shape
carat
color
clarity

"DREAM TEAM" - Q#3 - LOCKED IN/B&M

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Thanks, "Team" for help with Q#1-Q2 so far!. (see conclusions listed below) /www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

Well, I’ve got myself locked in to when I need to make this all happen.Thanks to a new hub coming to Charlotte, I was able to get roundtrip air to Italy (Venice/Florence) in April for $305, including taxes. (Hope I can do as great a deal with the stone…lol).SO, on April 9, 2004, on a gondola with serenade, the question is going to be popped (and the ring produced).So, now I need to get busy!

QUESTION # 3- Brick & Morter reviews.I’ve researched a lot through PS forum.Now I want to gain a visual appreciation for differences in stones, based on many of your suggestions.I plan to purchase the stone in the Jan/Feb time frame, setting made in March and “presto” in ApriL!Please help me by reviewing my strategy to be applied over the next 2 weeks .My plans continue to be that I will consider online and B&M prior to any purchase.

OK – now I feel ready to go do some due diligence at the b&m stores.My strategy is to call a few stores a week in advance asking to set up some appts to look at loose stones.I’d like to see a couple stones with differing colors (d, E, F) to see the differences to my sight.Should all the stones be comparable in size or does this not matter for this exercise?/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

I also want to see the difference between vvs, vs, SI.I was planning to ask another store to show me 3 – 1ct stones to help me see the differences in clarity.Should I request all the same color??Will the size matter?/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

Next, I planned to view two comparably sized princess stones, one having a larger table then depth, the other the converse to gain some site perception on stone physical shapes/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

What tools should I plan on using/requesting to show me light return/scintillation?/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

I plan to ask each of the stores what they would sale the stones for compared to RAP values.Is this reasonable?/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

Is there any other thing that I should plan to do or, for that matter rethink???

LASTLY, PLEASE NOTE MY NEW TARGET LISTED BELOW!/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

"Thanks" Team!
"Appreciative-of-expertise"/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]referrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600">/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]ath o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f">/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]ath>
read.gif

Other Posts:
Q#2 – Princess Cuts/Dimensions
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/dream-team-q-2-princess-cuts-dimensions.10096/}/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

NEW TARGET:3-3.33ct, square princess, depth 9%, E-F, VS, cut=1A-B – 2, thin-med – med/slightly thick girdle, “Great light return”, Light return will take priority over specs.Budget remains at $34k, incl setting./www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

Conclusions:
1. Scintilation is important-how others will visually see the stone. Graining, though important, can most likely be addressed by concentrating on light leakage instead.Read posts within. /www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

2. Princess cuts are more complex then rounds; Critical components, technically speaking, are crown and pavilian angles and their ratio to each.Can’t go by specs alone; optically could be a dud; see Rhino’s posts within/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

3.Imperative to visually review stones due to #1.Work with a vendor who has the tools to help you assess the quality of the stone.; ie, Ideal Scope for light leakage, Sarin for proportions, Bscope for different types of lighting impacts.Most B&M shops will not have these tools.Purchase the Ideal Scope from this site to take with you when conducting store visits/reviews of stones.Work with vendors who have some of these tools.
4. With respect to symmetry and polish, both should be ranked at least “good”, perhaps priority to lean more to symmetry score then polish
4. Be open-minded to look at stones outside of your technical specs that you start with.Again, rely also on visual review of stones/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

Q#1 - Color/Clarity https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/dream-team-q1-princess-color-clarity.10029/
Conclusions:
1. Target F-VS2/E-VS1, Faint – Neg. Florescent.
2. Body color is more apparent in Fancy cuts. Rely on “human visual capabilities”; review/compare stones for color & clarity differences in B&M shops in December
3. A VS stone will not have any face up visible inclusions if it was graded correctly.
4. Budget is still in line with my expectations./www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>Orig. Post: (90 DAY PLAN)3 Ct Princess + setting
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/forming-90-day-dream-team-wanna-join.9966/ style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: ''Times New Roman''; mso-fareast-font-family: ''Times New Roman''; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">
$34k budget

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Hello! Your project is so logical!
In first place, congrats for choosing Italy. I am Italian and can confirm you that you'll be amazed atthe beauty of those places.
1.gif

To answer your questions:

OK – now I feel ready to go do some due diligence at the b&m stores. My strategy is to call a few stores a week in advance asking to set up some appts to look at loose stones. I’d like to see a couple stones with differing colors (d, E, F) to see the differences to my sight. Should all the stones be comparable in size or does this not matter for this exercise?>>
Yes, size matters. The larger the stone, the more evident the color. Yes, even in an F color. BUT I wouldn't expect a store to keep in stock D,E,F princesses in the size you want. Maybe they have one stone, but probably not more. If you want, you can ask them to get some stones on 'memo' but it will be very expensive for the jeweler, as he has to pay shipping on several stones. Believe me, it's NOT cheap.

I also want to see the difference between vvs, vs, SI. I was planning to ask another store to show me 3 – 1ct stones to help me see the differences in clarity. Should I request all the same color?? Will the size matter?>>
As I told you, in your size range, I would go with a VS 2 or better. Most SI's won't be 100% eye clean --there are always exceptions, but why should you risk when you have sucha budget? Again, if you want to see how a VVS, VS or SI stone looks under the scope, you'll probably have to check out rounds. I doubt that a store (unless you go to a super posh place) will have 3 similarly sized princesses, one in VVS clarity, the other VS and the last SI. Color shouldn't give you any problem. Yes, size matters a lot. Most SI 1's under 1ct are eye-clean, but the great majority or 3caraters aren't. So it's all about size.

>>

Next, I planned to view two comparably sized princess stones, one having a larger table then depth, the other the converse to gain some site perception on stone physical shapes>>
Yes, very good idea, but again, are you sure you can find it? I don't want to burst your bubble, but I think you'll have a hard time finding so many similarly sized princesses in the same place.
>>

What tools should I plan on using/requesting to show me light return/scintillation?>>
You could bring with you your idealscope... Maybe, if you go to an upscale place they'll have a Sarin... But not much more... Very, very few places have a BrillianceScope. When it comes to fancy shape the best tool are your eyes.
>>

I plan to ask each of the stores what they would sale the stones for compared to RAP values. Is this reasonable?>>
Yes, but Rap isn't very useful for consumers. You can get a dog at 50% off the Rap, or a great stone at 10% off the rap... Which is the best bargain??
2.gif

Is there any other thing that I should plan to do or, for that matter rethink???
Yeah, maybe you should see if you like fluorescence... It's very cool and many people love it.
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The plan looks good. I don't know too many stores who could provide such a range of cuts and qualities for your inspection. However, some of the posts here confess that this is how Jonathan sells his diamonds... by showing samples off (ok, maybe not that many). A couple of buyers have spent hours
1.gif
going through the process! If a trip to Italy is Ok, ho about NY?

Thanks Giangi - the Italy trip is going to also be a surprise (this one at xmas!) Thanks for your pointers and I do understand the challenge of find comparative stones in my market size. Hence, my question as to the value of looking at smaller sizes. I will be doing most of my research in Pittsburgh and plan to go to Biddle Banks, and a number of so called wholesalers in an area called the Clark Building. Also resident there are Diamond Importers and Goldstock. I was hoping to divide and conquer amongst them as I don't expect them to incur expense when I am not confident
read.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results