shape
carat
color
clarity

Elongated Cushion - Which would you choose? Help a Newbie!

stbms82

Rough_Rock
I'm helping my sister's boyfriend surprise her with an elongated cushion & he's narrowed it down to 2 contenders- both almost the same price (around $13k). Setting will be a rose gold Harry Winston style halo (small melee & delicate metalwork). My sister does not prefer one style of cushion cut, she likes both antique & modern style equally. She mostly just wants to stay away from anything with the "crushed ice" or pinfire look- and definitely has her heart set on elongated, not square. In all honesty, I think her boyfriend & I care a lot more about the specs than she does - she just wants a pretty, sparkly stone!

Unfortunately, we don't have ASET images & the actual diamond images aren't great either, so I know it's hard to give a real evaluation, but we would both appreciate any insight you might have!

Option #1:
2.3 Ct Cushion
Graded by EGL as G VS2, but broker admits its closer to an H SI1

Pros:
Larger Size for same $$
He will be able to see this stone in person

Cons:
EGL Cert
I haven't seen a cushion diagram like this before, it looks like a cross between a radiant & a cushion? Not an issue for my sister as long as isn't too "crushed icey".
Do you think the table seems a bit large & stone a bit deep? Interesting combo, not sure what effect that has on it's appearance..

option_1_cert.jpg
option_1_close_up.jpg
option_1_0.jpg

Option #2:
2.01 Ct Old Mine
H SI2, Broker says totally eye clean

Pros:
GIA Cert
Definitely not a "crushed ice" style
Same jeweler where purchasing setting, would be nice to do everything at one place.

Cons:
Smaller than other option for same $$
Hard to get a good feel for the stone, since it's already set.. but will be in similar setting cast in rose gold
He won't be able to see this diamond in person before purchase, but jeweler will reset/exchange no questions asked if he doesn't like it

option_2_gia.jpg
option_2_close_up.jpg

Thank you so much in advance for your thoughts and help!! We both appreciate it more than you know! :clap:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: Elongated Cushion - Which would you choose? Help a Newb

I wouldn't buy the EGL stone. But that doesn't mean, I WOULD buy the GIA stone. Picture doesn't show enough of the stone/faceting.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock

Of those two, I would choose the GIA cushion. I like the facet pattern of an old cushion versus the more modern cuts. I might be a little biased though because I have one!

Madison2

Brilliant_Rock

Being that you dont have asset images, if I had to choose between the two I would go wiith the GIA diamond.
With EGL you dont know what your buying and it will be difficult to upgrade in the future as many jewelers dont give good return on an EGL stone.
Good luck!

stbms82

Rough_Rock

Thank you so much for your responses so far!! I'm leaning toward the GIA diamond as well, but I have an Old Mine myself, so I was worried I was just being biased!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results