shape
carat
color
clarity

eBay - Purchase

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gagrawal

Rough_Rock
I bought for $2400 the following:

Round Brilliant
VVS1
H
5.62x5.61x3.57
D-63.5%
T-59%
VG
VG
Girdle-M-STK
No Flour

Thanks a million!
PS - Please comment about price I paid.

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
Provided the information is correct, of course..............

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know about the price, however the stone might appear a little smaller for its weight due to its depth and its girdle.

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
DANGER WILL ROBINSON

The price seems a bit too low. Generally, when I see someone offering dollar bills for .50 cents, I get suspicious.

If you''d put a link to the auction up we could have a specific look.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Gyan,

Welcome to pricescope.

The reason for all of the qualified statements above is because the grading lab and cut information wasn''t included in your list of specs. These can matter tremendously. Here is a stone that''s more or less comparable to the specs you gave and it''s a little more money. If your stone has an excellent cut and the grading is accurate then you got a great deal. Cut issues can make a difference of 50% or more and inaccurate grading can result in another 50%. These combine to make a pretty big margin of error associated with any advise you get here. If you aren''t comfortable with your own expertise in grading, I strongly recommend that you hire the services of an independent expert before the return period expires. Minor grading differences can be very difficult for even experienced graders to recognize. Ebay has a bit of a reputation for sloppy grading but there are some excellent companies that sell there and there are good deals available for the careful shopper. I hope you found one.

Neil Beaty
Independent Appraisals in Denver

headlight

Ideal_Rock
The stone''s mm size should be around 6.8 for a .73 ct. stone, thus the issue with the (deep) depth and thick girdle.

Also, what concerns me is that they show three different pictures for this item, as there are diamonds in two different mountings shown in the ad (one is a cathedral setting and the other a stock 6-prong solitaire style), and yet another in the photo on the grading certificate.

I would do some extensive educating of yourself and researching about stones ASAP because once you receive the ring you can return within 5 days with an RA #, "for any reason" it states.

However, if you find that it is a good price via comparison shopping and like the stone when you get it, then don''t worry about it. You will have to see what it looks like in person. Even if it is two grades off on the certificate, you would still be looking at a VS1 stone which is very nice. As for color, if it is up to two grades off, then it would be a J color and you will have to decide if there is too much tint to it or not. Also, only you can decide if the slight reduction in mm size is of concern for you or not.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
I''m pretty sure that those pictures (minus the obviously graphicy one that looks just like something off of BlueNile.com) are not of a 0.73 carat stone in a size six setting. I have a size six setting with a 1.10 carat stone, and it looks much smaller relative to the ring than your stone does.

You''ll notice that although the seller doesn''t have any negative reviews, many mention that the ring wasn''t the same as the one pictured or that the diamond wasn''t what was advertised.

Also, the price would be really good for a stone with a widely-accepted certificate (GIA, AGS, etc.), but I''ve never heard of "GIG."

Get the stone appraised immediately upon receipt to see if it measures up. You might not have done terribly, but I doubt this is the steal of the century either. I think that the stone''s diameter is really the red flag in this case -- your stone only looks as big as a well cut 0.63 or 0.64 carat diamond, so why pay extra for weight you can''t see and which diminishes light return?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gyan
send it back ,i wouldn't even waste the money with an appraiser.this stone isn't what it appears to be....GIG cert ? you can get a lot better stone for the money with vendors here on ps.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
The diamond is deep cut and hiding weight in the girdle as well. Both areas for light loss. Meaning less sparklies than a better cut diamond. The diamond will also have a small appearance when compared to a well cut diamond of similar carat weight. A well cut .75 carat diamond should have a diameter closer to 5.9 to 6mm.

The seller has good feedback and offers a 5 day return period. If you aren''t satisfied with it, you can always ship it back and look for a better quality cut.
1.gif

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
I''m going to agree with everyone that says send it back.

Let''s talk about grading reports.
The top five companies issuing grading reports are as follows
1) GIA
2) GIA
3) GIA
4) GIA
5) GIA

LEt''s talk about grading clarities on diamonds.
A VVS sized imperfection is incredibly tiny- so much so that you could hide 100 such spots under a prong.
Yet here we have a company claiming that they can tell if a diamond is VVS "Graded as Mounting Permits" ( that means they checked the diamond while it was in a ring)

Oh, I forgot, the lab that issued such a ridiculous statement has graders with X-Ray eyes.

When a "gem lab" issues a report calling a diamond VVS -then makes the disclaimer that the grade was done whilst the stone was mounted they are doing all of us a big favor- how? By proving beyond a shadow of a doubt that the report ( and lab) is uttelry and completely useless, and bogus.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/30/2004 2:55:51 PM
Author: diamondsbylauren
I''m going to agree with everyone that says send it back.

Let''s talk about grading reports.
The top five companies issuing grading reports are as follows
1) GIA
2) GIA
3) GIA
4) GIA
5) GIA

LEt''s talk about grading clarities on diamonds.
A VVS sized imperfection is incredibly tiny- so much so that you could hide 100 such spots under a prong.
Yet here we have a company claiming that they can tell if a diamond is VVS ''Graded as Mounting Permits'' ( that means they checked the diamond while it was in a ring)

Oh, I forgot, the lab that issued such a ridiculous statement has graders with X-Ray eyes.

When a ''gem lab'' issues a report calling a diamond VVS -then makes the disclaimer that the grade was done whilst the stone was mounted they are doing all of us a big favor- how? By proving beyond a shadow of a doubt that the report ( and lab) is uttelry and completely useless, and bogus.
Hi, David --
Question for you...
Don''t you sell stones graded by EGL???
2.gif

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
VVS 1 - graded as mounting permits......

Of course in the legimate world of Diamond Grading this really is sort of a smack in the face..and the stone needs to be graded loose. Graded as far as mounting permits is a cop out... Suppose it has a feather that breaks the surface on the edge of the stone, and its hidden under a prong.... VOILA from VVS to possibly an SI stone.

On GIA reports they state the system used and its nomenclature is the GIA system

AGS says their cut system is theirs.

Although unlikely, Global may use their own grading scale - A Global VVS might be a GIA VS . GIA and AGS are the best labs

You need to know what grading system is applicable to the diamond on the report.

Rockdoc

Rockdoc

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results