and the same.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Until I read about it here, I''d never heard of a woman wearing her e-ring on one hand and her wedding ring on the other after she was married. Everyone I know wears them both on the left hand, or just the wedding ring on the left hand.

But I say do whatever you want! Who says you have to follow the rules? I posted last year about how my girlfriend was outraged that a friend of hers wore "just" an engagement type ring on her left hand even though she was married. This woman''s first ring had been stolen and when she got her new ring, she could not find a band that she liked with it. My girlfriend felt strongly that you should not be able to do that, lol.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
This looks like an old thread, but I am glad I found it, as it addresses a question I have been trying to have answered. So, I guess wearing a ring that looks more like an engagement ring on the left hand alone would be okay? I also have a "spare" wedding ring that fits on my right hand, that I could wear when wearing the Eng. style ring on the left, just in case folks had any doubts that I''m married! When I found out on my honeymoon that many Europeans wear the wedding band on the right hand, I thought, I wish I''d known that as it might have helped in my search/decision. I agree with many here, without at least something on my Left hand ring finger, it feels strange now that I''m married. Seems like there needs to be something on that finger!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am not yet married but I will wear both on my left hand. My FH would KILL me if I stopped wearing my e-ring after he spent so much money to get me the ring of my dreams. The only time I could see taking it off is for travel or if my fingers swell during pregnancy.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Tacori E-ring, is that ring in the picture, with the sapphires on the sides, your e-ring? I wouldn''t take it off either if I had one that beautiful! That is such a pretty ring. Do you have a picture of what wedding ring you will wear with it?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results