shape
carat
color
clarity

EGL legitimacy?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lil_Dal

Rough_Rock
Just wondering if you pros could tell me if EGL is legitimate?

Thanks!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not only that, but also one of the largest (STATS).

You will find allot of talk about how their grades relate to other labs'... and so on.
read.gif

JHeebner

Rough_Rock
In the trade, word is they overgrade. At least that's the most common assessment I hear when the EGL name comes up. However, a lot of people still do business with them, so ... the truth is likely somewhere in between.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 6/28/2004 5:31:16 PM JHeebner wrote:

so ... the truth is likely somewhere in between.

----------------

But the diamonds listed with EGL certificates are also less expensive, as a rule.

One may (legitimately) think that only less-than-greta pieces would be sent to the EGL in the first place, but I would not cut a conclusion so clearly. Not only there seems to be some difference of standards between different EGL labs (branches in the US, Europe and Israel) but those EGL stones can turn out to be realy good buys.
2.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bet you would ask just how different GIA's and EGL's opinions on a diamond's grades could be and if the discount on non-GIA (or AGS) grades is...
2.gif

As far as I know, there is (nor could be) some public stats on this, but it seems that the sellers' decision between the two and the pricing does reflect some prevailing opinions of the trade.

read.gif
Here are two PS threads which dealt with the matter in some detail:

See Garry's posts here

and This thread

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The price differential of diamonds, in general, between stones graded at EGL, GAI and AGS paints a very accurate picture of how the diamond trade understands how each lab grades. EGL is generally the more liberal, GIA in between and AGS slightly more strict.

This is IN GENERAL... It may not apply to your diamond or to any single diamond. I just saw a diamond GIA graded VS1, that the other two mentioned labs graded SI1. I found it incredible. While I must assume it is a mistake on GIA's part, there is no way to make an easy correction in such a case. That's why we must keep the general nature of these comments in mind as there are exceptions to nearly every generalization.

The better the diamond deal sounds, the more likely there is some liberal grading involved. This is a generalization, but there is some truth to it, too.

JHeebner

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 6/29/2004 3:36:13 PM oldminer wrote:

The price differential of diamonds, in general, between stones graded at EGL, GAI and AGS paints a very accurate picture of how the diamond trade understands how each lab grades. EGL is generally the more liberal, GIA in between and AGS slightly more strict.

The better the diamond deal sounds, the more likely there is some liberal grading involved. This is a generalization, but there is some truth to it, too.----------------

Agree completely.

stillqueasy

Rough_Rock
I'm no pro -- but in my search for the right engagement ring, I've heard that grading varies between EGLs offices. I've heard NY is okay but to stay away from the EGL stones graded in Israel.

Can someone confirm this?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results