shape
carat
color
clarity

Double (and separate) shank settings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Pennells

Rough_Rock
Hi guys,

A few weeks ago someone posted pics of their newly set RB (I''m not sure if it was an upgrade or not), and the setting was really unique. It consisted of two separate and parallel shanks with the stone attached by two prongs on each shank.

I''m not doing a very good job of describing this, but hopefully it rings some bells with other people who saw the thread! Actually now that I come to think about it, I''m not even sure it was on PS - it may have been posted on DT.

I have searched and searched and searched but I can''t find the original thread, or even anything that comes close anywhere else.

Can someone please help!!

Cheers,
Penny

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
The only thing I''ve seen recently that even remotely sounds like what you''re describing is a wax cast of ukieza''s setting for a princess stone, in this thread. Here''s a picture of it. I know it''s not exactly what you''re looking for, but is this at least anything like what you''re trying to describe with the prongs?

ukieza princess wax.jpg

Pennells

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your reply FireGoddess :)

The one I am thinking of has the two shanks further apart, and it looks like they are only held together by the diamond itself (though presumably the prongs are joined and there''s something holding everything together at the bottom as well).

I want to give a jeweller a photo to get a quote on making the setting, but as evidenced by my terrible description in my first post, I need a photo!
20.gif

The search continues....

Cheers,
Penny

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
Do you mean a split shank like this? Cushion here instead of a RB, but same idea...I think its what you''re describing at least.

9163.jpg

Pennells

Rough_Rock
Hi Blue,

No it is not a split shank, the shanks are definitely paralell and separate - at least for the portion of the ring you can see from a face-up position.

It''s also plain and not pave or anything like that.

Thanks for the effort though :)

I WISH I could remember who posted it! It''s driving me mental..
26.gif

Cheers,
Penny

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it this one?

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are you thinking like, two completely separate rings, held together only at the top where the diamond is? For example, like Britney spears ring but instead of being joined at the bottom, be 2 separate bands?

spears1.jpg

Pennells

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/12/2005 11:27:12 PM
Author: FireGoddess
Are you thinking like, two completely separate rings, held together only at the top where the diamond is? For example, like Britney spears ring but instead of being joined at the bottom, be 2 separate bands?
Yes - at least it LOOKED like two completely separate bands. I would assume for stength that there was something joining the two both at the top and the bottom - either solidly filled or a bar that was perpendicular to the two bands. I.e. so the bands remained the same distance apart throughout the whole diameter of the ring.

The pic of Britney's ring is along the right lines apart from the slight taper. The join on the one I'm thinking must have been further down than Britney's as well, because you couldn't see it at all from a "face up" view. The bands were plain and thin as well, e.g. 1 - 1.5mm in width, and were also further apart.

Thanks for all your help so far!! Sorry for my crappy descriptions!

Cheers,
Penny

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
......maybe?.....

leondoubleband_1.jpg

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
What belle posted is what I''ve been imagining you mean, but couldn''t find a picture of. Is she close??

Pennells

Rough_Rock
Nope
39.gif

The Britney ring was probably the closest, except the bands were plain and further apart, the "join" was further down, and there was no taper as the two bands joined. The bands remained paralell to each other.

Sigh. I might have to look through all the DT posts in the past month to find it! I have looked through the entire "Show Me the Ring" thread too to no avail.

Oh well! Thanks for your efforts guys!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results