shape
carat
color
clarity

Elara, Flanders, Queen of Hearts--HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sparklyandsquare

Rough_Rock
Hi! I'm a newbie and need some help. My b.f. and I are thinking of getting engaged. I'm doing some research because when he does decide to pop the question, I don't want him spending a ton of $ on a ring.

That being said: Both he & I know I'm pretty picky regarding the style of ring I'll like. I don't necessarily want something big (actually I don't really even like rings over 1 ct.) but I DO know somewhat what I want regarding style:

--e-ring: Square solitaire on medium thick platinum band with relatively low rise beaded prongs

--band: 5-6 diamonds (total weight 1 ct. or less) prong set in platinum

I originally thought I wanted a princess cut, but was never super impressed with the "sparkle." (btw, I've been trying on .75 ct. rings--my best guess is he'll probably go for something between .65-.95 ct) I also was looking at Lucida/Trellis settings, but haven't found a place to try one on (no, we're not in the Tiffany's pricerange).

BUT! On Sunday I opened the Washington Post mag and found an ad for Elara diamonds. I checked out the website and I LOVE them. (photo of ring & band at bottom of this post) I emailed Elara and asked for a location near me. They replied that The Tiny Jewel Box in DC was my closest dealer so I checked out their website.

Unfortunately it looks like the rings are out of our range. The ones listed on the site were:
Ring: $12160, Center stone = 1.28 carat F/VS2 GIA certified diamond set in platinum

Band: $4195, Diamonds = 1.22 carats total weight, platinum

Granted both of these rings are larger than what I'd go for, so I guess I'll contact the store and see how much it would run with the ring being .65-1 ct and the band being 1 ct total weight. But, I must admit my hopes aren't high.

SO-I'm trying to find this dreamy look for a lot less money. I think Flanders is the same cut as Elara, but I'm having a hard time finding info. (and sites like Whiteflash list it as an option but have none in stock). How does Queen of Hearts look compared to an Elara? Are there other square cut stones that look kind of like this? (I don't like the ones with the "steps" like an emerald cut would have, so I think that eliminates Aascher..right?) I found a post on one called "Regent" (i think) but it's not quite square enough.

The other problem is I LOVE the setting on the Elara rings I've included with the post. Does anyone know where I could get a very similar setting?

Last question: is there any good site that people sell divorce rings, etc. on? Maybe I could find one there?

I'd really appreciate any help. Since I'm so picky, I know my b.f. wants me to steer him in the right direction, but I don't want to steer him to elara if it's too darn expensive. He'd probably overextend himself which is bad for him and bad for our financial start as a couple.

Thanks!

elaras.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whia! You may want to search PS for some "Elara" posts (really, some are a good to know, regardless). This is among the most widely advertised of the branded square cuts - I would say - but not the most brilliant or the best priced. There is a serious premium for the name.

If you have time for shopping aroud, you may want to gaige this premium and get more info on the typical light return of these branded cuts.

Out of your list, The Queen of Harts may be the best in the optics department (Elara and Flanders are the same cut, with a dispute on the patent keeping the neams and makers different). The QOH was designed to match the light return of ideal cut round diamonds - the highest standard yet. And there is a new version of the cut comming, with a final touch on optical performance
1.gif
These models shoud come at a price comparable to Harts and Arrows, ideal cut rounds (look at online prices, not Harts on Fire or such).

It is not hard to fall for those adds - the pictures are darn nice. It is good to have a look on different styles - I supose.

limey

Shiny_Rock
Look at GoodOldGold. Look at Fancy Shapes in the For Sale section. I am in the same boat, wife likes square, but I have not been impressed with Princess or Radiant when compared to ideal cut rounds but I loved the Hearts on Fire "Dream" diamond. The Dream is a square with the corners cut and has a wonderful look to it, but has a VERY high price tag. Then I stumbled into PriceScope and found Jonathan at GoodOldGold.

As for the setting, there are plenty of settings as nice as that available from D'Vatche etc, but take a look at some of the Whiteflash own designs too. Look at the eye-candy thread in the "show me the ring" forum.

Finally, there are good Princesses out there and the likes of Whiteflash, GoodOldGold, Niceice and DiamondBrokers of Florida will help you find them.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Me personally, I would never recommend the Hearts on Fire Dream diamond to most, because I have a radiant which is only a 2B cut, but it out sparkled the HOF stone. Also, the HOF is ridiculously priced (Like the Tiffany's Lucida almost, which I would RATHER get), and it was really no different than some princesses they had. I went to see it at Michael C. Fina with the little viewer and everything and was modestly impressed, but soon forgot about it, for it wasn't that memorable in person really. Service also was slow and impossible from HOF's side, not MCF...

As for the Elara. Waste of time. Complete. They are advertising, but what they should spend their money on is CUSTOMER SERVICE!!! Too many issues with them, see other searched for Elara to get the whole story. I contacted them three times, three months agao and STILL haven't heard from them. I wanted a D-F, 1.75-2ct, so I could have really brought them a decent size comission or whatever, but NOTHING. I also contacted them again for a eternity band w-ring, still nothing...(shocker) Never saw one, but go for a Flander instead, trust me!

GOG has some really great shaped stones, so I really suggest trying there. Regents, Flanders, Old Miners Cut, Queen of Hearts and Princess may be your bet. You say they don't sparkle enough, but my friend's princess stone would disagree...It's a phenomenal D, 1ct that shines to high heaven. I personally didn't like the triangular facets and the sharpness of the look and corners. But if you like them, you can get a nice sparkler within good cut parameters and be very very happy.

Also look at the Lucere, and the Flanders (me I would choose Flanders for higher sparkle) They also have a new stone out that is shaped like an octogonal stop sign called the 88 Diamond, but I think that can only be purchased in the Carribean and in Las Vegas and Key West.

Here's the PS link for that one:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/anyone-heard-of-the-88-diamond.13961/

And just note that the Flanders and the Elara ARE THE SAME!!!!! Here's the link to that discussion:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/anyone-have-cut-outlines-of-elara-vs-flanders.13482/

wallace

Shiny_Rock
angryfire.gif
angryfire.gif
angryfire.gif
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY _ I LIVE IN DC AND HAD HORRIBLE PROBLEMS WITH TINY JEWEL BOX!!! PLEASE TALK TO ME BEFORE YOU GO THERE!!!

I HAD AN ELARA E_RING AND HAD TO RETURN IT AFTER 5 MONTHS OF PROBLEMS WITH THEM!!!

Now, I will read the rest of your post - please feel free to PM me.
I have had recently to deal with a lot of the jewlers in this area. Best, JBR
angryfire.gif
angryfire.gif
angryfire.gif

wallace

Shiny_Rock
Fink's in Virginia (closest Dulles) also sells Elara and there are several stores in MAryland that do, too. I will look for the list. GO to the Elara website and punch in MD and VA separately for a list of all the stores. You will find better stones, selection, and prices of Elara at these other locations as honest and good customer service. Solomon brothers online has a selection of Elara's in a lower colour range than most of the stores keep in stock but from what I can tell, they have not adjusted their prices accordingly. Each Elara dealer will have totally different prices and quality of rings as they pruchase the rings themselves and are not subject pricing regulation form Elara.

Elara is an expensive branded diamond. It is the Flander Brilliant Cut. You can find, difficult though it may be, FB (flanders brilliants) that are "generically" cut through several of the vendors at this site. I have started looking into it myself since I am now ringless and I too loved the look of the square brilliant. However, since marriage has a time-component to it, you may want to consider a few other styles, like listed above, in order to have a ring to wear in a reasonable amount of time. Personally, I am taking all the time in the world becuase I had what I wanted and now I do not know how to replace it and feel completely satisfied. I do like the Asscher and have been looking but finally decided to wait til I can get the carat size I want - the Asscher cut is an entirely different beast.

I just adored the setting, too! In the end, that was one of the major reasons we decided to pay the high price for Elara. You can have a jewler custom make you a setting to look like the Elara setting (I know someone fantastic here in DC - PM me if you want suggestions) - but this takes time, you need to have stones already, and custom work has its own set of headaches - no matter how much you like or trust your jewler. But it one of the only options to get that setting again.

I have found a few settings that have the same idea but don't look nearly the same - I am busy trying to figure out how to post pics of them for Bearman.

How did you post those pictures?!

sparklyandsquare

Rough_Rock
I'm at work, so I'll respond quickly to a few key pts.

a) thanks for the head's up on Tiny Jewel Box. I'll contact you later for more details.

b) I was able to post photos by using internet explorer. When you go to compose your message, there's a button that says "attach file" You have to push this button, browse for your file & attach it before writing your message. Also, make sure your photo is in a supported format: .jpg, .gif, etc.

will write more later...thanks for the help!

wallace

Shiny_Rock
Here are some pictures of settings I have been collecting - none are directly like the Elara but they have some of the same qualities as I liked in that setting: (hope this works)

gemnation lattice trellis.JPG

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Wow, what a shocker...it's the...LUCIDA!!! Hands down THE most popular setting for square stones I believe. I like it, but I too am square stone girl here, and I was looking at this more simplified look, maybe this would do as well...

This pic has Radiant cut stones (which can be cut square, by the way) and they sparkle like cracked glass...you can get a glimpse at mine on this post:

Radiant

I think narrowing down your stone is the FIRST line of business, and setting can always come later. I got my ring in a temp setting and STILL and working on a custome setting... (also an option for you!)

Radiant cut rings.jpg

wallace

Shiny_Rock
Nicrez - I was trying to post a file with several pictures, some a little more intersting than the THE MOST POPULAR square setting on earth. I guess I will PM them so I do not bore the world with a long list of choices. Personally, I find that it helps me to have setting ideas while shopping for stones so that I know what is possible. Your ring picture is just the kind of thing I have been looking for and was trying to suggest. Thank you.

PS - the setting is actually lattice trellis form gemnation.

sparklyandsquare

Rough_Rock
Okay, I'm about to commit complete blasphemy on this forum. Here goes:

In many ways, the setting is at least as important to me as the stone, if not more. I actually tend to notice my friend's settings more than the quality of their stones. To me, the style of the setting and shape of the stone is really what gives a ring its personality. Of course I want a nice stone, but I don't think I'll be able to think of it separately from a setting. Also, since I'm not the one buying the diamond and I (sentimentally) am not real big on changing the ring after I get it, I don't think a temp setting will work for my situation.

I like the Lucida setting a lot, and plain Lucida/Lucida knockoff settings are my "backups" for the Elara setting. It's just that many of the Lucida knockoffs I've found at BlueNile, ScheinerDiamonds, etc. don't quite have the great lines of the original. Actually, the Trellis from GemNation that Wallace posted has about the best lines of any I've seen (of course it's $800 more but looks like it's probably worth it) The Elara setting just seems to have a little more "oomph." It's unfortunate that their customer service sounds so poor because the design of the setting is great. :(

Back to stones: is there anyplace in the brick & mortar world that I can go to see some of these fancy cut stones? It seems like most chain stores have no modified squares to see (flanders, QOH, etc) so it's really hard for me to gain an appreciation of what they look like. Does anyone know a good place in the DC metro area to see any of these stones?

Thanks again for all of your help so far. Everyone on these forums is so helpful!!!

wallace

Shiny_Rock
Whiteflash: Reverse V double prong Vatche

reverse V dbl prong Vatche.JPG

wallace

Shiny_Rock
Whiteflash: Whiteflash design U-prong with detail

three stone u-pring detail - whiteflash.JPG

wallace

Shiny_Rock
Whiteflash: whiteflash design - U-prong solitaire (w/o detail) avail. w/ detail

U-Prong (diam. mount) Whiteflash.JPG

wallace

Shiny_Rock
This looks promising - Whiteflash: Whiteflash design W prong

W prong Whiteflash.JPG

wallace

Shiny_Rock
The ubiquitous Vatche X-prong - but available with lots of options like pave band, knife edge band and a few other mods...THis pic. is also from Whiteflash

Vatche X-prong.JPG

wallace

Shiny_Rock
SND Gems - Vatche Truffle - also available for solitaire

Vatche truffle.JPG

wallace

Shiny_Rock
Whiteflash - my fav, but certainly not everyone's cup of tea - the Laureato Regal - doesn't look like it will work with cut-cornered stones like FB but it could be modified to accomodate...?

laureato_regal.JPG

wallace

Shiny_Rock
Mark Morrell - lovely.

mark_morrell_setting.JPG

wallace

Shiny_Rock
I am still having trouble posting the Leon Mege picture - I'll work on it. I have looked at hundreds of settings and these are the best I came up with - really the one Nicrez posted is the closest to what we have been talking about.

sparklyandsquare

Rough_Rock
So far I like the one from Gemnation that Wallace posted the best (other than the Elara setting of course!)

I'd kind of like the Vatche reverse V except I don't want small diamonds on the side of the setting (I want just one square cut middle stone...no side stones whatsoever)

B.F. is going fishin' with the boys this weekend, so I think I'll go window shopping! :)

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Wallace, with all those pics, you have truly impressed me with your hunter/gatherer skills both! WOW!!!

Aweaver, I was in the same boat as you. I had a TOUGH time getting any B&M store to show me any good square stones, OTHER than princesses. I found two radiant deals, and I think there are 3 or so "official" the Radiant Cut vendors in NYC, and many other random radiant and OECs, possibly a VERY few Flanders cuts, and some other squares, but it's such a HUNT!

GOG seems to be the best source on the east coast.

wallace

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Nicrez - I guess I am a bit of of a tomboy
rolleyes.gif

I'm really getting interested in these radiants!
twirl.gif

sparklyandsquare

Rough_Rock
Went to "the mall" tonight. Although I had relatively low expectations, I had a free night and decided to go to a jewelry store in the Annapolis Mall for one of those diamond vendor shows. I figured even if I didn't get to see a flanders, at least they'd have a few square radiants I could see...

NOT!

Nothing but Princesses :( I went into about 7 stores--2 stores had one radiant a piece. One was a rectangle, helzberg diamonds had a smaller square that they let me see under the scope. I'm not sure if it's table was too big for a well-cut radiant, or if I just need to get a radiant with a table smaller than it's supposed to be. I'll have to go look at the charts again and see how the cuts are supposed to go because it looked to flat on the top. (granted this was under the scope...it was a very small stone so I couldn't tell a lot about it with the naked eye).

I've got to go out to the stores in Virginia this weekend and see if I have any luck!

sparklyandsquare

Rough_Rock
Okay, maybe one of you know the answer:

I looked at the cut charts and think I may prefer the Flanders after all, followed by the QOH. (or maybe that Jubilee if GOG would put it back up!!)

I emailed Jonathan at GOG for an inventory of flanders, but he's on vacation until next week and my OCD is really setting in. Do you know if they ever post their inventory or (do i remember correctly from an archive) does Flanders Brilliant forbid them from doing so?

I get very annoyed when I can't find ALL info. on the web! I'm such a NetBrat!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results