shape
carat
color
clarity

Ebay dilemma: Should I leave neutral/neg feedback?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Experienced Ebayers, I need some advice.

I bought a piece of antique jewelry--a Georgian miniature painting under glass, set in a gold pendant--from an ebay seller with over 100% positive feedback for the past couple of years, and over 5000 feedbacks total. Her auctions have lots of very high quality photos, very detailed and professionally photographed. Looking at the photos, I saw what seemed to be a chip in the glass and a crack in whatever the painting is painted on, probably ivory.

The description pointed out the apparent chip, but said it wasn''t damage to the glass, but instead was a "very slight moisture mark."

In all but two of the photos, the apparent crack in the ivory showed up clearly as a line across the piece. More alarmingly, in the two biggest closeups of the area, the line seemed to be crudely and incompletely photoshopped out.

I emailed the seller to ask about this. She told me she''d examined the piece carefully through her loupe and while she saw the line, it wasn''t a crack. She thought it might be a faint scratch. She assured me that she would never photoshop a photo and said that the apparent photoshopping might be an artifact of the scanner used for that particular image. She posted our exchange on the listing, so other bidders could see my question and her answer.

This all seemed kind of odd, but she had perfect feedback and I really wanted the pendant. It''s a sentimental piece, rather than a mourning piece like they usually are, and it harmonizes wonderfully with my beloved anniversary ring, which is also a miniature from the same period, with similar symbolic subject matter.

So I went ahead and bid, and I won.

When the item arrived, lo and behold: A chip and a crack. Clear as day. You can feel the chip with your fingernail. You''d have to be pretty blind to miss the crack, especially through a loupe.

I emailed the seller and suggested that I take the piece to an independent appraiser. If he confirmed that the chip was a chip, I suggested, she would pay the fee. If he agreed with her that it was a "moisture mark" and not damage to the glass, I would pay. I told her that depending on what the appraiser had to say, I would either want to return it for a refund or keep it and ask for a partial refund.

She wrote back and told me to just return it for a refund. She said she didn''t want to incur appraisers'' fees. She said, "I''m sorry if I''ve missed something. It was not intentional, and our best effort is always to the end result of a happy buyer. My eyes are getting older, but our images are always extra large and clear. I might have misread something on the image?"

The price I paid was more than fair for an item without a chip and a crack. For the same item with the chip and the crack, I''m not so sure. It''s a lot of money for me. But I do love the piece, I''m confident that it''s authentic, and I don''t think I''ll ever find one quite like this again. So I''m leaning toward keeping it.

But I don''t know what to do about the feedback.

On the one hand, the business about the chip might have been an honest mistake if she has bad eyesight. And the crack is faint, so I guess someone with bad eyesight might have made a mistake about that too.

But the business with the apparent photoshopping seems pretty fishy. If the other bidders believed her about the piece being in "excellent" condition, they may have bid higher than they would have if she had disclosed the damage, thus bumping my winning bid up.

So what should I do? Keep it, but leave negative or neutral feedback to warn other potential buyers that her descriptions aren''t as trustworthy as they might sound? Keep it and don''t leave any feedback? Tell her I want to keep it, but I believe my winning bid was artificially raised by the way she misrepresented the condition, so I would like some money back (perhaps the amount I paid over her reserve price), or I''ll feel I have to leave neg or neutral feedback explaining the situation?

That last choice sounds like blackmail and goes against my grain.

She already left me positive feedback, by the way, as soon as I paid for the item.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

K9

Brilliant_Rock
First - you have earned your positive feedback as you bid and paid promptly for the item (or so I presume) so you must discard that from the issue. You have held up your end of the deal.

If you''d like to keep the item but perhaps would like a partial refund, you should definitely ask. Note though that if she declines a partial refund you will need to decide if the item is worth to you what you have paid, crack and all. If you get a partial, great. Do not threaten her with negative/neutral feedback. I don''t think you should leave a negative.

If she agrees to give you a partial, IMO, the transaction ended amicably and deserves positive. However, you can state in your feedback the seller made good on misrepresentation in her listing.

If there is no agreement to a partial refund and she states only a full refund on the return of the item, you could leave a neutral simply stating the misrepresentation in the listing, but seller accepted a return and a refund was made. Again, this is borderline because the seller is offering to make things right by offering you a refund.

You have no way of proving the image was altered and leaving a negative on speculation is unfair to the seller and to future bidders.

As someone who buys and sells on ebay, that''s my 2 cents. Good luck!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, K9muttlover.

I want to be fair to this seller, but I also want to be fair to future bidders on her auctions.

Looking through the positive feedbacks, I saw one or two other people who thought her items did not live up to the glowing descriptions of their condition. They mentioned that in their feedback, but they did leave positives.

I think what will probably happen with me is that she will refuse the partial refund and I will want to keep the piece anyway. In that case, I''m inclined to leave neutral feedback saying she misrepresented the damage and offered a full refund, but I decided to keep the piece. Is that fair?

What if I just keep the piece and leave the neutral feedback described above, without asking for a partial refund?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would put neutral. I would say that you asked and she said it wasn't a crack, but when you got it, it was.. clear as day. I would ask her for a partial refund to keep it. If she says no, return it for a full refund.

K9

Brilliant_Rock
I think you should at least ask for the refund - at least this way you''ll have asked and perhaps get a little money tossed back at you. If she doesn''t, then you''re not out anything as you have already decided to keep it.

It''s weird that the seller would attempt to photoshop a crack on some pics but not all. What''s the point then? Odd. In any case, you know the truth even if you can''t prove it.
1.gif

I think leaving neutral is fair as it''ll at least alert other buyers when scanning feedback. I just felt pretty strongly against negative as she is at least offering the refund.

I sure hope you''ll post pics of this unique treasure!!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I agree that negative is too strong, since she''s offering the full refund for return.

Also, although something weird is obviously going on, I get the feeling that whatever it is, it isn''t straightforward dishonesty. I''m certain the photos were altered with some kind of software (and so is my husband, who works with image software professionally), but only two of them, and pretty crudely. Why would she do that? If she were trying to deceive people, why not erase the line in all the photos?

Still, she did say she looked at the piece and the crack wasn''t a crack and the chip wasn''t a chip. Maybe she just doesn''t want to admit to herself how badly she needs new eyeglasses, or something like that.

Weird. But I do love the piece.

Thank you for your help with my dilemma.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Here, I'll show you. When this is all over I'll post photos of the entire piece, but meanwhile, here's part of one of her photos showing the crack (and the chip, too, on the far right):

unalteredbird1.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
And here''s part of the photo where the crack has been partially erased:

alteredbird.jpg

K9

Brilliant_Rock
LOL - OMGosh, it looks like she used Paint to cover that line! It''s like she tried to hide the crack and then gave up and forgot and used the photos.

I really hope that she will give you the partial. At least you still have a piece you like at a more acceptable pricepoint.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Wow, ha that is extremely obvious with the crack - it looks like white-out!
Perhaps Gliter she has a partner in her ebay listings and wasn''t aware of the photo alteration? I agree something odd is going on..

Either way, I ditto K9''s advice.

blastdoor

Shiny_Rock
hmmm...

I am throwing out ideas on another perspective...

first off, the photo is definitely doctored... when buying online we rely a lot on mutual trust... I don''t know if she deliberately did that or did it, gave up and forgot to undo the touch-up, fact remains is, she, or someone working with her, did try to cover up a flaw on an item they were putting up on sale...

secondly, based on my own experiences buying and selling online, people who are quick to offer rectifications are usually people who knows they''ll lose on reasoning... its what some of us sellers call "trying our luck"... meaning if someone sells a flawed product under pretences, and the buyer doesn''t notice the flaw during the return period, the seller is in luck, and gets to let of of a flawed item on good price... but when they do get "caught", they are usually nice and quick to offer refunds or other rectification measures so the buyer won''t kick up a fuss or leave bad feedbacks / ratings..

I think you might want to think of it this way... if she didn''t have 100% positive ratings, if someone else had fedback about her items not matching their descriptions before, would you still bid and pay for this item as you did? or would you had gone for a lower price?

You have this bad experience now, true you might still love the item enough to want to keep it, but it is still mis-represented nonetheless, and a failing eyesight on the seller side is no excuse.. the next bidder might not be as lucky as you are... the important thing is not about "empathizing" with anyone or helping people maintain a perfect feedback record... the important thing is to be true to your heart how you feel about the experience so that others in future might refer to your experience when they consider placing a bid...

also true she gave you your positive feedback.. but in the first place you''ve earned it by keeping your end of the deal... that doesn''t mean you automaticaly owe her a positive feedback...

sorry this is so long... just my 2 cents worth...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/25/2009 5:15:29 AM
Author: blastdoor
hmmm...

I am throwing out ideas on another perspective...

first off, the photo is definitely doctored... when buying online we rely a lot on mutual trust... I don''t know if she deliberately did that or did it, gave up and forgot to undo the touch-up, fact remains is, she, or someone working with her, did try to cover up a flaw on an item they were putting up on sale...

secondly, based on my own experiences buying and selling online, people who are quick to offer rectifications are usually people who knows they''ll lose on reasoning... its what some of us sellers call ''trying our luck''... meaning if someone sells a flawed product under pretences, and the buyer doesn''t notice the flaw during the return period, the seller is in luck, and gets to let of of a flawed item on good price... but when they do get ''caught'', they are usually nice and quick to offer refunds or other rectification measures so the buyer won''t kick up a fuss or leave bad feedbacks / ratings..

I think you might want to think of it this way... if she didn''t have 100% positive ratings, if someone else had fedback about her items not matching their descriptions before, would you still bid and pay for this item as you did? or would you had gone for a lower price?

You have this bad experience now, true you might still love the item enough to want to keep it, but it is still mis-represented nonetheless, and a failing eyesight on the seller side is no excuse.. the next bidder might not be as lucky as you are... the important thing is not about ''empathizing'' with anyone or helping people maintain a perfect feedback record... the important thing is to be true to your heart how you feel about the experience so that others in future might refer to your experience when they consider placing a bid...

also true she gave you your positive feedback.. but in the first place you''ve earned it by keeping your end of the deal... that doesn''t mean you automaticaly owe her a positive feedback...

sorry this is so long... just my 2 cents worth...
Okay. This makes sense. I''m in the negative camp now.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That photo is clearly doctored. I say negative. And if she didnt doctor it she had better figure out who she is working with that did because its
going to cost her her good reputation! I dont know what you do about seeking any partial refund. In reality you probably deserve some partial
refund but she still deserves the negative feedback to warn other buyers.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Before you leave negative feedback, some sellers will refuse to sell items to a person who gives negative feedback. This is unfortunate, but true. I have purchased many things from ebay and have had bad experiences, but never anything that would warrant me to leave negative feedback. I think I would leave negative feedback if she didn't offer a refund or anything to accomodate you. You could also leave neutral feeback stating something like:

"The item had an obvious crack not fully disclosed in listing and photshopped, but seller offered to refund."

People that are educated consumers will read all positive feedback, and those that don't take a risk anyways, because that is the nature of ebay. I find that there are many people that will be more careful because they do investigate all feedback - positive as well as negative.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would say negative, but make sure you explain why. I think you should be clear about why the negative is being given so others are aware of the situation in the future and the seller doesn''t try to do this again to someone else with another piece.

RBD hunter

Rough_Rock
Do the right thing.
Neutral and you sent it back.

Let the seller know you are still interested in the piece at a lesser price.

Watch for it to be relisted....ask questions on the new listing....wait for your price or Find one without damage.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
The seller clearly doctored the photo--I'd let other buyers know via negative feedback.

If she's doctoring photos, she should not have the 100% positive--sorry.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Wow, so much thoughtful advice! Thank you all.

RBDHunter, I don't want to send it back and try my luck buying it again because I have a funny feeling she won't disclose the damage in the new listing, and what do I do then? And she might refuse to sell it to me again. Also, my husband said, "She altered the photo and lied about the chip. What makes you think you'll actually get the money back?" In fact, my gut says she will, but he does have a point.

TourmalineLover, the thought did cross my mind that if I neg her, others will refuse to sell to me. I have a perfect feedback record of about 200 over 5 years, all as a buyer (though someday I might want to sell). Wouldn't that weigh with sellers? I kind of think people who would refuse to sell to someone who leaves the rare deserved negative probably wouldn't be that good to deal with anyway. What about neutrals--do sellers refuse to sell to people who leave neutrals?

I'm leaning toward neutral no matter what happens, since she did offer the refund and the doctored picture and misrepresentation COULD be mistakes, but I definitely don't feel positive about the transaction. Even if she does partially refund me, I think I probably owe it to future buyers to point out that something isn't right.

Oh, one last weird misrepresentation. The piece is currently a pendant, but most of these pieces were made as brooches, and there are marks on the back where it should be obvious to anyone who's seen one before that a brooch pin and clasp were removed. But the seller described it as having been hinged originally and sealed at a later date. She mistook the place where the pin attached for a sealed hinge. She deals in lots of objects like this, so that seemed like a weird mistake to make.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Another thing that doesn''t make sense about this whole thing: Her business is selling fairly rare antiques. Surely her customers include serious collectors who will notice if something is wrong. It''s one thing to sell a bad diamond to a young man about to propose--he''s probably never bought a diamond before and maybe never will again, so he doesn''t know what to look for. But her customers will know!

Maybe it''s senility or something.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The picture has obviously been altered and she deserves a negative for that reason alone. That said, I understand why you would be hesitant to do it and this underscores a serious flaw in the ebay feedback system. People tend to assume that 2700 positive feedbacks means 2700 happy customers with 0 dissatisfied ones. This is patently incorrect. Even after your own positive feedback has been received, the possibility for retaliation is very real. It’s nearly certain that if you leave a neg saying something like ‘advertisement included altered photographs’, the seller will respond by denying everything. This exchange of only 2 lines consisting of an accusation and a denial will be forever linked to YOUR record, as well as theirs.

In the ebay universe, a neutral is the same as a negative for all practical purposes.

The high road? Leave the Neg and feel smug in knowing that you’ve helped out both the next shopper and probably even the seller (she will either stop doing this or at least learn to do it more skillfully).

The safe road? Do nothing. It’s ebays problem, it’s ebays fault and only ebay can really deal with it. Why make it your own problem when you have nothing to gain quite possibly something to lose by it.

My advice is leave the negative because it’s true and it’s the right thing to do. Sometimes there are personal consequences for standing up for the truth. Often they are far more dire than this. Not to sound preachy but virtue is it’s own reward. If that means that you miss out on some deals in the future, so be it.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Neil, I want to keep the piece. My husband loves it too. (I just wish it weren''t damaged and I hadn''t been lied to!)

Do I ask for a partial refund?

Do I still give her a negative feedback whether or not she gives me a partial refund?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/25/2009 12:15:41 PM
Author: glitterata
Neil, I want to keep the piece. My husband loves it too. (I just wish it weren''t damaged and I hadn''t been lied to!)

Do I still give her a negative feedback whether or not she gives me a partial refund?
It''s an unspoken ebay rule to not give a negative feedback if a refund or partial refund is given. It''s given in the hope that you will NOT give a negative feedback.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/25/2009 12:15:41 PM

This is only something you can answer IMO...but that being said just make sure you don''t threaten to leave negative unless she gives you what you want, it''s feedback extortion and ebay actually does take it seriously. (Not saying you would of course)

If she gives you a partial refund that you are satisfied with I would leave a comment like "item misrepresented, gave partial refund to correct" or something like that so people know that the item WAS misrepresented, but that ultimately you are satisfied.

K9

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s how I look at it. If you go to a restaurant and receive crappy service/food/etc, and you decide to complain and have your meal comp''d or partially reimbursed, then the business did what it could to make it right for you. You don''t get to further complain and post flyers around the neighborhood stating how the restaurant robbed you.

The seller is offering a reimbursement and doing all she can to make the transaction right. This does not warrant a negative.

You can''t give negative feedback just for the altered photos - the buyer is to some degree at fault for taking the risk when the evidence was clearly in front of her. The buyer also points out there were feedbacks that noted items may not have been up to par in the past - so, the buyer took a risk. Everything on ebay is a risk... it''s not like going to an antique shoppe and touching/seeing items in person before you decide. All you have to go on are the images provided.

Does the buyer deserve a partial refund - I think so.

I still think you should request a partial refund - have a dollar amount in mind that you request to the seller Glitterata. You already know you''re going to keep it, so if you get some money back, that''s great.

I guess in the end, the feedback is up to you and what you feel good about and comfortable leaving.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you ask for a refund in accordance with the terms and you get it, I think you shouldn’t give a negative. The suggestion of a ‘positive’ with words explaining what happened seems appropriate here.

If you ask for a partial and you keep the goods, you are renegotiating the deal in light of the current information. I agree with the above that it’s fair to expect part of the reason that the seller would want to negotiate with you includes avoiding a neg. It''s a new deal and I think it would be disingenuous to make a deal and then stick them anyway unless it is clear during the negotiation that this is not included. Fat chance you’ll get what you want if you do this.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Negative feedback for me is when the seller wants to stick me with their problem. Since the seller is willing to accept the piece back with a full refund, I would not neg.

IMO you either keep it for your bid, or you return it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/25/2009 11:24:37 AM
Wow, so much thoughtful advice! Thank you all.

RBDHunter, I don''t want to send it back and try my luck buying it again because I have a funny feeling she won''t disclose the damage in the new listing, and what do I do then? And she might refuse to sell it to me again. Also, my husband said, ''She altered the photo and lied about the chip. What makes you think you''ll actually get the money back?'' In fact, my gut says she will, but he does have a point.

TourmalineLover, the thought did cross my mind that if I neg her, others will refuse to sell to me. I have a perfect feedback record of about 200 over 5 years, all as a buyer (though someday I might want to sell). Wouldn''t that weigh with sellers? I kind of think people who would refuse to sell to someone who leaves the rare deserved negative probably wouldn''t be that good to deal with anyway. What about neutrals--do sellers refuse to sell to people who leave neutrals?

I''m leaning toward neutral no matter what happens, since she did offer the refund and the doctored picture and misrepresentation COULD be mistakes, but I definitely don''t feel positive about the transaction. Even if she does partially refund me, I think I probably owe it to future buyers to point out that something isn''t right.

Oh, one last weird misrepresentation. The piece is currently a pendant, but most of these pieces were made as brooches, and there are marks on the back where it should be obvious to anyone who''s seen one before that a brooch pin and clasp were removed. But the seller described it as having been hinged originally and sealed at a later date. She mistook the place where the pin attached for a sealed hinge. She deals in lots of objects like this, so that seemed like a weird mistake to make.
Not necessarily true. There are some sellers that are very proud of their feedback and work very hard to keep it that way, and there are some buyers that just leave negative feedback for poor reasons that were not the sellers fault. I think that although some sellers would be difficult to work with because of that, I can also understand the seller not wanting to sell an item to a person who has given negative feedback. Right or wrong, they are protecting themselves, and it''s not always an indication of poor merchandise, or refusal to be a good negotiator if the transaction has a less than positive outcome.

I personally would not want to marr my own feedback or my ability to purchase something from someone else because of this. Recently I purchased an aquamarine and the seller told me it was medium color. The color was way too light, but I left a positive feedback rating stating that the color was "lighter than expected." I do think people read that comment and I did see his sales slightly decline. Since there is a flaw in the feedback system, I do recommend that you use the star system to give her a low rating on "item as described." That is anonymous and I think it''s good that ebay enacted the star ratings because they also see obvious flaws with their feedback system.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry that your experience with this seller was disappointing. Sellers with 100% feedback are an asset to Ebay, and they work hard to keep their buyers happy. I would think carefully before I leave negative feedback unless the seller simply refuses to cooperate with you. Sellers are not allowed to leave negative feedback on Ebay anymore, but buyers still can. If the item was not what you expected, and the seller is willing to give you a full refund should you decide to return it, then I don''t think a negative feedback warrants it.

You mentioned that you want to keep the item, despite the unexpected damage. But why would you want a partial refund? The seller will then have to take a slight loss. If you keep it, you accept the transaction and the seller is no longer obligated to reimburse you. I think it would be unfair for you to leave a negative or neutral feedback if you decided to keep an item that you are not completely happy with. You had the option to get a full refund, but you didn''t take it.

I don''t mean to sound harsh, but this is the type of thing that caused retaliatory feedback between buyers and sellers on Ebay in the first place. Yes, there are shady sellers out there. But there are also buyers who fail to do their research, who buy on impulse, and in the end, honest sellers are the ones that get hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results