shape
carat
color
clarity

Durability factor for Princess Cut diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

The Mole

Rough_Rock
I have not seen this mentioned before so I thought I would share some interesting Princess Cut information.

Princess cut diamonds have a very unique durability issue, the corner. As most know anything that comes to a "point" on diamond is vulnarable to chipping. What alot of people do not know, is with princess cuts you can have a more durable corner.

The first picture is an example of a less durable corner. There is an extra facet causing the girdle to terminate at the corner creating a "point". Please try to not pay attention to how thick this particular girdle happens to be
2.gif
This type of corner configuration is EXTREMELY vunerable to chipping. Most of the time it will be chipped when it is set and you won''t ever know until you go to trade it in, or reset it into another ring. If it happens to survive the setting process, it is only a matter of time until the ring is hit a certain way and the stone chips. Insurance is highly reccomended for these type of corners.

princess_badcorner [640x480].jpg

The Mole

Rough_Rock
The second picture is an example of a correct corner. Note that the girdle completely wraps around the corner further protecting it from impact. This is by no means fool proof, but any advantage that you can get is good!
1.gif

princess_goodcorner2 [640x480].jpg

cujo1

Rough_Rock
will all cut above princess have a correct corner? Or wait is that corner broken off?

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hey Garry,

This protective technique is called chamfering, and we routinely use it on all our princess-cuts too.

Live long,

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/26/2008 6:54:48 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
Apparently some labs frown on it Paul - is this true?
I know AGS support it.
They should all promote it and penalize stones without.

Up to 1% can also raise the yeild slightly occasionally?
Are they identifying those as Modified + modified square brilliants?
9.gif

The Mole

Rough_Rock
Would that not classify the princess cut as a Cut-Cornered Square Modified Brilliant?

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/26/2008 11:27:45 AM
Author: The Mole
Would that not classify the princess cut as a Cut-Cornered Square Modified Brilliant?
AGS tries to keep things simple for consumers by calling a Princess a Princess based on shape and not whether the corners are chamfered. From the AGS "for diamonds that have sharp corners or points, e.g. princess, pear, marquise, heart, etc. chamfering is allowed to the extent that it improves durability without obviously changing the shape of the stone." Graphic copyright AGS 2005.

ags-chamfer-ex.jpg

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/26/2008 11:27:45 AM
Author: The Mole
No. Here is a graphic used with permission from AGS that clarifies their position.

Wink

ags-chamfer-uwt.jpg

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh sure, just beat me to the punch by 25 seconds!

Seems we both attended the same AGS lectures and got the same disk full of great photos!

Wink

The Mole

Rough_Rock
That certainly clarifies AGS''s position, however what about GIA?

I also wonder to what extent AGS will allow without then terming the stone a Cut-Cornered square modified brilliant cut. It certainly makes it alot easier to take care of a princess cut with a chipped corner...
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results