shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement gift for your guy?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LadyBug

Rough_Rock
My mother told when she got engaged she bought my father a pinky ring as an engagement gift for him ... I was just wondering if any of you got your guy a gift for your engagement and if so, what?

NyssaLynne

Shiny_Rock
I gave my husband a men''s ring with a .33 carat diamond when we got engaged. He isn''t much of a jewelry wearer, due to his occupation, so he only wears it when we go out.

stretch4

Ideal_Rock
A watch is also a common gift. While I am already engaged, I am still thinking of one for my fiance. We have about a year and five months until the wedding anyways!!

appletini

Ideal_Rock
I''m not engaged yet (should be soon) but I had already planned to give him a rolex submariner for his wedding present. So for his engagement present I was thinking of getting him a new rifle (he likes to go hunting) b/c he''s been talking about getting a new one...and then have some sort of special engraving put on it.

Another option could be a flat pannel tv or some super cool gadget, but that won''t stand the test of time. Plus a gun or watch or something like that can be passed down in the family.

chantal990

Shiny_Rock
I haven''t got him anything as yet but I think I will it''s just a matter of finding something which he likes. I was thinking of getting him a two tone ring with a smallish diamond in it as he loves wearing rings so he would wear it on his right hand and his wedding ring on the left we have been shopping but have found nothing that we like and he doesn''t really know what kind of style he wants so we are just taking it easy.

skimmy

Rough_Rock
i got him a watch as well as an engagement gift. am i "supposed" to get him a wedding gift as well??

SJS1234

Shiny_Rock
This is a really good question actually. I would like to get my bf something too, when the time comes -- but I don''t have a lot of money to spend and I need ideas!! There was another thread similar to this one a while back where girls were talking about plasma tv''s, etc -- but I just can''t afford that right now.....and my bf already has a nice rolex and a tag heur -- much nicer watches than I could ever afford to buy him without saving for a really really long time. I thought about sirius or xm satellite radio -- but he has a nice car that he wouldn''t want the wiring messed with (glad I accidentally found out before it was too late!!). ugh. It''s great that he has nice things, etc. -- but I feel like I can''t get him anything that''s "good" enough!! He would certainly adore ANY gift from me -- but I''m all weirded out about it. Any more suggestions out there?

dietvanillacoke

Rough_Rock
i have been thinking about what to get for my guy (i don''t think he''d wear a ring until we''re married, and i just got him a watch last year) and here are the things i''ve come up with:

valentine 1 radar detector (best on the market)
a new snowboard
a suit (he only has one so far, and it''s such a good investment)
digital camera
the U2 Ipod
LCD monitor for his computer
i''d love to get him a mac laptop but could not afford it for my life
a new amp for his bass guitar
a bottle of expensive single malt scotch.

those are my ideas, and they are very custom fit towards him and his hobbies/passions. good luck!

njc

Brilliant_Rock
I got my fiance a flat panel, widescreen, HD, DLP TV. Translation, the big TV he has been dreaming of forever that i told him if he bought that before we were engaged, i might have to re-evaluate our relationship.
9.gif
I know the TV idea isnt for everyone, but its the one thing he wanted as bad as i wanted an e-ring.

DietVC - Think those ideas are great if those are things he is more into. Is there one he is dying to have over the others?

travl4me1

Rough_Rock
Steve,

I actually was able to attend the Vegas race as part of our honeymoon. That was the incentive to get married for me. It sealed the deal.

Furthermore, I got gas powered hedge trimmers as an engagement gift. I buy jewelry, but I''m not a jewelry wearer, as many men are not. So if your fiance doesn''t like rings, watches, etc. Get him a power tool and leave him alone in front of the T.V.

Cath

Shiny_Rock
Am I in the minority? I didn''t get my husband anything when we got engaged... I had never heard of a man getting an engagement gift?? Is this a fairly "modern" thing or at least not very common?

We didn''t exchange wedding gifts either (although I had heard about those) -- we didn''t have much savings since we were young. What we did budget out of our savings we put towards the wedding and honeymoon -- which was worth it to us!

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
I''m paying for my fiance to have lasik so he''ll no longer have to wear glasses. I know it''s not a romantic gift, but I thought seeing clearly for our honeymoon without having to reach for glasses would be good. I''ll make sure to give him some fun things to look at when he first gets up :)

SJS1234

Shiny_Rock
I definitely don''t think it''s a "normal" thing -- or necessary at all....but a few people have brought it up, so I thought I might do it too. I''m not stressing too much over it, actually -- because I know he''s not expecting anything......... He does SO much for me -- I mean he always pays (I''ll pick up the occasional bargain lunch or breakfast), and he treats me like a princess (though I''m SO not) -- and he always surprises me with flowers and other little things like that.......I would like to give him some kind of expression of gratitude, other than "thanks".........something that says "YES I want to be with you for the rest of my life" and that "I will always appreciate your love and generosity." Do you guys think it would be cheesy to have a star named after him? I know you can do that now -- but is that "unique" idea a little played out????

SJS1234

Shiny_Rock
of course, if I could afford the mega tv I would definitely go that route.
I also love the idea of allowing his friends over for football, golf, nascar, etc. for a year and agreeing to cook/cleanup/etc. -- problem is he works SO much that he hardly gets to watch at home anyway.

royalasschergirl

Shiny_Rock
I''m so glad someone else posted this question! My boyfriend and I ask all the married/engaged folks we know this question, and always get varied responses! I am told I am supposed to get him an engagement gift, but he is not a jewelry person, so i know watch/ring is out. That said, i think the TV is a good idea, but it seems 1) a little pricey and 2). not a ''lasting gift'' like a ring or watch (ie, can''t be passed on) and 3) that it would be a gift for both of us since I am a bigger tech/gadget lover than he is!! So if it isn''t romantic or personal to him, is it still ok?!

Also, i''ve been told you are supposed to buy eachother wedding gifts -- so he has picked out mine (Royal Asscher studs to go with a Royal Asscher e-ring) and i''m thrilled!! but for a wedding gift i have the same question/problem as the engagement gift. What is a good sentimental type of gift for a man if he isn''t a jewelry wearer?!

I could see doing a TV type thing for either engagement or wedding, but not for both -- at least one has to be sentimental!! Any ideas?!! :)

SJS1234

Shiny_Rock
I just remember another REALLY REALLY nice and thoughtful gift for "him" --- especially if he travels with work, though I think it''s a good idea anyway ---- a really really nice compass (Tiffanys has one, though not sure of the price), so he can always find his way home...... or just so he can always know which direction is home when he''s away -- that kind of thing, you know. I know it''s not "fun" for him, but it''s definitely something he can keep forever.

Whatch''all think?
(like that southern drawl?)

Where can I find a cheerleader outfit? :)

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Handmade 24K y/g chain, about 22 inches in length.

cheers--Sharon

ivanadiamond

Brilliant_Rock
I didn''t know you were supposed to buy him an engagement gift
emembarrassed.gif
, but as a wedding gift I would like to either buy him the tuxedo or suit he will wear at our wedding, a nice watch, cufflings or a plasma...and I know he would want the plasma over any thing else...it''s his bling bling he says :)

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Fredericks of Hollywood has some fun outfits...nurse, maid, police officer
11.gif
LOL

The TV idea is my favorite, but I know, the $$$$
15.gif
I'm a girly girl and for my 30th Birthday I really wanted a Big Screen TV and hubby surprised me with a small jewelry box with a pic of the TV in it and delivery the next day! That was 10 years ago and it's still going strong!!! There is a testament for the Mitsubishi brand. People have always had a good laugh that the lady of the house is the TV nut, and not the man.

We didn't do the engagement or wedding gift thing, there was no money for anything, just a fun honeymoon. Over the years I have given hubby a signet ring which he actually likes and wears daily and the watch of his dreams on his 40th Birthday, a Breitling. If I was doing this today and decided to give him a gift it would probably be a set of cufflinks with his initials or a small diamond in each one. That would be something special he'd always have. I also like the money clip idea and the compass
emlove.gif
Another modern version of the compass, a GPS would be fun too. Hubby loves his GPS!

Good luck with whatever you choose and have fun
35.gif

Billyba36

Rough_Rock
When I got engaged the first time around I got a nice watch as a gift from my then-fiancee.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
It''s not really an engagement gift per se, but my g/f has been talking about letting me buy some car parts for my car. I''m willing to give them up to give her more money for the wedding, but she likes how the car will look if I modify it and in the grand scheme of things, it''s not that much money. I think she feels a little guilty cuz all my savings went into her ring. Plus, she drives teh car everyday now. Hmmm, I think I''m I''m getting ripped here.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/18/2005 11
6.gif
7:37 AM
Author: Cath
Am I in the minority? I didn''t get my husband anything when we got engaged... I had never heard of a man getting an engagement gift?? Is this a fairly ''modern'' thing or at least not very common?

We didn''t exchange wedding gifts either (although I had heard about those) -- we didn''t have much savings since we were young. What we did budget out of our savings we put towards the wedding and honeymoon -- which was worth it to us!
My husband and I didn''t exchange wedding gifts either. We were students and eloped in vegas. most of our money went towards our trip, food, and fun stuff. We also paid for our tuition each month with cash rather applying for student loans and I''d rather have a debt-free education than another trinket
2.gif
so this was the best route for us.

utah22

Rough_Rock
SJS...

What about a nice new set of golf clubs? I know that''s tough for you ladies to pick out for us, but maybe a nice new set of Callaway, Ben Hogans, or Ping irons... or even just a really nice new driver. Guys love that kind of stuff... and if you go that route, you can usually get a nice new club via eBay (or set of irons) for a decent price without breaking the bank like you would with a plasma....

or... if he''s a gadget kind of guy, ipod has a very cool new ipod with color screen & can download pictures too. up to 40 and 60GB of song play too.

I''m a big fan of the golf clubs though.... if my g/f got me clubs, or better yet a country club membership somewhere, oh baby!!!
31.gif
31.gif
30.gif
31.gif
31.gif

chantal990

Shiny_Rock
If all goes according to plan wedding and honeymoon location wise then my darling one will be getting a big game fishing trip off the coast of Florida as part of our honeymoon as his wedding gift. If not then who knows???????????????????????????????????????????????????

P.S. Still haven''t found an engagement gift yet.

NyssaLynne

Shiny_Rock
Although I did buy him the ring for our engagement, we did not exchange wedding gifts. Our destination wedding in Jamaica was our gift to each other. And the wonderful memories we have of our tropical wedding in paradise.

Chrisk327

Rough_Rock
Mine Fiancee bought me a ring for our engagement 1 year after.

Its a nice Benchmark band in whitegold with a bunch of tiny diamonds going around. I wwear it on my right hand

I think it was a nice gift. Electronics are nice, but they don''t last, and its something I would buy myself.

Sparkster

Brilliant_Rock
It''s not tradition to buy a guy something for an engagement. I approached my guy and said I would like to buy him a gift (digital camera). He loved the idea of it, especially because it was so unexpected.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results