shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald Cut Experts Weigh in!!

SJ3

Rough_Rock
So I am looking at three diamonds, as I am typing this JA is getting me a Gemologist Report and an ASET Test. Once I get those I will attach them to the thread as well.

Thank you in advance for your help on this and also thank you to all the people on this site who have posted some amazing info. Originally she wanted an emerald cut then for a few minutes leaned on radiant, after viewing them both in person she wanted the elegance of an emerald and because its different and you dont see it as much. Anyway here we are and I have it narrowed down to three.

1) http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/2.00-carat-d-color-vs1-clarity-sku-294144

2) http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/2.01-carat-d-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-215881

3) http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/2.01-carat-f-color-vs1-clarity-sku-323713

One of these is more expense then the other two that doesn't matter to me if that's the best one I will get that one, if the cheaper one is better I will get that.

Anyway, I know without those tests back it will be guessing a bit but love to hear some opinions.

Thanks!

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
Of the three, I would take the F VS1. Nice proportions. Good luck!

SJ3

Rough_Rock
Thanks, its funny that's the one JA found for me and so far I like that one and its cheaper then the other 2 I am looking at.

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
SJ3|1403271167|3697189 said:
Thanks, its funny that's the one JA found for me and so far I like that one and its cheaper then the other 2 I am looking at.

One of them I wouldn't even consider. The other is overkill. The F stone is a no brainier :).

SJ3

Rough_Rock
Im assuming you are thinking the VVS2 is overkill?

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
SJ3|1403271727|3697196 said:
Im assuming you are thinking the VVS2 is overkill?

:)

If you're going for the F, I would have them pull it from the website.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SJ3|1403266247|3697155 said:
So I am looking at three diamonds, as I am typing this JA is getting me a Gemologist Report and an ASET Test. Once I get those I will attach them to the thread as well.

Thank you in advance for your help on this and also thank you to all the people on this site who have posted some amazing info. Originally she wanted an emerald cut then for a few minutes leaned on radiant, after viewing them both in person she wanted the elegance of an emerald and because its different and you dont see it as much. Anyway here we are and I have it narrowed down to three.

1) http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/2.00-carat-d-color-vs1-clarity-sku-294144

2) http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/2.01-carat-d-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-215881

3) http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/2.01-carat-f-color-vs1-clarity-sku-323713

One of these is more expense then the other two that doesn't matter to me if that's the best one I will get that one, if the cheaper one is better I will get that.

Anyway, I know without those tests back it will be guessing a bit but love to hear some opinions.

Thanks!

Hi SL,

I am looking forward to seeing the ASET images when you have them, I think you have picked three diamonds with great potential here. With EC's and other shapes that can vary so much, personally I don't worry if the clarity happens to be very high such as VVS etc as in these shapes as long as the clarity is of a high grade, it's important to concentrate on the looks and performance of the diamond as well as the colour, so as one is VVS for an EC, that's absolutely fine. I think let's see what the ASET images show but it sounds to be as if you might have one in mind as your winner... :tongue:

SJ3

Rough_Rock
Thanks Lorelei!

I will post as soon as I get them they pulled the Diamonds yesterday should have them Mon-Tues. I was worried about clarity due to the open table, so at first I wasnt even considering VS1 but being the cut is so important I have been focusing on that lately more then keeping it at VVS2.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SJ3|1403281464|3697281 said:
Thanks Lorelei!

I will post as soon as I get them they pulled the Diamonds yesterday should have them Mon-Tues. I was worried about clarity due to the open table, so at first I wasnt even considering VS1 but being the cut is so important I have been focusing on that lately more then keeping it at VVS2.

You are welcome! I think as long as the clarity is VS or higher with an EC, you * should* be fairly safe for an eye clean stone, but there can be exceptions of course, that's why I always consider VVS especially in large EC's such as the size you are considering just in case a VS isn't eye clean and/ or the buyer has sharp eyes. Finding a well cut large EC can be a challenge so having as broad a range as possible with colour, clarity ( VS +) and carat weight can help the process by providing as many diamonds as possible to choose from.

SJ3

Rough_Rock
Got ya that was my worry thats why I was only looking at VVS2s at the beginning but there are some VS1s that are nice that were suggested. I am waiting for the Gemologist and ASET test back on the cleanness and light data. Good thing is JA has a great return policy if I dont like it.

SJ3

Rough_Rock
So its done I went with this one.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/2.01-carat-f-color-vs1-clarity-sku-323713

I will say I am very happy with my experience at JA. They talked me out of a higher dollar diamond for ones that had better cuts. This one was the lowest price of the 3 that I looked at but it was the favorite of the phone reps. After getting the Gemologist report and the ASET back it performed better then any of the others I looked at too!

I wanted to thank this site also, I would not have known what to look for and at if it wasnt for the advice and all the reading I did here.

Sometimes its to much and you second guess everything, but in the end I am happy!

Thanks again! :D

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many congratulations, please post some photos when the ring is completed! :wavey:

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
SJ3|1403734951|3701084 said:
So its done I went with this one.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/2.01-carat-f-color-vs1-clarity-sku-323713

I will say I am very happy with my experience at JA. They talked me out of a higher dollar diamond for ones that had better cuts. This one was the lowest price of the 3 that I looked at but it was the favorite of the phone reps. After getting the Gemologist report and the ASET back it performed better then any of the others I looked at too!

I wanted to thank this site also, I would not have known what to look for and at if it wasnt for the advice and all the reading I did here.

Sometimes its to much and you second guess everything, but in the end I am happy!

Thanks again! :D

Congratulations-- I love this stone! Can't wait to see your ring when its done!!!

SJ3

Rough_Rock
Will do, I have a Tacori setting that its going into, I actually have a twist on it though they are doing a few things custom for me:)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SJ3|1403784393|3701379 said:
Will do, I have a Tacori setting that its going into, I actually have a twist on it though they are doing a few things custom for me:)

Very cool, I look forward to seeing the finished result!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's sort of too late now, I suppose, since your mind is made up but can you please post the ASET of all 3 ECs?

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations! I'm not an EC expert, but I definitely think that was the right decision. The symmetry on the first one seemed off and it seemed dark. The D VVS1 was a little elongated. The F VS1 has nice proportions, nice symmetry and appears clean.

Any French cuts or step-cut traps going with this stone?

SJ3

Rough_Rock
While not perfect I am happy with them for an emerald, I compared it to one that Goodoldgold thought was top notch and it was pretty close from an ASET standpoint. My greens were a little brighter then his I am not sure if thats good or not.

SJ3

Rough_Rock
Its in!

The one thing I learned, Iphones cannot take a good pic of a diamond, it keeps trying to focus and then gets funny. Anyway here are a few shots, I will take some with my regular camera later.

WOW it looks better in person then I expected. You always hear that emeralds dont really have fire just large flashes of light. This one has both, I was so surprised to see how much sparkle it had beyond those big flashes.The gemologist report had the same opinion.

I looks absolutely perfect in person and I wanted to thank everyone who steered me toward the F diamond, the cut was worth it.

More pics to follow soon!

_19690.jpg

_19691.jpg

_19692.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SJ3|1404217696|3704372 said:
Its in!

The one thing I learned, Iphones cannot take a good pic of a diamond, it keeps trying to focus and then gets funny. Anyway here are a few shots, I will take some with my regular camera later.

WOW it looks better in person then I expected. You always hear that emeralds dont really have fire just large flashes of light. This one has both, I was so surprised to see how much sparkle it had beyond those big flashes.The gemologist report had the same opinion.

I looks absolutely perfect in person and I wanted to thank everyone who steered me toward the F diamond, the cut was worth it.

More pics to follow soon!

Many congratulations, can't wait for more pics!!

SJ3

Rough_Rock
Thanks its annoying how bad those pics look compared to how good it looks in person.

SJ3

Rough_Rock
Thanks! I will try to get a few more loose pics (cant just take it out of hiding easily have to wait until she is not around). Then I will take a bunch after its set!

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
SJ3|1404239849|3704613 said:
Thanks! I will try to get a few more loose pics (cant just take it out of hiding easily have to wait until she is not around). Then I will take a bunch after its set!
So which Tacori setting? I can't stand the suspense!

SJ3

Rough_Rock
starryeyed|1404240342|3704622 said:
SJ3|1404239849|3704613 said:
So which Tacori setting? I can't stand the suspense!

Haha me too, I have to wait for the setting to be made since the one I picked is not meant for an Emerald.

http://www.tacori.com/ht2510pr12x.html

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's going to look AMAZING -- I don't usually pick Tacori, but this is a setting that is beautiful and will look even better with your EC!! Can't wait for you to post photos of the final ring!! :love: :love:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Were they able to swap out the brilliant cut side stones for ones that will match your step cut.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
With an ASET this nice I'm not surprised at all that the stone is a knock out. GREAT CHOICE!

323713aset.jpg

I do hope they can use step cut sidestones. Who is the vendor ordering your Tacori setting for you?

Also are you sending the stone to Tacori for them to set (good option if it's available), or are you sending the setting and stone back to JA for them to set the stone in it?

If someone other than JA is setting the stone you will need insurance through Jewelers Mutual in place before the actual physical setting of the stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results