shape
carat
color
clarity

EGLUSA vs EGLforeign vs GIA

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nicknomo

Shiny_Rock
I''ve heard that EGL''s grading quality is a tad bit lower than GIA''s. I sort of realized this when I saw a D SI1 (EGL foreign)with a black inclusion I could make out with the naked eye (and my eyesight is worse than avg).

Now, obviously there is some "fudging" going on... Is there some loose but useful generalization for Color and Clarity grading? Is EGLUSA often 1 color/clarity grade lower than GIA, or something to that effect?

I know there seems to be like a 10% price difference... which seems about 1 box down and to the right on the Rap sheet.

Can someone clarify on this fudge factor?

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Although not an expert myself, my understanding is the GIA uses three graders in their certification process to ensure the accuracy of the rating and that, when a stone is considered borderline, they opt to go for the lesser grading. I don't know how many graders the EGL uses for each stone, but my take is they tend to grade the stones more lenient in that borderline stones are graded better than they would be graded by the GIA (although some say that getting an EGL USA cert is usually a little more strict than their European counterpart, so they can often be great deals). Exceptions aside, my guess is that, to compare prices in most cases, you need to look at EGL stones that are one grade higher in either/both color or clarity.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
My impression is that 8 out of 10 times the EGL-USA labs and GIA/AGS agree on the grading.

Then, 2 out of 10 times, on borderline stones, the GIA will opt for the conservative side while the EGL opts for the liberal side.

Because EGL stones tend to be discounted a bit more (8-10% neighborhood?), this means that you can pick up some deals on a properly graded EGL diamond.

On the other hand, GIA/AGS is a safer bet for overall conservative grading, which shows up in the higher premiums charged for them.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
When you stray out of the EGL-USA labs, things get a bit more confusing.

I don't consider myself experienced enough with EGL-Antwerp certs to render a valid opinion, but I have seen enough EGL-Israel certs to say that I consider that group to be a bunch of pathological liars.

Brian Knox

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi,

I agree with Rich about EGL Israel reports.

However, on the EGL USA, I would put them at less than 80% in agreement with GIA.

If I had to put a number on it (and now I do since chiming in) I would put the number of agreement around 30-40%

I would like to see what other industry people think of this question.

I feel most think that EGL is much closer than 15-20 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results