shape
carat
color
clarity

EC search... yet again

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
Last month, I came here for help to look for an EC. I found one that I LOVE, but I was hesitant to trade in my princess. So, FI managed to convince me to give it another month before I make the big purchase.

Fast forward to one month later, and YES, I still want an EC. Unfortunately the stone that I wanted was sold, and the vendor has nothing in house which is in the size range that I want (0.7-0.8 ct).
39.gif

The question part of the thread:
1. How often do vendors get new diamonds in, ECs in particular?
2. Should I just settle for the closest size diamond they have in stock? The only drawback is that the EC is a different cut to the one that I previously wanted.

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/12/2009 2:58:23 AM
Author:cindygenit
Last month, I came here for help to look for an EC. I found one that I LOVE, but I was hesitant to trade in my princess. So, FI managed to convince me to give it another month before I make the big purchase.

Fast forward to one month later, and YES, I still want an EC. Unfortunately the stone that I wanted was sold, and the vendor has nothing in house which is in the size range that I want (0.7-0.8 ct).
39.gif

The question part of the thread:
1. How often do vendors get new diamonds in, ECs in particular?
2. Should I just settle for the closest size diamond they have in stock? The only drawback is that the EC is a different cut to the one that I previously wanted.
Hi Cindy!

As to how often vendors get new EC's in, it very much depends on supply and availability.

1) If you are seriously looking it might be worth giving your chosen vendor the heads up to see what they can source for you.

2) I wouldn't settle, it might take a bit for everything to come together to find a diamond with everything you want but I would do your best to get it.

I can't remember, did you say you had viewed some EC's as a comparison exercise?

As to your selections they both have potential, the first is lighting up well in the middle on ASET but is showing less light return from the sides, it would be good to have someone check this for you to see how it looks in reality. I can't tell much from Jogia's photos. See what Karl says if he is able.

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
Lorelei,

These are the same candidates from my other thread. Karl has already given the thumbs up for the 1 ct and the 0.75 ct (the one I missed out on).

I did see all the ECs, and I kept looking at the 0.75 ct. The .86 ct looked MUCH bigger than the .75 though. That''s the main thing I remembered from that trip to Jogia hahah.

Thanks for the reply!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/12/2009 6:10:46 AM
Author: cindygenit
Lorelei,

These are the same candidates from my other thread. Karl has already given the thumbs up for the 1 ct and the 0.75 ct (the one I missed out on).

I did see all the ECs, and I kept looking at the 0.75 ct. The .86 ct looked MUCH bigger than the .75 though. That''s the main thing I remembered from that trip to Jogia hahah.

Thanks for the reply!
Thats right, the thread was a few weeks ago and the one with the bright red centre was ringing a bell as it was unusual. Can you go back to Jogia and take another look?

Lestat

Shiny_Rock
Hi Cindy,

I''m only a clueless newbie, but I''d like to put a couple points here for your consideration... These are my own personal opinions. Please take them with a grain of salt considering my lack of expertise.

For me, this policy on the Jogia website would be a deal-breaker: "Because of extra shipping and import charges, we don''t allow comparison shopping for diamonds in The International Selection." Basically, it reads to me that if you can''t find the right diamond in their current selection, you can browse the international list, but they won''t bring in stones for you to compare, only one, with a minimum $150 non-refundable deposit. I personally like to have 2 or 3 to choose between, but that''s maybe just me.

Please double-check the following information, but I''ve read on a few sites that loose diamonds imported into Australia incur no duty charges. You just pay a customs charge of around $50 and the 10% GST on top of your normal shipping charges. If this is the case, it might open up a few other vendors for your consideration who are open to bringing in more than one stone for comparison. Maybe if you''re not happy with the selection available at Jogia and are reluctant to shop overseas, you might find some other reputable vendors in Australia with a few more EC diamonds in stock? I''m not sure myself who else provides ASET images and Sarin reports here though...

Source: http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resources/tariff/chapter71goods_a.pdf
Source: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/1286248.html

By no means am I trying to sway you from your chosen vendor, I''m just offering my personal opinion. In my own buying experience, I found that most vendors tended to have a very small selection of emerald cut stones (if any) in stock as they are one of the "less popular" cuts. I had to have a few brought in from virtual inventory to find the right stone for me.

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Lestat,

I know what you mean. The inventory is SO limited. Especially with emeralds. I was also told that with the upgrade, I can only select from what they have in the inventory.

Would you mind sharing which vendor you bought your EC from? I might have to go another route and sell the princess privately, and buy my EC from the US or something. It is so much more inconvenient though, and I''m paranoid the diamond will get lost on its way here.
40.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2009 4:28:09 AM
Author: Lorelei

1) If you are seriously looking it might be worth giving your chosen vendor the heads up to see what they can source for you.

2) I wouldn''t settle, it might take a bit for everything to come together to find a diamond with everything you want but I would do your best to get it.
Agreed with Lorelei, with the assumption they''re willing to work with you without that issue Lestat pointed out.

You''re in Australia? Have you tried contacted Garry Holloway? His shop may not be near you but it would certainly be easier shipping and negotiating within the country than outside of it, I would think.
http://www.hollowaydiamonds.com.au/

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
39.gif

Jogia buys ECs and asschers twice a year only. Looks like I will have to wait quite a while.

Lestat

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/12/2009 8:20:42 AM
Author: cindygenit
Hi Lestat,

I know what you mean. The inventory is SO limited. Especially with emeralds. I was also told that with the upgrade, I can only select from what they have in the inventory.

Would you mind sharing which vendor you bought your EC from? I might have to go another route and sell the princess privately, and buy my EC from the US or something. It is so much more inconvenient though, and I''m paranoid the diamond will get lost on its way here.
40.gif

Hey Cindy,

I bought my EC from Whiteflash in the USA. They were the first to reply to my e-mail enquiries and were always extremely prompt in their replies. I also liked the live chat feature on their website as I could get quick answers to my questions if needed. They were happy to bring stones in for me to judge, however they charge return shipping on each one that you don''t select if it meets their criteria as a good stone. I just used the information and advice on Pricescope to narrow down the virtual list to a few stones, selected the ones out of that small list that I thought would be most likely to be well cut and had 3 diamonds shipped in and bought one of the 3 when it got the thumbs-up here. Here''s the thread: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/paging-strmrdr-and-any-other-emerald-cut-experts-help-with-3-stones-please-pics-aset-ideals.126547/

To be fair, I also considered Good Old Gold, they were very close in the running and the fact that they do video is a huge plus with EC diamonds. There isn''t really any reason why I wouldn''t consider them, but I would check with them on their policies because some of their policies only apply to certain shapes of diamond and others are at their discretion. They asked for a small deposit up-front, but I''m not sure if they charge return shipping on rejected diamonds, you''d have to check with them on that one.

My situation is a bit different to yours though, while at the same time being similar... I''m living in Australia now, but I''m a Canadian citizen, and planning on returning home next year. I decided to buy my diamond in the USA because of the larger selection, strong Aussie dollar and ease of having virtual stones shipped in to vendors for comparison. I used the free shipping from Whiteflash to send the diamond to Leon Mege who is making the ring, and I''ll have it shipped to my family in Canada until I can get there early next year and have the wedding there with my family. Canada has no duty on finished jewellery imported from the USA so I can have the complete ring sent to Canada with no taxes other than GST/PST. So as you can see, a bit similar but also different
21.gif

If I was having it sent to Australia, I would likely buy the diamond only and have it shipped here, and choose a setting in Australia since loose diamonds are duty free (please double-check if they are before purchase). I would make sure whoever is setting my diamond has insurance to cover it in case of damage, and have it appraised before setting.

By all means explore your local possibilities, especially if you''re most comfortable with that option. If you can find a vendor in Australia that will give you the information you need to make an informed choice, that would probably be best all-round.

Here''s something I thought of that seems a bit dodgy... I wonder if any of the popular USA vendors would allow you to pay only for the service of providing information (like ASET, Sarin, etc) and checking out a few stones, and then you could just have Jogia ship the chosen diamond in from the international virtual list? Just an idea, I don''t know if it''s even possible, but it might help you stay with your chosen vendor and get your trade-in, you''d have to ask around to see if it can be done.
21.gif

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results