shape
carat
color
clarity

E-rings versus Store rings

bucsoftb

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

Getting ready to purchase an engagement ring and ask the big question. After looking at some rings in Zales and then at James Allen, the rings online at JA were considerably cheaper.

My question... is there a stigma surrounding "e-rings?" When someone asks the finance, "oh beautiful ring, where did he get it," will she feel lesser by saying he got it online? She is not materialistic or anything, but I am honestly just curious if the uneducated population will feel like the e-rings are lesser quality than "name-brand store rinngs"

Does anybody feel any different having bought/received a "James Allen e-ring" as opposed to a more widely-known B&M ring?

Thanks
J

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
My original engagement ring was purchased by my husband was from Zales. Knowing what I know now, I would have much rather he bought it from an online vendor, though I don't fault him because he did not know any better. Many chain jewelers are greatly overpriced and poor quality.

Orchid Lei

Shiny_Rock
Do people ask where the engagement ring came from usually?

I personally would totally go the online way, you get so much more for you money!

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Quite a few people ask me where we purchased my wedding rings. I have no problem with this question, whether it be from an online vendor or from a B&M store. They love the ring and want to know where they might find something like it or another piece of jewelry.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
People ask. But short of "Tiffany" or "Cartier" or other high end store there is no cachet. Zales is certainly not to going to impress. What WILL impress is a sparkly beautiful stone of higher cut quality and light return than they've ever seen. Then they WILL be asking-- because they will be impressed with the ring and want one that nice for themselves.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Its not that there is a stigma to a ring bought online (there isn't)- it's just that when you first tell the "general population" that you can buy diamond online, many will at first react with disbelief and scepticism (sp?) that there are diamonds for sale on the Internet let alone honest dealers let alone standardized quality (ie with an AGS or GIA report). I hope this helps clarify because as Gypsy said unless it comes from one of the "high jewelry" houses it doesn't impress one way or another in the context you mean.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just so you know, we use "e-ring" on this forum to mean "engagement ring". It's just too long to type out every time!

I can't really recall if anyone has ever asked me where my rings came from, but I would say my e-ring came from a wonderful jeweler in NY and my w-band came from Tiffany. The online part just isn't relevant in my opinion.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1322801541|3072777 said:
People ask. But short of "Tiffany" or "Cartier" or other high end store there is no cachet. Zales is certainly not to going to impress. What WILL impress is a sparkly beautiful stone of higher cut quality and light return than they've ever seen. Then they WILL be asking-- because they will be impressed with the ring and want one that nice for themselves.

This. I'd actually go so far as to say that in my social circle, hearing that it came from a store in the mall would be a negative.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's funny to me that people still think of buying diamonds online as scarier, or riskier, or less prestigious. I would rather buy my diamonds online because I can see blown-up pictures and compare massive amounts of inventory. Even if it were more expensive, I would feel more comfortable buying from JA than most B&M stores.

DiamondsDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
sonnyjane|1322805213|3072798 said:
I'd actually go so far as to say that in my social circle, hearing that it came from a store in the mall would be a negative.

Agreed. For individuals who are knowledgeable about diamonds and diamond vendors (both online and store vendors), saying that you bought a stone at a mall store would mean that you probably got an inferior diamond at an inflated price.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1322802668|3072787 said:
Just so you know, we use "e-ring" on this forum to mean "engagement ring". It's just too long to type out every time!

I can't really recall if anyone has ever asked me where my rings came from, but I would say my e-ring came from a wonderful jeweler in NY and my w-band came from Tiffany. The online part just isn't relevant in my opinion.

Right. Whiteflash or BGD = wonderful jeweler in Houston. James Allen or GOG or ERD = wonderful jeweler in NY.

Etc. ;-)

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Laila619|1322805924|3072804 said:
diamondseeker2006|1322802668|3072787 said:

Right. Whiteflash or BGD = wonderful jeweler in Houston. James Allen or GOG or ERD = wonderful jeweler in NY.

Etc. ;-)

Agree. You don't have to say you bought it online if you don't want to disclose that. And, yes, I think among some consumers there is a stigma about buying a ring online. Most people know nothing about jewelry, and the ad campaigns that Zales and Kay run certainly make their merchandise seem better than it is in real life. There was a gentleman who posted here about a year ago, who ended up buying a beautiful ring from one of the major online vendors recommended here (not Blue Nile). It was a beautiful ring. However, after he proposed, he was back on this forum several times complaining about the ring, because his girlfriend was not happy with the plating on the ring. He kept calling the rings "junk." He was wrong about that, in my opinion, but I always suspected that once his fiance found out that he bought the ring from an online vendor, she was not happy about it, and thought it was somehow lesser in quality than her friends' rings. Hence the constant complaining about the quality of the ring. So I think you are wise to consider how an online purchase of something as important as an engagement ring may be perceived by your fiance-to-be, and your friends and family. Mind you, I'm not suggesting you buy from Zales or Kay :knockout: but I am suggesting that you consider how you're going to answer the question "where did you buy the ring?"

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results